Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Ron Francis AP-97 Wiring Harness Help

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ceegan, May 13, 2019.

1. If you're planning on doing any wiring, a multi-meter is a must-have. HF sells super-cheap ones that will get you by for under $10, a moderate-quality one will be around $40, a top-drawer unit like a Fluke will be several hundred.

To just check continuity, turn the meter to the lowest ohm scale available if selectable (some meters are auto-ranging, they'll automatically select the lowest range) which will be the lowest one that doesn't have a K or M in front of the ohm symbol. The meter should read zero (or very close to zero) when the ends of the probes are touched together. Once you have that established, use the probes between the two points you want to check for continuity, if it zeros out they're connected. In your case, you want to check between those two large connections on the back and each circuit connection on the terminal strips.

Guys get hung up on 'wire colors', wire color is merely a guide. While black is generally used as a ground on vehicles, that doesn't always mean a black wire is a ground. It can just as easily be a power wire...

2. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I agree. They both are on the other side of both 60 amp fuses. I'm referring to the ground terminal on the face side. It would make more sense if it were for grounding purposes (in) to the fuse box more than a ground source (out). Especially if none of the mounting holes provide any ground source for the relay.

3. TubT

TubT
    from Texas

I am installing this same panel.
    The black wire is definitely a ground. Zero point 1 ohms between the ground screw on the front and this black wire. First instructions in the manual: Ground the battery to one of the starter bolts (I always do, anyway.) Second, connect this black wire to that same location.
    So, this particular panel has a chassis ground on it. End of argument. That may well not be true of most other panels, such as the $33 ebay panel I also have here on my desk. But Ron Francis knows auto wiring if anyone does, and builds excellent panels. I don't know if any others have this little quirk, but the AP-97 definitely does.

Ceegan likes this.
  4. Ceegan

Ceegan

Thanks for clearing that up for everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app