Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Remember when vehicles rattled.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Old wolf, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

2. catdad49

catdad49

I only worry about the "new" ones!

3. In East Gary Indiana (Now Lake Station) just before it intersects with route 51 there was a huge oak tree right in the middle of Marquette road. My then future brother in law ( Married my eldest sister in 1959). was driving his fathers new 55 ford. and was looking for a rattle. and hit that tree dead center. When he explained to his father I was looking for a rattle. His dad said well its got lots of rattles now. When he married my sister his dad gave them that 55 ford it had been fixed right after kissing the tree. He traded in on a new Simca. the Simca had a rattle somewhere underneat. So this Dumb Dumb gets under the car and tightens every bolt he sees until its as tight as possible. Gets in fires it up and the car will not move. He had tightened the brakes.

mitch 36 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  4. Richard Head

Richard Head

I’ve got 80 miles on my 33 Ford pickup since I got it running. While chasing bugs, I keep hearing this random metal hitting metal noise that I couldn’t seem to place. Today it dawned on me that it’s the tailgate chains blowing around at speed. The other trucks I’ve had, I removed the chains and bolted the tailgate shut.
    Dave

5. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I don't have to remember when they squeaked. I was reminded when I bought a new truck last August and with less than a thousand miles on it I had to take it back in cause the brake peddle squeaked and the driver's side mirror was rattling.

Nostrebor likes this.
  6. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

When I bought my 39 Buick my father told me when he was a teen the man next door (chief of police)
    bought a new Buick. It had a rattle from day one, he brought it to the dealer several times. It was finally traced down to the gas filler that went thru the fender. He asked why a fairly expensive car would not
    have a gasket there to stop the rattle, he was told figure a .50 part times 100000 cars. Nothing new in this world.

weps likes this.
  7. JackdaRabbit

JackdaRabbit
    from WNC

My daily use C-10 p-cup makes it's own music so I only play the radio when parked. Under the rusty diamond plate bed is the remains of the old wood. The loose fasteners add a nice jingle.

8. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

My OT suburban had 2 rattles, fixed those.. My 56 Dodge has 1 rattle in drivers door, squeak from fender welt on front right when going into driveway, other than that, you dont hear the tail gate chains hardly ever bang etc... My old hotrod I sold last year, exhaust was so loud you wouldnt know if there was a rattle or squeak.. The 29 ford I had, no rattles or squeaks, stock survivor car.. My 53 bel air... waiting for first drive but one control arm has a little squeak...

The squeaks and rattles are what make them cool, some rattles drive me nuts depending on its resonant frequency... I guess I am one of those that will see what it is, if its just something loose etc or lack of lube, fix it, if its bushings etc in latches, and everything on the car or truck works flawless then screw it, squeak and rattle baby...

9. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When we got the Model A running after a week of cleaning and replacing parts, my brother drove us around the block and over to a friend’s house. He wanted to show off the running Model A Coupe. As it chugged down the street, it rattled like nuts in a 7-up can. But, it was an old car with not much care taken to keep it in great condition.

It was in good condition, but not great. The drive was pretty great as we made it come alive. One thing we noticed was how much noise came from everywhere. The 4 cylinder motor chugged and rattled. The fenders rattled, other parts also rattled and made funny noises.

As much as it rattled, we were having a huge amount of fun driving that old Model A, rattles and all. Besides going around the block, we drove it over to our friend’s house near the Foster Freeze Store. First, we rewarded ourselves with a huge soft ice cream cone, for a job well done. (getting it running)

Then, we drove a ½ block to our friend’s house where the 1934 Olds powered Ford 5 window coupe was residing. I guess my brother wanted to show the friend what was coming up in his 34 Ford rear view mirror in a few months of work.

Then, years later, when we bought the 1940 Willys Coupe, it was a not taken care of under that canvas tarp. I am sure it was out of sight, out of mind. That lady wanted that coupe gone. So, we towed it home and started to get it to run. Why? When we knew what we were going to do with the whole car, we needed to get rid of the old motor/trans and running gear. It always helps to say “it runs or we had it running before removal from the chassis.” We kept it for almost a year under a cover in the backyard rumpus room and then sold it when everything was for sale in January 1961.

Jnaki

Did the Willys Coupe rattle? Not as much as the Model A we recovered earlier, but it did rattle somewhat. I am sure the Willys Coupe will always rattle, all old cars do at one time. But, with this motor we put in the motor compartment along with other go fast stuff, it did not matter if it did. We could not hear it.
    upload_2020-2-1_4-25-38.png similar motor from B. Balogh 1960

weps and bchctybob like this.
  10. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I like open EX

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  11. Andy K

Andy K

New cars still rattle. Especially if it is something exotic. There’s days that I want to drive my Maserati into a wall because the dash won’t stop. Still haven’t been able to find it and neither has the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

dana barlow likes this.
  12. Remember when?.... mine still does and she squeaks too.:):D

dana barlow likes this.
  13. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No, I'm reminded when I jump in.

14. LOL my cars rattle even the wife's late model pickup rattles. granted its got 250K on it so that may contribute.

I have a friend that is probably a little older than you and me ( @Old wolf ) he says that real not rods rartle, are breezy even with the windows rolled up, and usually uncomfortable. He may just be right. ;)

bchctybob likes this.
  15. 26Troadster

26Troadster

i drive a company truck a ot 99 ranger, you can hear it a block away. the a arm bushings squeak and no zerk fittings to grease them. i just turn the radio up louder.

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

One of my Uncles bought a brand new Olds 88 in 1968, nice, luxurious car with all the options, and a factory installed rattle! He carried it back to the dealer for six months until they finally found the rattle. There was a hand full of nuts and bolts tossed in one of the rear doors, probably at quitting time on the assembly line.

17. Nostrebor

Nostrebor

This.

My current company ride was new off the truck when I got it, and had a bed rattle on the trip home from the dealer that drilled straight through your brain if the back sliding glass was open. When I got to the office I called them and told them about it. They told me to close the slider, because they all do that and they can't figure out how to fix it.

I don't notice it much now over the other 20 rattles.:D

18. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

My 1983 Olds 98 was one of the best cars I ever had... No rattles either...

19. goldmountain

goldmountain

At least on the old cars you can find the screws that hold it together to fix the rattle. On my newer car, I can't. If I pry on something to find the hidden fasteners, I will probably break something.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

20. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’ve got my’56 Chevy and the wife’s Corsair pretty quiet now but my roadster; you had to leave the driver’s door hinge bolts loose so the door would latch and boy did it rattle! That’s why it’s spread all over my shop now.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

jnaki likes this.
  21. bchctybob

bchctybob

I had an early Mustang with a 289 with headers and dual exhaust. It had the strangest noise while accelerating. It only made the noise when the car was moving. I figured the exhaust was lying on or rubbing on something but I couldn’t find it. As you accelerated it sounded like Godzilla as he ravaged a city. It turned out it was the header tubes reverberating against each other at a certain rpm. I tack welded the pipes together and Godzilla went away. I never had headers do that before or since.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app