Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Former NASCAR Driver passed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 41rodderz, Jan 30, 2020.

1. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

John Andretti passed away. Battled cancer. 56 years old .

chryslerfan55 and Jalopy Joker like this.
  2. So very sad. He was one of the nice guys. Always a class act.

3. bchctybob

bchctybob

What a shame. He was one of my all time favorite race car drivers. One of the few to have driven Top Fuel dragsters and Indycars, he also drove in IMSA and NASCAR. Like A.J. and Tony Stewart, a racer's racer. I admired the way he greeted the fans both at the drags and at the Long Beach G.P. He seemed like a very humble and friendly guy. It is truly sad that he couldn't be one of the fortunate who are successfully treated and have his cancer go into remission.
    Prayers and condolences for the entire Andretti family. R.I.P. John

4. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Waaaay to young. He was a old school racer like his dad and uncle. Raced every form of open wheel cars from midgets to Indy cars, not to mention stocks, road racers and even T/F dragsters. R.I.P.

5. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ouch...way too young. Not a driver I followed but sad.....

6. John was a man of faith & loved his family, colon cancer is curable if caught early, any man should have a colonoscopy by the age of 50. HRP

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
  7. I'm shocked! Much to young, cancer sucks!

Deuces likes this.
  8. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

RIP John, you are in a better place now.

Deuces likes this.
  9. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I have one of the large die cast of his still in the box.

10. yep...a nice guy gone to soon.......

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  11. Fordors

Fordors

I wasn’t aware he had been stricken with cancer, as others said he left this world much too young.
    Godspeed John.

12. Sad to hear, a true racer's gentleman.

Deuces likes this.
  13. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

i do remember, him talking a few years back about the cancer, and he was informing everybody to get tested! wow ; really good guy. way to young!

Deuces likes this.
  14. beegator

beegator

Extremely talented man. RIP John.[​IMG]

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

a very sad day - Sincere sympathy goes out to his Family, friends and fans

16. wicarnut

wicarnut

17. hudson48

hudson48

Or even earlier with todays's diet. Have the son of a friend in his early 40's and only months or even weeks left.

18. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

19. deucendude

deucendude
    from norcal

Sad news about a really neat guy.

Deuces likes this.
  20. Live life to the fullest fellas

21. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

One of the classy guys.

Rest In Peace John...

Deuces likes this.
  22. RIP John, you were an extreme talent, but more importantly a great man who loved his family & God.

23. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I agree on the colonoscopy HRP. I was a little over 60 when I had my first one. A lot of people refuse to have one, but they need to rethink that thought. I don’t care for drinking that nasty tasting stuff, and the results but what it could save you is well worth it

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  24. Deuces

Deuces

25. I became aware of the dangers of the disease when a fellow club member, Will Drake was diagnosed with colon cancer in 2008, Will was a very likable guy and known by many through his long affiliation with NSRA, in the early 70's working as a South Carolina Safety Inspector, then move on to be a State Rep and lastly a Division Director.

Will was also a friend and he begged every member of our club to have a colonoscopy and don't let a little discomfort be the reason you end up like me.

Every member of our club did as Will ask, fortunately all but one member showed no signs and the member that did had the polyps were cancer free, but he will need to be checked more often.

I encourage all my fellow hambers to get checked, it could save your life. HRP

26. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Much too young. John Andretti did it all Indy cars, NASCAR, off road and even some top fuel drag racing. Met him at Atlanta Motor Speedway years ago and seemed like an a great guy and very easy to talk to.

I know it gets said a lot but colon cancer can be prevented. I have a family history with my sister dying of colon cancer and brother having part of his colon removed. If you have a family history, intestinal symptoms or are at the 40 year old threshold schedule an appointment and colonoscopy. Doesn't sound appealing, lots of jokes but it's easy, painless and gives you great peace of mind.

27. 34Larry

34Larry

28. If you let that "machismo" thing keep you from getting it done, you're just being foolish and rolling the dice with your life.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  29. Fordors

Fordors

I had my first exam last April, at the age of 70. I was not afraid, or not too machismo, just never took the time to schedule the procedure. My primary physician mentioned it often, even my cardiologist told me to go- he impressed upon me that it is not a nice way to die.
    Yes, the worst part is drinking that stuff, but no doubt that would pale in comparison to chemo. The exam was relatively brief and you will be given a “twilight” anesthesia, you may recall the first few seconds talking to the doctor but that’s it.
    In my case I had one tiny polyp and as a result I can term myself to be almost a perfect asshole. No doubt some here will disagree with that o_O
    It’s no big thing guys, just do it!

Offset and tractorguy like this.