Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone used the Mini Cooper dash guages in a street rod appllication yet?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by a1930ford, Jul 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. a1930ford

a1930ford

I was walking past one that was in the parking lot yesterday, and happened to notice tht the speedo is huge and the various guages on it were actually pretty neat to look at. The pics I have are not quite the same as the car that I saw, but give a basic idea. I was just wondering if anyone has tried the application of some of them into a street rod yet. They may not fit every dash and look out of place on some, but it may be something that works well on some rods. Anyone have pics of such to share? Also, anyone have a good pic of their new mini dash to show off the size of the speedometer and such? These pics don't really capture just how neat the car I saw looked. I think these are an earlier model or such.
    Thanks
    Huey

Attached Files:

2. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Really ugly in my opinion

Langy.

3. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

Not very traditional at all. :(

4. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

5. touchdowntodd

touchdowntodd

wow................. mini cooper and street rod alll in one thread title... somewhere the hot rod gods are crying over what weve done with this hobby

6. rad red

rad red
    from MN

Having just gutted one of these cars to make a full-fledged track car I can safely tell you that it would be REAL difficult if not impossible to turn that hunk of plastic into a decent hot rod insturment panel - trad or otherwise. It is a carefully engineered piece comprised of lots of funky little plastic doodads and it is all digital - you need the car's computer to make it work.

If you wanted to capture that look in a single-hole solution, I would look at the venerable VW, early Type 1 (bug) or Type 2 (bus) have no fuel gauge, later ones have it built in. All have turn indicators, brights, odometer, oil light, voltage light (tells you when your cooling fan belt is thrown...), and is 100% analog.

-rr

7. Steve M

Steve M

'49 or '50 Ford gets you all the gauges in one neat bundle with the speedometer. How could you possibly want anything more.

(Guess who owns a '50)

8. richydab

richydab
    from UK

Those new Mini instruments are horrible and after a few miles are tiring to look at....

9. Chad s

Chad s

Whats a street rod?:(

10. Skimmer

Skimmer

They build them BMW Mini's just across the road from were i live and the things are everywhere ,alot get leant to the employees to put miles on them .....dont think ive ever looked at the guages in one

11. flyingpolock

flyingpolock
    from PHX

If you're implying that the LAYOUT would be neat, sure... but the electronics nightmare, not to mention the modern Euro-look would kill the mood... Just my opinion though, and marriage has taught me that mine is often wrong...

12. a1930ford

a1930ford

Yup, just thinking of customizing ideas and not the crap that is it not "traditional." The think I like on the post so far, is that some fellows knew the things are an electronic nightmare. As I had posted, I had only walked past one in the parking lot. I love the larger speedometer in particular. Since not everything is always about "traditional' rods here, I still like the big speedo as an interesting idea for customization ideas. Changing the face plate would probably not be all that difficult a thing to do though. However, the reality is, that it is not worth the effort, due to the wiring and all. That is great info to know, as it kills the idea quickly.
    Thanks,
    Huey

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.