Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Drop Axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Road Angels, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Road Angels

Road Angels

Any one here purchased the new generation forged 4" drop axle from SoCal hot rod parts...was it well made and heavy duty...or is it the same crap speedway sells??

2. I have one I got in October.I like it well enough.Its heavy.Mine had tight kingpin bores that pins wouldn't slip in to without a hammer.I ended up honing by going back,and forth from top and bottom.Dont hone from one side only it will get loose on one side,and tight on the other.A machine shop could ream it for you too.Didnt take much but it does need to be done.Mine had fine pitting in a couple spots.You could give it a light touch up with bondo in those spots if you need ultra smooth.Paint alone might fill them too.Im running stock spindle arms,and they seem to have full turning space under the drop which is why I bought their axle.I bought the correct height axle for my 37-40 split wishbones,and they are a bit loose on the axle.Likely I will cut a shim out of thin sheet metal so theres a tighter fit.I don't want to have to run the spring perch nut up extra tight to close a gap.Over all I like it,but it does need a bit of detail work.

3. Road Angels

Road Angels

Thanks Steve that answers a lot of questions I had...I will keep the honing suggestion in mind...did you buy the plain axle...?

4. I did.Might drill it myself.

5. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Don’t all axels have to be reamed to your king pins?

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  6. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

no, just the spindles. unless it's a tube axle and the welding of the boss shrinks the hole. it should have been done by the maker but, in this day and age most don't. og will be ok unless worn out then that is another problem.

nochop likes this.
  7. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Been a while maybe that’s what I was thinking....reaming spindles

8. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Doesn’t sound like their quality is much better than Speedway. Would of expected a bit better quality control from SoCal. I guess in this day and age the standard are Lowe .

9. Road Angels

Road Angels

Steve did it have the country of origin on the box...??

10. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Why not just buy a stock dropped one from Okie Joe? A shit load stronger than this will bend stuff thats out there today.

guthriesmith and alanp561 like this.
  11. I do have the box yet.I cant find any markings like made in China,or proudly printed by Shirley,and team.The box ends are covered in brown paper SoCal tape to keep the axle from punching out though so I cant read the end flaps.Theres a big picture of the axle on the sides,and the box has So Cal printed in large letters.

12. 2935ford

2935ford

Yeah, my thoughts exactly. They have the Good stuff!

stubbsrodandcustom likes this.
  13. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I have sold between 40 and 50 So-Cal 47 inch I beams over the years to customers for the chassis I build. To date I have had no customer complaints. I recently bought one of their 5 inch axles and it looks good. I'm sure the 47 inch axles are made overseas because I've seen them stacked in a large container in the back room. I to have had to run a brake hone thru the axle ends on a few, especially the chrome axles. The 5 inch axles are just their 48 inch 4 inch axle dropped an extra inch by someone in southern California. If I was wanting a stock Ford axle dropped I'd be going to Greg Haynes/Anson Axles, he's the best!

continentaljohn and HemiDeuce like this.
  14. Road Angels

Road Angels

Thanks for the replies and axle ideas...but a dropped factory axle will not clear my steering components... and thanks Steve for taking the time to check out the box labeling