Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects *Read Before Posting* Abandoned finds that you have built or are building.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Jan 26, 2020.

1. scotts52

scotts52

I love thinking about the old days when so much vintage tin was laying around everywhere. I want to see pictures and projects that you found abandoned. As in over the hill, in the woods, by the creek, out in a field, etc. Not something that was bought but rather something that was free because either no one laid claim to it or because nobody cared anymore and tossed it out like garbage to waste away. I remember a couple of threads years ago where someone found a 37 Chevy coupe over a hillside. Another where they actually dug a truck out of the ground. Tell me the story of finding and rescuing and include pictures. If you didn't drag it home then leave that for another thread. Looking for ones that were actually saved.

2. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Is "laying claim to it" the same as stealing?

3. wow - there's like so many threads already......

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

My T frame came from the north forty of a friend of my dad's farm and I found my 22 dodge cowl in the woods. image.jpg image.jpg Those pieces turned into this image.jpg

32SEDAN, catdad49, wicarnut and 14 others like this.

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I read it. I grilled burgers for my family today.

6. scotts52

scotts52

Could you direct me to them? I'm not looking for a catch all like the behind the barn find or field find threads. A lot of those involved the exchange of money. I'm also looking to group as many as I can in one thread, not have 20 pages to sift through each individual story.

7. scotts52

scotts52

Do you have a project that you found for free that you'd like to contribute to the thread?

chopped likes this.
  8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

We also played some softball.

9. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Boneyard51 likes this.
  10. scotts52

scotts52

IMG_20181120_083637001.jpg My wife and I dug this old Dodge up while she was pregnant. It was sticking out of the ground at an angle. One side was out to about 6 inches up the bottom of the door. The other side only had about 8-10 inches sticking out. Took us about 3 different evenings and plenty of beer for me. Her being pregnant I had to drink for both of us

11. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Drink beer while pregnant wife digs. My hero. :)

12. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

So the kid is born, your wife says sell it. So you disassemble it and hide it at your friends house. Your kid is 10 by now. While hunting,@rusty rocket finds it and builds a cool car. Sorry,It`s been a long day.

blowby and Boneyard51 like this.
  13. scotts52

scotts52

Nope. My wife lets me bring home all the cars I want. She encourages our son to explore the field of dreams. I have LOTS of cars

chopped likes this.
  14. A friend of my brother's was given this partial 31 chevy pickup cowl/doors just to get it off the property. Brother gave it to me when he moved away and I whipped up this little underslung modified. A buddy ended up with it. Had a 235/3 speed. modified.jpg scan0039.jpg

catdad49 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This 27 body sat about 3/4 of a mile or so behind the house I live in now alongside a slough on a neighbor's place in the mid 60's where it had no doubt been for years on end. It was a Turtle Deck T with the turtle deck missing. I was still in High school and out bird hunting for pheasants along the slough that was filled with cat tails when I found it. The neighbor happened to be working with his tractor in the next field and I walked over and asked him if he would sell it and he said if I wanted that damned thing get it out of there as it wasn't worth anything to him. Two hours later my grandfather and I were unloading it in my moms yard from his 48 Chev 1 ton flatbed. I bought the chassis with flathead from a lifetime buddy (mom held me over his crib to show me the baby) for something like 25 bucks and never did get the flathead running.
    The second one is the 23 T I put together in Texas, I had the chassis pretty well together with the engine sitting in it and was telling my buddy Jr Fisher that I needed to find a body for it and he says that there is a 23 body all apart laying by a fence row in a field about a mile and a half out of town. I hopped in my 62 Impala and off I went to find it and it took two trips to haul it all home in the trunk of the Impala with the lid closed. Another just junk in the way that wasn't worth anything.
    First photo is of me working on it when dad came for a visit around Christmas 73 and the second is a couple of years later with my wife in it. I think she had just taken my dad for a ride in it. You can see the 48 behind it in both photos. First one in 73 after I had got it together and drove it to Tulsa for the 73 Street rod nationals and the second one a couple of years later. after I traded back for it.
    I need to make a trip out a few miles south of me to a friend's place and walk back in to where long before he bought it there was a 35/36 Ford panel body sitting that I should have gotten out of there when I first found it. It's a long wheel base thing with a lot of bullet holes if it is still there. I think a little channeled bobber panel would be rather cute.

th_2008-01-02-0942-14.jpg IMG_4066.JPG DocFile (9).jpg

Last edited: Jan 26, 2020
    catdad49, wicarnut and kidcampbell71 like this.
  16. ThreadMaster90

ThreadMaster90

Those are some pretty cool old pictures. I really like seeing pictures like this, and hope more and more of them stick around.

17. dang....where's that sweet Cuda ?