Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs What am I doing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JimsF1, Dec 7, 2019.

1. JimsF1

JimsF1

Hello all you H.A.M.B.'s

it's been a while but it's been all that tedious little work that hasn't been worth much as far as photos.
    Heres the latest photos, as I've said before I happen to find one of the best flat head rebuilders right here in Tucson and he's been a tremendous asset to me and continues to guide me and help me on the engine .

2. JimsF1

JimsF1

3. JimsF1

JimsF1

4. JimsF1

JimsF1

For those reviewing these photos of the porting and polishing keep in mind this is only rough and not complete

loudbang likes this.
  5. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

Welcome to the Hamb,
    nice F1!!! I like that patina, looks perfect to me, but i do like nice paint job as well!
    I'll be following for sure, thanks for sharing!!

loudbang likes this.
  6. JimsF1

JimsF1

Thank you Rod

JUNK ROD likes this.
  7. JimsF1

JimsF1

8. indyjps

indyjps

9. JimsF1

JimsF1

Thanks Indy
    I'm wondering how possible it was that the original order on this truck was a custom color? it is so close to a baby blue, I called a auto paint shop here and they found Sheridan and alpine blue and mixed a sample of alpine which seemed to be the lighter of the two and it wasn't even close.

10. JimsF1

JimsF1

To all you awesome H.A.M.B.'s

I had asked before but wanted to put it out there one more time.

Do to budget restraints which I know the majority of us suffer from here is my color plan.

but if a majority of you have a different similar idea that works in my budget I'm willing to go with that because I value majority rule most times!

The exterior : I will try to neutralize the rust and seal it. The patina thing!

The interior: I will attempt to go as original as possible with the exception of the seat covering. What was ford thinking with a grey and red seat and a light blue interior?
    ??? Can any of you tell me what was more likely on the interior liners! Were they black or painted to match?

The Engine and engine compartment: I will paint compartment and engine same blue as original truck color (The Mystery Blue) I will also paint transmission and driveline that blue.

The frame and axles : I will sandblast and coat with a heavy black gloss

Things still up in the air!
    Re chrome all faded chrome?
    Add custom matching blue pinstripes to exterior? (Just a little on fenders, cab and tailgate)
    Paint running boards gloss black?
    Paint bumpers black or re chrome?
    Paint the word ford on tailgate blue white or leave rust patina?

Lastly do you all like these long winded post or should I just drop pics and zip it.

11. JimsF1

JimsF1

12. JimsF1

JimsF1

13. indyjps

indyjps

Auto color library is a great source, part of tcpglobal, theyll mox any paint you want. The charts are old, sometimes have conflicting info on years used, so look around a few years before and after. Ford has car, truck, commercial charts, at that time. Someone coulda ordered a special paint truck.
    OT, but, I worked at GM truck assembly plant in the 2000's. Mainly worktrucks, no high end trim, there would be groups of trucks come down the line with "custom" paint for govt and fleet sales. Orange, dull yellow, light blue, pea green, brown, giant fabricated bumpers, factory installed pto's, cab only's. Cool stuff.

kidcampbell71 and JimsF1 like this.
  14. JimsF1

JimsF1

Thanks for the guidance Indy

15. JUNK ROD

JUNK ROD

I assume that you already know but you do have a Deluxe version truck! Windshield chrome trim, arrow styled hood trims, interior doors panel with arm rests and probably a door lock on driver side!!!! ;)
    I learn on the H.A.M.B. how to clean rust with CLR and scotch brites. There is few thread about it. I was a bit septic but after reading all the threads I was like what the hec ill give it a try! It turns out pretty nice, it takes off some oxydation, so you see the original color appearing slowly! Its a pain in the ass job but its worth it!! But mine was less rusted than yours, I would be curious to try it on yours!!!:D

kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  16. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

Factories didn't do special order paint jobs, but that doesn't mean it couldn't have been repainted at some point in time. The headliner panel would have most likely been black and they didn't have a lot of different choices in seat coverings as they were work vehicles! Paint color can be off from what it looked like when new as over time the oxidation fades the color, you maybe able to use some rubbing compound on a spot to get a better view of it or check the paint code on the tag to determine the original color. Running boards would have been gloss black and the bumpers would look OK also painted black as chroming them will hit your budget hard! The raised Ford logo on the tailgate would have been painted white.

kidcampbell71, JUNK ROD and loudbang like this.
  17. JimsF1

JimsF1

Thanks Rod I'll try it on a out of site spot

loudbang and JUNK ROD like this.
  18. JimsF1

JimsF1

Thanks Dick
    The problem I have regarding paint is I've struggled to find where the numbers I have work directly on any decoder charts. And can't at this point see where my numbers show or verify paint color.

loudbang likes this.
  19. Dick Stevens

Dick Stevens

20. JimsF1

JimsF1

Thanks Dick
    But I have a tag in the engine compartment and in the glove box and neither look like that

21. JimsF1

JimsF1

22. JimsF1

JimsF1

20200118_162930.jpg 20200118_163148.jpg 20200118_163222.jpg Here's what happened today

23. waxhead

waxhead
    from West Oz

Glad to see that you are keeping busy. Please keep the updates coming.

loudbang likes this.
  24. JimsF1

JimsF1

Will do, thanks Waxhead

JUNK ROD and loudbang like this.
  25. JimsF1

JimsF1

Hello H.A.M.B. Bones
    Here's the latest

The porting and polishing is done and engine is head to the Flathead Jedi this week

I am working on full tilt front end possibility

Frame will leave next week to blasting and paint

I have new C4 that I will prep the housing on for paint

And while engine and frame are gone I'll work on getting cab ready for restoration

26. JimsF1

JimsF1

20200125_163457.jpg 20200125_163615.jpg 20200125_163648.jpg 20200125_163648.jpg

Attached Files:

27. Sorry ,not falling for it . Had a guy in a alley ask if I wanted to see what he was doing...

loudbang likes this.
  28. JimsF1

JimsF1

Lol trust no man

loudbang likes this.
  29. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

I have a Jailbar with lots of custom touches that I'm thinking of find a new care taker for. I need the garage space back. It has a newer big inch motor though.

Attached Files:

waxhead likes this.
  30. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Is it normal to leave a raised lip on the front edge of the relieving next to each cylinder?