Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Issues when installing a harmonic balancer/damper on Crankshaft

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blazedogs, Feb 10, 2016.

1. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Just did this, went to Oreilly Auto Parts and used the one on their tool loaner list. Smooth and easy. Yes I have beat on balancers in the past but didn't have access to the correct tool then.

2. Fast&Blown

Fast&Blown

Thanks soooo much for your information. I stripped two bolts till I read your comments later in this thread - that I could beat on the fluid damper with a small maul and 2x4. Worked perfect and was still enough threads to torque to 65lbs.

Also covered the hardware with ATV on mating surfaces to stop small leaks.

‘When the damper seats while you are hitting it, you can feel it seat after last hit is solid.

You are a Motörhead God! Thanks again!

3. I would check crankshaft end play.
    Pounding on crankshaft could damage the thrust bearing.

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  4. big john d

big john d
    from ma

using bfh to install damper on older engines was the only was sometimes when driving the damper on any damage to the thrust surface would be on the front while the clutch would push on the back not the best way but did it and never had issues maybe just lucky

5. Is this an older engine?

6. doug schriener

doug schriener

Hi-I've never had a problem with my installer- I thread it in till it stops,back it out 1 turn and put the balancer on-I've done this with real bitchy one like big block Chevs and has always worked.

Gasser 57 likes this.
  7. gas & guns

gas & guns

Hmm, I've never used a torque wrench on a balancer. Not even sure where I put it last time.
    Might be in the drawer with my bfh.o_O

8. Joe H

Joe H

I heated mine up on a 250 inline six, put it in an oven to get it about 275* or so. Truck was outside to help cool crankshaft down to about 30 degrees. In one quick move, I pulled balance from oven, ran to truck and slide the balancer on 95% of the way in one move. The last 5% was to seat it with a hammer and 2x4. Damper Dudes recommended heating method, figured they would know since they sold it to me.

Hnstray likes this.
  9. big john d

big john d
    from ma

ati instructions for their sfi damper tells you that you need to measure and have it honed to fit people get them halfway on than can not get them to move
    on or off directions are on line

10. ottoman

ottoman
    from Wisconsin

Had to hone more than a few aftermarket HP style dampers on my
    Sunnen rod hone to get them to go on.
    If its a used stock balancer I never had an issue.. used either the BFH with hard wood or the installation tool. Both methods work

11. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Wonder if maybe dry ice also applied to the crank snout would allow the damn thing to just slip on there...