Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Making pivot, what to use?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by cherokee_64, Jan 21, 2020.

1. cherokee_64

cherokee_64

Making a 90 degree brake bracket, but need to make the pivot for the bell crank... Picked up some bronze bushings, some grade 8 bolts, etc., but not happy with the sloppy fit... What is everyone doing for a good pivot (preferably greasable)?

2. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Show us a picture so we can help you engineer a solution.

3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used one of ECI's 90 degree units. I could never fabricate anything as good as theirs.

4. cherokee_64

cherokee_64

5. cherokee_64

cherokee_64

Not only for this pivot, but for all kinds of pivots and bellcranks...

6. cherokee_64

cherokee_64

I can easily buy one, but I like to make my own and customize what I need... (I have more tools and time than money...)

7. cherokee_64

cherokee_64

I really like the bushing and pivot joint in the '37 Ford brake pedal that I'm looking to modify (no real wear after all these years), just not sure how to duplicate it...

8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

Depending on the size of the bolt, a bushing too small in I.d. then install the bushing first then use a hand reamer to slowly cut the bushing until I had a nice fit to the bolt.

Then I'd drill and tap the side for a zerk and grease.

Or look on ebay for a greaseable shouldered bolt in a nice size and ream bushings to fit that.

Tim and Boneyard51 like this.
  9. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've found that bolts are not very accurate for pivots , their size is inconsistent and sometimes they are not truly round. I like to use cold rolled steel for shafts and pivots. Generally the tolerances are better . Larger diameter shafts are better than small diameter. .001 clearance on a 3/8 pivot seems like more play than .001 clearance on a 3/4 shaft. The pivot shaft on the Ford pedals is 7/8 to 1 inch. You can also use flanged bearings on both ends that have eccentric locking collars so there is no play. In the picture you showed the rod ends are in single shear rather than double shear. I try to put all pivots especially brake in double shear either by using a clevis or having two levers that capture the rod end between. If you have a lathe or access to one it makes fabricating stuff like this easier.

David Gersic, Tim and Boneyard51 like this.
  10. goldmountain

goldmountain

I made one from a junk brake pedal assembly. No sense in reinventing the wheel.

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

da34guy and Boneyard51 like this.
  11. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, Jethro nailed it. Cold rolled, or polished shaft. McMaster-Carr has a number of shaft and bushings options. I find cold rolled turned to size on my lathe and bushings reamed with a four flute reamer works for most things like this. I usually drill the bushings for the grease fitting before reaming, but have also added them after the fact.

Boneyard51 likes this.
  12. oldolds

oldolds

If you measure the shank portion of a 3/8 bolt you will find it is smaller than a 3/8 rivet. The bolt is made to turn in a hole the rivet was made to fill the hole.. That was the explanation given to me by a machinist friend at one time.
    You will need to do a bit of machining as others have said.

13. toxic waste

toxic waste
    from Iowa

Why dont you use a shoulder bolt ? That's what there made for .Fastenal and Mcmastercar has them.

Attached Files:

Hnstray likes this.