Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Rust,how much do u have?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iwanaflattie, Jan 20, 2020.

1. I have this topic for discussion.
    It's probably been beaten to death a bunch of times here.

Lets be honest,how much rust do you allow your project to have?

I know this will get the east vs west guys,
    The do it right or just completely quit the hobby if u don't guys,

The " i've been building my car for 30 years and Im just waiting for paint so a texting teen can rear end my lifelong project" guys.
    The patina guys..
    Etc.

I get,everyone wants rust free,straight,oem etc..

Some people go to extents paying 10 of 1000s of dollars for metal repair,acid dipping etc.
    But even if u acid dip,the acid wont get into the seams or door folds,and even a spec of moisture/rust can start the process again.
    The car will last many years after that but no car is truly rust free unless its never been outside.

I have to do this repair on a lower fender where the inside reinforcing pocket accumulated dirt thus trapping moisture and rusting the door skin and part of that reinforcement.
    I cut the skin around til i found good metal like anybody would,but the inside of that pocket and inside the skin fold i can see rust,now if i truly want to have a proper repair,i would have to pry open every seam and any sandwiched pieces of metal and honestly,ain't nobody have time for that...
    What do u guys do in that case,?
    IMG_20200120_143952.jpg IMG_20200120_143956.jpg

2. Spray some por-15 rust converter on it, then spray it with weld thru primer, and patch it up!

bobss396 and hotrodjack33 like this.
  3. Even my rust free cars have rust .My attitude and mindset is I fixed it once I will do it again when I need to

scrap metal 48 likes this.
  4. No rust, but rust never sleeps;)

samurai mike and fastcar1953 like this.

5. No rust through, some painted over pits on the '23 frame...

6. 1ton

1ton

Pretty sure that every car or truck that I've ever owned had some rust issue when purchased. Lots of ways to slow it down, but if you drive it, it's going to rust. In Illinois, they spread so much salt on the roads that I'm surprised that plants grow along side the road. Rust repair is on the regular maintenance schedule. You change engine oil regularly and should be attacking rust issues too. My DD suburban is rusting fast this year. Not worth fixing but it has a kick ass fuel injected small block that will be great in a hot rod someday.

7. topher5150

topher5150

There's just enough metal on the floor to keep it from folding in half.
    I got a real good deal on some solid floors. I'm going to do what I can to keep the rust away with out going to crazy

Sent from my moto z4 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

8. I don't think you can completely eliminate all the rust unless you find yourself a desert car. I use POR15 in the cracks and crevices I can't get to but I cut out and replace everything I can.

Wanderlust and mad mikey like this.
  9. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

About 8 tons when looking at the project cars in the shed

King ford likes this.
  10. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

I live in Ohio, some rust can add character... **clic pic** 50's show rod 004.JPG 50's show rod 005.JPG

11. Have a picture of my 1959 Plymouth hardtop some where with the floor pieces I cut out beside it. There wasn't - at the time - floors for those 57-59 Mopars but there was a wrecked 4 door with only about 35,000 miles on it in the yard I ran - so I cut the floor out in two sections running under the dash to the back past the back seat....good fun as the car was the top car on a three car stack ! Kinda the same thing I did with my 1956 Fury floors - found a nice 4 door !

12. Attached Files:

Algoma56, mgtstumpy and King ford like this.
  13. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

It's been 32 years that I have been in the industrial coatings business. The misinformation that runs rampant through this hobby drives me nuts. You have companies in this hobby or industry that sell these rust products that don't even have a basic knowledge of an automobile.And they certainly have never painted one

14. scrap metal 48 likes this.
  15. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

31 Vic hanging from gantry side shot..jpg

I've got the market cornered on rust at the moment. So much that a friend who saw it told another friend about my "cute little rat rod". If plans go right there won't be a speck of rust on it when I get it to a finished state.

mad mikey and Lil'Alb like this.
  16. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Can you explain a bit...?

anothercarguy and King ford like this.
  17. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well we all want our rides to be quick so instead of a bunch of lightening holes we have the miracle of rust! All of my projects have rust and I prefer it that way. I know what I was getting when I bought them. I've seen too many cars that were bought all shiny and a few months/years later rust bubbles...

18. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't you mean spray with weld-thru primer, patch it up. THEN Por-15 it?
    I've had to grind on "already too thin" metal to get (some idiot's) Por-15 off so I can weld in patches:eek:

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  19. Hey Jack, no I'm talking about the metal prep spray that they sell. The zinc stuff. Then spray the weld thru over the bare metal. The por prep works good in my opinion. Here's before and after. $16 a bottle at the paint supply i use. Screenshot_20200120-233525_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20200120-233530_Gallery.jpg

20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'll just take mine to Portland Oregon and have it dipped and go from there when I get to that point. I've looked at the work a shop there has done just about every year at the Portland Roadster show for the past 20 + years including the little sectoned shoebox Ford that Valley custom did that belongs to Steve Frisbee and like their work.

21. mickeyc

mickeyc

22. mickeyc

mickeyc

I would and have fixed that thoroughly. Not enough
    time? 30 years seems adequate to be thorough. perhaps you are like me. I had time, but am running out!

23. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey Lloyd, I gotta get outta the house more often...never heard of that Por-15 metal prep spray. Learn something new every day. Sorry for the misunderstanding:oops:

24. Lol i should've said metal prep, it was my mistake brother :D

hotrodjack33 likes this.
  25. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That Vicky would be considered pristine in my neck of the woods. If it was an Upstate NY body, that bottom hinge would be floating in mid air...

26. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

I need just enough rust there to make a pattern for the rust free patch panel that will get welded in to replace the perforated metal. I'm in Wi. Rust is life.

27. ERguitar

ERguitar

I'm building a $300 f3 that is turning out even rustier than I originally though (which is saying a lot).
    My philosophy is that if I can poke through it with a screwdriver it gets replaced, otherwise its getting cleaned up and por 15'd.
    I bought this truck to build a daily driver, learn how to do body work and have some fun. Its all about expectations and skill level. In my opinion rust is fine, you just need to keep it at the level where its obvious that's its a hot rod in training vs a rat rod.

Black Fifty and iwanaflattie like this.
  28. I have a 100 year old Dodge phaeton. I must be nuts :rolleyes:.
    BODIES 036.jpg BODIES 039.jpg