Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Odd duck

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grampa Dan, Jan 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I think it is pretty cool. definitely needs much taller-skinny wheels. put one of those oval windshields on the drivers side and wear a leather helmet and vintage gogglesevery time you drive it.

you could hang out with Tom Slick on the weekends

tom.jpg

catdad49 and blowby like this.
  2. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ahh! "The Thunderbolt Grease-Slapper". I had forgotten about that (along with Marigold and Gertie Growler). I may be able to forget this one too.

blowby likes this.
  3. drop the whole thing about 12", use the fenders and running boards from the first build, narrowed a bit, use frame covers to tie the running boards to the frame, some 5.50 front,7.00 rear, x20 tires on solid steel rims. Lose the headlights, paint and pin stripe it, keep it auto themed(no ratrod/steampunk shit) and you'd have a winner. In the real hotrodding world, there's nothing that can't be tried, built, or modified. It's a shame the Hamb seems to have forgot that. The guy restoring a hotrod is no different than the guy restoring the Mona Lisa. While both are craftsmen, there's no vision or creativity involved. Hotrodding is all about vision and creativity.

4. guitarguy

guitarguy

To me, that thing fits right into a late 60's / 70's Show Rod type thing. It's cool if you look at it that way I guess.....maybe except for the Buick 6...... But really doesn't particularly fit what this place is about.

As I recall, anything with that type build of that era featured here were original cars that were found and built from that time period.

5. kevinrevin

kevinrevin
    from East Texas

At least the title of the thread matches the build. This thing is no swan.

6. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

NORM'S HENWAY.jpg Kinda reminds me of Norm Grabowski's Henway

catdad49, KevKo and 49ratfink like this.
  7. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I agree with you regarding the abuse. Heck I see cars with Vintage designated plates that are more street machines than restored. I just presume that if they are in any accident their insurance would be viewed as void.

In this particular case the fellow is using a Model T frame and I did say to check with ICBC as they would make the final decision as to what year it would be designated as.

8. What's a henway? (You're welcome :D)

Dedsoto and hotrodjack33 like this.
  9. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Like the shape of the new body. Like others said, tall skinny wheels..

10. manyolcars

manyolcars

does not fit this forum

lurker mick, jim snow and clem like this.
  11. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Your car looks like you need some Psychotherapy:)

12. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

seeing the Henway makes me think if Norm had built it all the haters would be telling him how cool it is.

13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

My thoughts exactly. The OP came to the HAMB to get advice and to show what he is doing and yet again more dismissive comments. Way to build community! If some of the more veteran members did something similar it would be met with encouragement. Maybe not in the style we say we try to emulate but the era it represents it would have been a hot rod even though the term was not around then. "Hot Rod" pickup trucks, four door sedans, station wagons? If those are appreciated why not this fellows creativity and skills? The only things I might question is the choice of engine and wheels/tires.

wraymen and 49ratfink like this.
  14. goldmountain

goldmountain

Along with the Grabowski reference, how about the car Von Dutch made for the movie, "The Reevers"?

Sent from my SM-T350 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Grampa Dan

Grampa Dan

I appreciate the comments and expected to get flamed a little. No worries.

I am a car guy of sorts, inspired by all kinds of automobiles. I love the early brass era and wanted to emulate it in my personal style. That is what everyone who builds a car does in my opinion. Some like stock right down to matching serial numbers, others like to modify heavily. Does everyone love what the other guy did or want to do the same? Nope. But hopefully there is room for a variety of ideas. Hopefully, everyone takes the time to look things over and perhaps appreciate the things that are well done. Hopefully, if what they see isn't their cup of tea they just smile and walk by rather than trashing the person or their build.

I really appreciate the positive comments, encouragement and suggestions. I am going to change the wheels before the car is finished... currently thinking some Vintique street rod wires. The fenders will be similar to the original car but a little narrower as some suggested. I understand for most 'hot rodders' the car should have a V8. I'd rather put hood sides on it and run something with a little less power. I have nothing to prove. I'm not putting any chrome or billet accessories on the engine as that kind of thing does not interest me. I'm not into polishing chrome. At rod runs I'll keep the hood closed so I don't offend anyone.

Back in the early 90's when I first built the car I sent some pictures of the car to Street Rodder. They were kind enough to feature it in a half page spread as a street rod under construction'. The caption read 'Looking like it escaped from Disneyland... ' And yes the car was partially inspired by the yellow 'car' that runs up and down Main Street USA. For my living I design and build theme parks so I like to believe I can live a little in both worlds.

I am flattered by the reference to Norm Grabowski. He was one of my heroes. I truly appreciated how he would build what he loved rather than simply do what everyone else did. I'll bet not everyone loved what his cars but he certainly made his mark on the hot rod world. His creations certainly stood out from the crowd!

I actually started building a Model T but went to a rod run and saw a long row of them - much the same at first glance - save for the colour. That changed my mind in an instant. Rather than butchering a genuine antique I decided to build from scratch. Authentic - not in the least. But even more fun - for me.

I see a few BC guys here... I live in Yarrow (Chilliwack) in the lower Mainland. Hopefully I'll see some of you at a rod run this summer. If any are coming by Yarrow, please drop by my shop and I'll give you a tour. I'll show you the 'odd duck' in person. :)

www.imaginationcorporation.com

-grampa dan

Hnstray, ClarkH, catdad49 and 6 others like this.
  16. Maybe a lower stance with a set of those white rubber tires
    Chappy
    2015-09-09_18-46-55.jpg

49ratfink and catdad49 like this.
  17. The guys are correct, it’s not really a traditional hot rod and as it sits now it does look kind of like a monstrosity, of sorts. That being said, I have enjoyed seeing it and trying to imagine what it would take to bring it around to that early racer look, some of which were indeed monstrous. Different wheels and tires (think 1910), for sure. Add hood sides and maybe a lower profile gas tank. Maybe bring the bottom of the seat platform in line with the bottom body line. In any case, even though it’s not a hot rod, I have enjoyed seeing it, appreciate your vision and skills and I think with a few changes it could end up being something fun and cool. Just my opinion, of course. Even if it might not be H.A.M.B. material, good for you for building something different...or for building something at all.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

0NE BAD 51 MERC likes this.
  18. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

If it makes you happy, meets your approval and gives you a sense of satisfaction, then that's what counts. Life is waaaay to short to be building something that reflects somebody else's approval and satisfaction, unless of course they are willing to throw some coin your way then you can build it for them.

19. Most cars rarely meet everybody's approval on this site...
    I think it's pretty cool.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.