Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration What do you like about our Hobby ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Well I will vote no on the Richard Cranium issue. I know because you are not on my ignore list. ;)

I don't see many people very often. Since joining the HAMB I have been pretty near a shut in a couple of times and other than my club brothers checking in on me from time to time the HAMB was my contact with the outside world. It is certainly not the same as a warm body but for the most part the HAMB epitomizes both what I like and dislike about our hobby. There are some real peckerwoods on this forum and I got an idea that they same the same thing about me. But the comradery that most of us enjoy in this hobby is right here 24/7.

I sometimes wonder how many people have decided to stay on this side of the grass because they found themselves here.

2. I had a 64 C10 that i lettered the tailgate "I'd be mad too if I had to drive your car"

3. You're right on the money here, I have been more active on this site since the " face to face" thing has dwindled.

4. I still enjoy hanging out with good people at the show, but the HAMB sure has filled the gap during the off season

5. Tell you a story. This is not a feel sorry for the beaner story but a true story. Gives a little perspective I think.

In Sept 2003 I got paged at work from my boss. I called the office and he said come over here we need to talk. I got to the office and he informed me that the powers to be said that I needed to go home and go on disability. In an instant I went from 70K a year to zero. I also lost all but one or two of my friends.

I happened onto Ryan at a Good Guys of all places about a week or two after that. He suggested that I check the HAMB out. We had known each other on line for a few years and neither of us knew that we lived in the same city. I checked the HAMB the following Monday and joined. It was a rough place back then, I fit in well. LOL I made new friends. most of whom I will never meet but they are good people.

6. trollst

trollst

I like the company we keep in the car game, most of us are loners, me included, but I do enjoy meeting other guys for lies and fun. Some are pretentious, but if you take the time to know them, we all seem to have the same end goal, and thats what matters. However, I work with my shop door closed, don't offer my advice unless directly asked, don't lend tools, and am considered hard to deal with, hard to get to know. This is the only forum I frequent, I come every day, got my favourites on here, guys I read, guys I feel I'd like to meet. Maybe at Bonneville.

Ron Funkhouser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  7. I got retired out on a medical also but it has been a blessing in disguise. I'm here and on GJ because of like minded people.
    Beaner you remind me of every lead mechanic I ever worked with. I would like to shake your hand. Truth is important.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Ron Funkhouser and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Of the two threads. I noticed that we have about twice as many things that we dislike about our Hobby. Than things that we like about our hobby. How about some { History } 20170421_112549.jpg 20170421_102333.jpg

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    chevyfordman and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. I like all the reconstruction and fab work
    especially on the ones that are beyond repair by most folks standards
    The body work and sanding, absolutely love that (no kidding as long as there isn't a crazy deadline) I know Im in the minority here with that one but I find the tendentiousness of the process relaxing
    Driving junk scrounged up from a scrap yard and parking next to that new Z06 at the car show is the best.

10. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

Yeah 'specially when people pass right by the Z06, and there is a crowd around your oldie.

11. What I like best about this hobby is simple. Just being able to have fun with cars and meet people. Been that way for 37 years now and I have no complaints.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

12. Sorry I didn't finish earlier.
    I like the fabrication part of our hobby, I like to go find the materials to get to the part I want then cut and grind it out of what others call scrap. Making something appear out of nothing.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

Ron Funkhouser likes this.
  13. Explaining to students how to build/fix something.
    ............And they get it.

Then a few years later they show ya pics of their project they are driving

Or, while discussing with young builders on how they set up the turbo on their 4cyl, I learn they also have a stash of old parts they no longer need or know what they are Then I show up to the next rod run and the old guys that complain about the tuner guys ask where I got those parts from.
    That’s priceless.

14. 0NE BAD 51 MERC

0NE BAD 51 MERC

My percentages are the same , Must because Michigan weather sucks about as much as Wisconsin's! ;) Larry

Ron Funkhouser and scotty t like this.
  15. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Lil32 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  16. I like the HAMB. I feel that I know most of you. I really love the stories and build threads. Yeah, I like all the pictures too! lol I'd like to see more intros of you lurker's too. { pictures or it didn't happen.} a thread for what you been up to lately? Ron......

Truckdoctor Andy and Montana1 like this.
  17. -Brent-

-Brent-

@Ron Funkhouser thanks for creating this thread!

For me, I think I still like what I enjoyed as a easily impressed kid.

I like the shapes, the colors, the sounds. I always liked the more aggressive cars... stuff that stood out.

My neighbor always had a 50s project going on and he'd bring in a "grandma car" or a farmer truck and that spring he'd be backing out a shiny bad-ass vehicle.

He'd do burnouts in the street in front of his house and that tinny, crackle sound of a high compression, crammed engine always turned our heads.

I lost sight of that - having so many projects and parts stacked up.

Now that my coupe is well on its way I feel a bit more connected to the stuff I like about hot rodding.

Another thing I enjoy, is the parts search and finally acquiring the "perfect" piece. The searching has changed, not really hitting swap meets (which was fun when I lived somewhere with better meets) but, obviously, the Internet rules for tracking down things.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    Montana1 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  18. The diversity of old cars.
    Although my interests also include the last 5-7 years(1965-1971, 50 years ago) of this fantastic hobby.
    They're all mechanical on the inside.

19. I like the HUNT. Only a few that I've drug home. 407.jpg 459.jpg 445.jpg 401.jpg 406.jpg 131.jpg 167.jpg

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    BLUSHU and MO_JUNK like this.
  20. mlake01

mlake01

Oh God - there isn’t enough time and space to list everything I like about our hobby! The big ones for me are the solitude, creativity, artistic expression, and therapy I get from working alone in my shop. Nothing but good tunes on the radio, dog laying on the floor and waking up whenever I make a loud noise, cold beer on the bench beside my work, and me with my tools!

Don’t get me wrong, I like people and social things too, but the solitary creative process is my therapy. I’d rather build than buy or drive. Completed cars are boring to me, but one that needs love - I’m in!!

I am a modest person who does not need any “atta boys”, but there is such an internal sense of pride that comes from doing something to the absolute best of your ability. I like to raise my welding helmet and look at a fine TIG bead I just layed, smiling inside with pride. Later, I’ll cover it with paint and hide it deep in the bowels of a car where nobody will ever see it - but I know it’s there.

No bragging or anything like that - this is just one of the things I love about our hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. I like cool guys like Ron. I’m kinda a loner as well, and there are several guys on here that I feel like I’m friends with but I’ve never met them in person.
    The other thing I like is The H.A.M.B., thanks Ryan!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. Keeps me away from the lawnmower

23. Eds_tls

Eds_tls

I do it because old cars are the perfect mix of engineering, design, and history.

I love taking something that is worn out and not working right and solving the puzzle of making it better. When I’m working in the garage on the car I think of nothing else except the task right in front of me. I don’t think of work or things I’m behind on or anything else. It’s the only time that my head is totally clear

I love thinking of all the forgotten stories the car could tell if it could talk. First rolled off the assembly line, first owner, etc. How many people have had great memories of the car. How many people have sad memories of the car. Places it’s been. Things it’s seen. A lot happens in 56 years

I love going for a ride on a summer afternoon with the windows down with no where to be. Just watching the road go by in front of me across the 6’ long hood. I love the thumbs up from people and how kids watch you drive by

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  25. Chavezk21

Chavezk21

Cars, this is the reason I love this, and started this hobby. The pure art, and design of some, the no frills utility of others. More importantly though is the relationships. The people in this hobby are what makes it so appealing to me. Car guys usually share their knowledge to a great degree. I have been lucky enough to meet some amazing individuals due to this hobby. @Zapato here was my neighbor before he passed. He introduced me to many people in my area that I am friends with, and whom love this hobby as much as we all do. One of which is a great metal worker, @Kiwi Tinbender, who has taught me so much. I am forever grateful to all the folks in our hobby who's selfless help and encouragement keeps us motivated, and striving for doing better than we have done on past projects.

26. My now adult son rode with me to the Post Office in the '32 the other day. I went in and did my business. When I came out, there were at least 5 people standing around the Hot Rod asking him all about the car. He knew how to answer, as he helped build it when he was a teenager.

When we left, he asked me if I ever get tired of everyone stopping to talk about the Hot Rod. I said, "No, that's part of what I love about it."

On our way home, we must have gotten about 10 thumbs up on the hi-way. If it makes their day, it makes mine. I love it! ;)

jnaki and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  27. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

The satisfaction that comes from building something from a mess of unrelated parts.
    Learning new skills.
    The friends I’ve made along the way.

Ron Funkhouser and Montana1 like this.
  28. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

The People And History Of The Hobby Keep Me In.. 46456255_10156748331837726_6163264373109293056_n.jpg

Montana1 and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  29. IronTrap

IronTrap

I avoided opening the "What do you hate about this hobby thread" because I figured it went a similar way as the "swap meets suck" or "why aren't old cars selling?" or "Young people aren't into this hobby it's dying" bitchfest threads. I figured it went nowhere fast.

Here's my top 3 favorite things about this hobby in no particular order.

1. Treasure Hunting- It's my version of Treasure Hunting. Once I found out being an archaeologist wasn't as exciting as Indiana Jones and I wouldn't pick up hot chicks on each adventure I've turned this hobby into my own version of treasure hunting. There's something so fun about the "journey" of putting together an old car. "Every Part Has a Story".
    2. The People- The people you meet and the friendships that come from this hobby is so very important to me. I also love that this hobby transcends age and sex. If you're REALLY into this stuff and meet another guy or gal the same way you instantly have a connection and can talk for ages like old friends. I also think this hobby is like a big fraternity. If you're into old cars you're welcome to crash at my place when traveling, use my tools if on the road, or just need a spare hand in a pinch.
    3. The Drive- In the end driving something you built from a pile of parts is about as satisfying as it gets. I feel like Dr. Frankenstein every time I start or drive an old car for the first time and it's a high no drug could ever compare to and I'll forever be chasing it until the day I die.

Mart, Godsmobile, weps and 4 others like this.
  30. donno

donno

People first.