Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Banger Model A Roadster

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Chopp'd49, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Chopp'd49

Chopp'd49

What are the BEST upgrades to make to my 1929 Model A Roadster Flathead 4 cylinder?

I already have upgraded the Transmission. the car has juice brakes, and a nice stance.

This is what she used to look like:
    Model A.jpg

Before new center caps:
    Stance  v2.jpg

With new caps and the dropped headlight bar:
    New caps.jpg
    My custom battery / Master Cylinder box:
    BAttery Box.jpg

Mounted Box.jpg

I am thinking:
    • FSIgnitions Zipper Distributor
    • Lions Speed Cylinder head (If I can source one)
    • Single carb downdraft intake (I want to drive the heck outta this thing
    • Cast Headers from Secrets of Speed
    Am I on track, or what other ideas are out there? I am not ready to change the engine to a V8 at this time. Thank you for your time.

2. When I built my '29 Tudor I ran the banger with the FSI Distributor, Police head, Stromberg 97 with a Tattersfield intake and lightened flywheel with a V-8 clutch. I also had a '38 trans with late '39 innards. Stock rear end and stock exhaust. Ran real strong, I could easily cruise at 60 mph.
    98.JPG

stillrunners and Chopp'd49 like this.
  3. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

What a cute little roadster. I like the way you used the stock location for your battery and master cylinder. All the things you mention will keep it "period correct". Bratton's has a downdraft carb and manifold PN 13870, two barrel Webber, mounting kit and air cleaner for $680. Just make sure it's compatible with your planned headers. You may need to install an electric fuel pump, rather than gravity from the stock location. If you have deep pockets you can install a Mitchell Overdrive, a bit pricey at $2700.

4. cederholm

cederholm

Not sure, does it get any better than that??? Great looking roadster!

~ Carl

Chopp'd49 likes this.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

Charlie sells new Lion Speed head, then you need an exhaust header and the NuRex timing strip, 12V alternator,Bendix self adjusting brakes,an 84-87 F150 three speed with overdrive, I did all that with 2 SU carburetors and Dropped axle. modern shocks. No rumble seat for me so I added a dropped floor in the trunk. Upgrade the distributor su carbs.jpg in the trunk. Upgrade the distributor

Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Chopp'd49 likes this.
  6. Nice job on the battery box....master cylinder...

Chopp'd49 likes this.
  7. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

Awesome roadster. Nice work, clean.

Chopp'd49 likes this.
  8. Chopp'd49

Chopp'd49

Thank you to everyone for the kind words.

I have heard that a "B" distributor is the ticket, and I am looking for a Lion Speed Head. SOS Society / Charlie is not making anymore at this time. Anyone have one for sale?