Register now to get rid of these ads!

1949 to 52 Chevy 4 door to 2 door conversion pics? or dumb idea?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bella G., Jun 28, 2006.

1. Bella G.

Bella G.

I don't mean to start and exact thread as the 60 plymouth thread, but I'm wondering if anyone has any pics of a 4 door chev converted to a 2 door. Maybe even a chopped one. I'm in SoCal and seem to run across tons of 4 doors down here that are very clean. I'm putting one together right now and was thinking of chopping it and converting it to a 2 door. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Bella

By the way looking for iner door frames and windshields for 49-52 4dr Chevy styleline.

2. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

do your research. it might be cheaper (where your at) to get a solid 2 door than to piece one together from a 4 door and the majority of a 2 door (doors and quarters). 49/50 Chevs are still fairly common but a 2 door conversion is a way to go if you can't find or afford a 2 door. i'd look into it and try to figure out what you'll have into doing the conversion (cash wise) and look at the prices of 2 doors in your area. don't forget all the time and effort you'll have into the conversion. only you can make the final decision but it's best to arm yourself with all the information you can before jumping into it head first.

3. I have a 49-50 2dr body with doors that would set you in the right direction...a lot less work.

4. Bella G.

Bella G.

Good point. Just seems 2 doors are hard to find right now. I bet one I get one a million will start popping up! Thanks

5. I hate when people convert 4 door cars into 2 doors.

6. George

George

The feb.'05 Street Scene "My old car" section had a '50 4 dr aerosedan that had the wheel base reduced to 96", chopped, channeled, & sectioned. In the photo it looks like a sports coupe (Datsun Z car?). Really cool work!

7. 53choptop

53choptop

I also hate it when a 4 door is converted to a 2 door...

(My Olds in progress)

Attached Files:

crashfarmer likes this.
  8. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

true, i sold a 50 2dr deluxe for 1500 a couple months ago, it was pretty damn solid.

takes a lot of work, time and money converting a 4dr into a 2dr. it'd be cheaper to get a bucket 2dr and use a 4dr for parts. just my $0.02. good luck

9. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

that turnin out good!!!!!!!:)

10. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

alot depends on where you are located and the availability of the parts you need (in reasonable condition). it also depends on the car. some cars are harder to come by as 2 doors and worth alot more when you do have a 2 door. in that case it might be a good idea to spend the time and money converting a solid 4 door into a 2 door. IF you can find the parts. you still need to find a couple decent 2 door doors and the quarter panel pieces you need to do the conversion. some times a wrecked 2 door would make a good candidate as a parts donor. couple that with a reasonably rust free 4 door and you should have your work cut out for you.

11. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

WHY??? if it's done "right" nobody should ever be able to tell the difference.

12. houtex63

houtex63
    from houston

:D

13. 53choptop

53choptop

From my experience as a hobbyist, this conversion is a lot of work, (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1317322#post1317322) , I lost my motivation many times, the longest stint was about 2 years. I had to do certain things twice because some of it just did not look good. The reason I did it was because I have had that car for about 12 years, it has been a family project and we were up for the challenge. We all learned a lot and have spent good times together. As hobbyist the only way I was going to learn to do such an extensive project is if I actually did it. The hardest part was finding the 2 door, these in particular are off a convertible, got them off ebay.

I would not do it again though. It is cheaper and easier to just buy a 2 door. Either way, this one is special to me and my family so that is why we did it.

Right now all it needs is to get lowered, stripped, painted, glass and interior, all the hard work is done. The goal is next years Lonestar Roundup!!!!!

14. You're right, if it's done right then it's fine, hell no one would ever know. But I see a lot of hack jobs, or retards that weld the back two doors shut..

15. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i'm not a big fan of those either. how about the ones where they shorten the entire car and remove the back doors. thats about as stupid looking as a car could get...

16. kustombuilder

kustombuilder
    from Novi, MI

i don't get it???:confused: :confused: :confused: ???

17. Yeah they did it on monster garage with something, what was it? A Caddy I think, and it almost looked like a fucked up T bird when it was done.

There is some info on the right way to do it here on the HAMB...
    And there's a FUCKLOAD of photos and stories on how not to do it.

A fella tried selling me a 56 bel air one time, 2 door hard top, took me two seconds to see those stubby doors and tell the back two doors were welded shut and fuck you could even see the shitty body work under the primer. He wanted full on 2 door hard top price for it when it wasn't worth a god damn penny after he hacked it up.

18. 53choptop

53choptop

Hamber Kartsa worked on a Dodge(?) sometime back and is a really good example of how a 2 door conversion SHOULD be done.

Rey

19. super chief

super chief

Just to prove it can look good when done here are some photos of one originally built in the UK in the late 70`s. I`ll list the mods, chopped, hardtop, flip front, `z`ed chassis, air bags, 56 chevy bumpers, 53 grill,.... the list goes on. Most recent is the zebra skin and red metalflake interior done at Burnham autos (burnhamautos.com). Hope you like it.

Attached Files:

20. brandon

brandon

look for pics of wes rydell's son's 4 dr fast back .....can't hardly tell its still a 4 dr....neat car.....brandon

21. Bella G.

Bella G.

Thanks for all input. I guess It's easier to bite the bullet and spend 5000$ on a ##### 2 door coupe out in LA. With the recent poplarity of this stuff I'm almost paying double for cars now adays. I guess I never should have sold my 49 Coupe to help with the purchase of my home. But then a again buying a house 10 years ago in California , I can refinance like those old farts you see at the Pomona swapmeet build what ever I want. I just need to give the old lady some good lovin before build that coupe. Thanks, Guys Bella G.