Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Morris Minor Gasser build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by southcross2631, Oct 22, 2016.

1. southcross2631

southcross2631

Started mocking up my 334 yesterday when I put the main bearings in put caps on the crank did not turn as free as I would like.
    The 289 crank turned nice and easy when I tore it down so I figured the line bore was good.
    The kit came with ACL standard bearings and a new Scat crank.
    I will be tearing it back apart and checking all of the clearance's tomorrow. All I was going to do was to mock up the piston's and rods so I can see where I need to notch the bores before I send it off to be balanced.
    It's never simple. If hot rodding was easy everybody would do it.
    I know, just take it to an engine builder and pay him to figure out what I can find by just doing some measurements.

2. southcross2631

southcross2631

Need to get some .001 over bearings the crank measured on the high side of standard and the bearings were also on the high side . The first 4 mains had .0015 and the back main had.001 too tight for any motor . Much less a high rpm small block .
    Called Scat first and talked their tech guy. He agreed to go with another set of main bearings. So I called CNC Motorsports . they are the company I bought the stroker kit from. I told them my issue and asked if I could swap out the bearing for the one's I need. I figure since the build engines at their facility or have some body build them for them that they would take back the bearings . The guy says did you open the package and did you put them in the block? I told him of course I did how else would I know they were tight.
    He said since they had been opened he couldn't take them back or cut me a deal on the set that I needed. So he quoted me full price plus shipping . Now that's real customer service. I thanked him for
    nothing and hung up the phone.
    Not only will he not get any more of my business but I will make sure I tell anybody that needs engine parts to look elsewhere. Lesson learned, I have never dealt with that company and I have never used ACL bearings. I always use Clevite and in 50 plus years of building engines have never had an issue.
    It's not all bad news today, my cam came in. This should make my little ford sound sweet and run like I hope it can. DSCF3578.JPG

3. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That cam and 12:1 CR ought to make for a sweet sounding idle.

loudbang likes this.
  4. southcross2631

southcross2631

Mocked up the rods and pistons today . Good news I don't have to notch DSCF3579.JPG the bores to clear the rod bolts. Had over .125 on every one of them.

Fiddle Picker, brEad, scott27 and 5 others like this.
  5. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well this will end my morris minor gasser build. Out of the blue a guy contacted me about buying
    the car as a roller to put a flathead in it and racing it.
    I shot him a price and he agreed so it is sold. I am looking for a 64-67 Comet or Fairlane to build as
    a SEGA super stock.
    Thanks to all who followed the build.

AHotRod, das858, brEad and 2 others like this.
  6. glrbird

glrbird

Gotta do what you gotta do. Hope you find a car you want.

Fiddle Picker and loudbang like this.
  7. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

8. southcross2631

southcross2631

Don't be sad. I will try and get him to start a new thread and join the hamb. It will give you two threads to watch him redoing the Morris with a flathead which should be cool as it will be a father-son project.
    Plus you will get a step by step build of a SEGA super stock car, which correct me if I am wrong hasn't been done. Should be good for all of the Ford fans here on the hamb.
    I already have a 65 Comet Caliente stored down in south Ga. It is a 62,000 mile matching number factory A/C car. I hate to cut up that car to make a drag race only car and have been saving it for a street cruiser. However I have found a 64 Comet 404 4 door wagon that is a V8 stick shift car with no motor or transmission that I wouldn't think twice about making a Don Nicholson look alike super stock except with a small block for now until I can afford to build an FE.
    Fiddle Picker is starting on a 55 Chevy 2 door SEGA super stock car also. We need to get him to start a thread on that build too. Jr stock is alive and well again.

9. Hang'emHigh

Hang'emHigh

That '64 will make a cool Super Stocker!

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  10. Bummer about the Morris but glad you got your price. Post a link here please when you start the super stock build!

11. southcross2631

southcross2631

Found a 65 Comet 202 wagon yesterday . Amazing how they pop up at the right time. It must be a sign.

12. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Nothing but rust repair going on with the 55 Chevy Bel-Air right now !!

AHotRod and loudbang like this.
  13. southcross2631

southcross2631

Well the Morris Minor left today for it's new home in N.C.
    The new owner told me his plan is to build a blown flathead with a C-4 behind it . Should be a cool ride.

Fiddle Picker, saltflats and Crosley like this.
  14. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

At least you did get to drive it. I'll be watching for your new build.

15. southcross2631

southcross2631

Loading it up in the pouring rain today. Me in the green jacket getting soaked. Good bye car. New owner Heath. DSCF3589.JPG DSCF3586.JPG DSCF3584.JPG

16. catdad49

catdad49

Even though I "liked" the above post I am really sad to see it go. Do you know what Heath's plans are for it? I'll be following your wagon build, they have the weight were it counts. Happy building, Carp.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  17. savannahDan

savannahDan

Was really hoping to see the Dancing Rabbit as a regular on the SEGA tour, but at least it sounds like its going to a good home. Also looking forward to seeing your super stock build.

18. southcross2631

southcross2631

Was in contact with Heath today. He is looking for an sfi belhousing to mate a flathead to a 4 speed.
    He is still considering the H/Gas class in the SEGA.
    Any help on locating one would be appreciated.

Fiddle Picker and catdad49 like this.
  19. catdad49

catdad49

Wow, I hope he can find the parts. I think a flatty in that little beast should be just right and most people won't even know what the funny looking engine is! H & H Flatheads or Y-block guy ( TimmyMcMasters) may have some ideas for this combo.

20. southcross2631

southcross2631

I told him that if he can't find one he can use steel to incase the stock bell housing. NHRa has allowed that for obsolete engine s in the past.

Fiddle Picker and catdad49 like this.
  21. sinistersuede

sinistersuede
    from Missouri

Really enjoyed reading about the build! My brother and I have a 1961 that we would like to start on this winter. Really like the stance on yours. Would you share how much you raised the front frame rails on yours?

22. Tutashen

Tutashen

I don't envy you welding in those tight spots great job though , think having such a solid body to start with is a huge help , humm note to self stop buying piles of rust your eyes will thank you :)

Thor1 likes this.
  23. Tutashen

Tutashen

Thats funny about the weather course now it's 2021 but i live in canada an the last good winter we had for ice fishing was 2014 where i live today it's sunny an warm i could walk around nekkeds but don't want the wife to have a heart attack laughing :)

24. Tutashen

Tutashen

25. Tutashen

Tutashen

my dad road raced one in the early 60's i still remember him rolling it an thinking what a hard head he had :)

26. Tutashen

Tutashen

I wouldn't mind one of those , the girls nice to but ones like her are pricey cut into the budget :(

27. Tutashen

Tutashen

for anyone trying to make plastic windows for their builds google how home built airplane crafters mold theirs might make life a bit easier and for stronger windows that can be molded to complex curves that can take 250 mph plus without issues , um just saying