Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Cederholm build - Was 1930 Coupe, now 1929 Tudor

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by cederholm, Dec 9, 2018.

1. cederholm

cederholm

East Coast English cars came from the factory rotted. o_O

2. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

You could incorporate the tach in the upper left section you built, I feel they always look like an after thought on the column and your build is looks so cohesive!

Sent from my SM-G955U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

SS327, Stogy, mctim64 and 2 others like this.
  3. cederholm

cederholm

Picked up some bayonet bulb holders from a pinball supplier off ebay, mounted them and benched tested the gauge lights. I’m pleased.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Purpose built versus pretty...there is some merit to that...you could always make a more ornate holding feature to a hose clamp...:D

It is a pretty good focal point, a plus for column mount...just thinking about here and here kinda sorta...I think @Dean Lowe mounted them on the DS Windshield Post...

brady1929, loudbang and cederholm like this.
  5. Pete Poling

Pete Poling

Stogy, loudbang and cederholm like this.
  6. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Man that’s fantastic. Really clever and literally something I’ve never seen. Very cool

Stogy, cederholm and loudbang like this.
  7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Are you showing two different sides or did you ditch the indicator lights?

cederholm and loudbang like this.
  8. I don't have anything mounted on a windshield post, except a rear view mirror outside.

[​IMG]

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My apologies Dean...It's starting to come back to me...I mixed that up with some kind of stop for the windshield when propped out...I'm getting old...:)

:rolleyes:...Even better right on the Column...

You didn't have a Speedometer in Your Former RP...is there one in this one?​

Last edited: Dec 30, 2019
    brady1929 and cederholm like this.
  10. Yes, I'm using the stock speedometer. Amazingly, with 2:91 gears, 30" tire, and the 350 trans, it's less than 3 mph off.
    What is on both W/ S posts are screw in pins I turned out of 3/16" hex SS. I made those right after the windshield slapped my knuckles at feerway speed. You can see one of the pins on the left post, right at the bottom of the W/S in the photo.

11. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ouch, That's what it was...and those Model A Speedometers are pretty cool...the Rotating Ring...

brady1929, osage orange and cederholm like this.
  12. cederholm

cederholm

Hi Tim, the indicator lights will be back. In the earlier photo they were juts sitting on top and not mounted yet. I'm waiting for a headlight switch to arrive so I can finalize placement before drilling holes. I need to add said headlight push/pull, high-beam light, indicator lights, mini toggle (for the temp gauge) and on the back a terminal junction box.

1947knuck, loudbang and Tim like this.
  13. cederholm

cederholm

THIS!! ...well at least that how I envision my tach in my head. Achieving this level of beauty might be beyond my levels, but I'm not giving up yet. :)

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yeah I had wondered if that was the case after I hit “post”

loudbang and cederholm like this.
  15. cederholm

cederholm

As posted earlier I have been on a quest to figure out my 1950's Ford steering column with turn signals. The provided schematic was a huge help but some of the wiring colors were off. Well today I disassembled and cleaned all the components, tested everything with a multimeter then bench tested the whole thing. ...and I shot a video for your enjoyment. I will update the colors in my schematic and repost in the future should anyone find them helpful.

A note about the video - The brake lites worked as designed, but I didn't film them, and I used a two filament bulb for the rear lights. When testing the right switch activates on filament while the left switch activates the other within the same bulb. Obviously this is just for testing.

~ Carl

IMG_2172.JPG IMG_2173.JPG IMG_2174.JPG

Outback, Stogy, 1947knuck and 3 others like this.
  16. cederholm

cederholm

Well I’m back to the gauge pod and I’m pretty happy how things are turning out. Got all my holes cut, indicators and switches mounted and a proper test fit. Still need to make adjustments but I’m making progress.

Some pics! I know you like pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. That's a really slick idea for a gauge pod! Really enjoying this build.

loudbang and cederholm like this.
  18. cederholm

cederholm

Thank you sir!

1947knuck and loudbang like this.
  19. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Love it. Very cool

cederholm and loudbang like this.
  20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@cederholm Happy Birthday...;)...Hope You had some Cake and a Beer...:)

Hows the Signal situation panning out?...AND

On top of all of that a wish for good health to you and those close to you in this crisis...

brady1929, brEad, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  21. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

How are doing Carl? Hope you well

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  22. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

gauge pod rocks... neat, functional and out of the way... go ceder go.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  23. cederholm

cederholm

It’s been a long time and a lot got in the way of my project, but I’m back at it. Since my last post we sold out house in Brooklyn and bought one in Connecticut. Although the house came with a nice two car garage, my dream of a of something bigger was also put into play and we build the “barn”. All the hot rod parts were carefully stored. The model A, chassis, motor & trans all went into off-sight storage and the rest was neatly packed away. Now, a few years later, everything is back home and I’m as happy digging thought my boxes as my kids were under the tree.

I’ve been test-fitting parts, reviewing old notes and re-thinking some earlier decisions. The biggest being to not disassemble the model A. I’ll be looking for a “more tired” body to use and keep the A a banger.

More to come but here are a few pics.

~ Carl

Attached Files:

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Life is good...well deserved...looks like more cool is evolving for down the road...that'll just be the icing on the cake...

brady1929 and cederholm like this.
  25. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Nice work!

cederholm likes this.
  26. Super Streak

Super Streak
    from Florida

I like what you've done on the model A coupe. Keep up the great work! Keep on posting your progress.

cederholm likes this.
  27. cederholm

cederholm

It's been way WAY to long with this build on hold, but I'm back at it. I moved from Brooklyn to Connecticut and had my dream barn built to store my projects and claimed the house garage as my shop. I had parts scattered in different locations during all of that an now everything is together in one place. Over this time I really fell in love with my stock coupe along with it's banger and I decided not to mess with it. After a lot of searching I found a local(ish) car that is perfect. It has issues but a good donor I think.

My 1930 Coupe build has just turned into a 1928 Tudor build.

[​IMG]

28. cederholm

cederholm

A few more photos and more important - progress! First test fit of the motor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

29. scoob_daddy

scoob_daddy
    from Georgia

30. cederholm

cederholm

More progress. Split my bones and I’m mocking up the front end. I’m rethinking my three carbs as it makes routing the drivers-side cooling hose a messy plumbing job. I’m also curious about opinions on the engine placement before I weld the engine mounts in. My choice of truck fan has pushed the motor back further than others I’ve seen. I don’t mind modifying the firewall if that’s all the trouble I might encounter.

Thoughts welcome.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tr_rodder, redzula, brEad and 6 others like this.