Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical What is this called? Washer with bendable tab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by error404, Jan 3, 2020.

1. error404

error404
    from CA

I've seen this on a diesel engine, and also on a modern TKO transmission. It's basically a washer that has a tab on one side that's about 1.5" or 2" long, the tab portion covered in soft rubber. The metal tab is flexible and stays put when you bend it around something (wiring, hoses, whatever). Not sure if it's steel or aluminum, but they can be easily bent around some wiring or a hose using just your fingers.

I'm not sure what their intended purpose is, but it looks like they would be very handy to hold wires or a hose, and easily bent back to move the wires/hose at any time with no tools.

I'd love to buy some of these but I'm having a difficult time finding out what these are called. Anyone know?

(edit) Ok, here's a photo of one. This one in particular already has a bent shape to it:

washer.jpg

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  2. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

3. Pretty easy to make from flat stock. Then dip it in that plastic coating stuff or use shrink tube to pad it.

vtx1800, seb fontana and olscrounger like this.
  4. ADEL CLAMP .

dudley32 likes this.

5. error404

error404
    from CA

Sort of like those coated clamps, except only one side has a bolt hole. And the tab portion of the metal is very malleable/soft, and easy to bend with fingers. I have some clips like in the link above (the adel clamps) , but they are difficult to bend with your fingers.

6. Looks like an ADEL CLAMP

7. error404

error404
    from CA

I think I might have found some. A company called Heyco has what appears to be what I'm looking for. I'll try ordering some, if t hey let me order just a small amount of them

[​IMG]

https://www.heyco.com/Nylon_PVC_Har...oated-Steel-Clamps&section=Nylon_PVC_Hardware

(edit) I was able to place an order for a small amount of them (sometimes these companies have like a 1000 minimum order), we'll see if these are as flexible as the 1 I have on my diesel motor. Hopefully they are :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  8. error404

error404
    from CA

ouch, some of those are expensive! haha!

9. Similar to an Adel clamp but not nearly as diabolical...

10. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Adel clamps I've seen make a complete loop with a bolt hole in both ends of the strap. Used to use a ton of them installing aftermarket a/c systems back in the '70s.

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  11. error404

error404
    from CA

I have quite a few of the Adel type clamps, but they are not as easily bendable as the ones I'm looking for. Being bolted down on just one side and very malleable, you can easily unbend the strap with your fingers and remove the wire or hose, or whatever without removing the bolt. But they stay put even with the vibration of the engine. They seem to be quite convenient :)

12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

In that particular application of the GM T5 trans, I think it holds the vent tube on a Camaro gear box.

13. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  14. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

See the link in the above post. $2.50/ea.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  15. error404

error404
    from CA

Thanks! If the ones I ordered from Heyco don't work (they were 60 cents each) I'll give that transmission clip a try thanks :)