Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Australian Hot Rod Brothers check in.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lothiandon1940, Dec 31, 2019.

1. jailbar joe

jailbar joe

i'm in york,west australia 100km east of perth....we are in no danger at all.....
    most of the fires are north and south of perth and to the east of perth as well...
    the only direction there is no fire is west...thankfully the ocean don't burn...
    a zillion brownie points to the firey's doing there best to keep us safe...a sad start to the year

2. wandi harry

wandi harry

Looks like we are in the firing line for this weekend. ( Bright , NE Victoria)
    Fires pushing east then an expected southerly wind change pushing it our way on saturday, a forecast 43c day
    Going to get the kids and wife out, got the dam as my last resort, only hope it doesn't get that bad
    Feel prepared and not a lot of bush close.
    Listening to radio now of people who have lost everything, heartbreaking

3. wandi harry

wandi harry

your right ,only way to beat these fires is decent rain

4. Lil32

Lil32

we are safe here
    Prayers to all others in danger

5. South Australia here. My brother is a HAMB bloke, Adelaide Hills. Dodged it last week by 6 miles. Yes, we have snake issues too- eastern browns, the bastards kill with their bite. I had a meeting with one while taking a pee behind the shed on Christmas day. Slow-ly...bye bye...
    I think they've just got on top of this fire after 14 or so days, but here we go again tomorrow, 110 degrees.
    It's a badass summer, worst I've seen. Even seen the conspiracy videos. Cannot believe some folk still haven't cleaned up around their homes.
    The fire near my brother's house destroyed around 100 homes a week or so ago.

6. Thanks for checking in everyone. We're all thinking about you here in the U.S.A. and sending up prayers.

7. clem

clem

Yep, smoke is causing a haze here, so I can’t imagine what the Australian people are living through.
    Images on tv news are horrific.
    I spent the day with a friend, whose son is in the middle of some of the worst of the fires, trying to save livestock.
    She can’t contact him, due to cell towers down and phone and power outages.
    So a trying time for many, and it may not get better soon.

8. Thank you to all that have been able to check in here. You are all in our thoughts and prayers.

9. Lil32

Lil32

Thanks guys
    one local paper has stated as many as 1000 homes may be destroyed
    15 people have lost their life and many more unaccounted for

10. Deuces

Deuces

I'm wondering if the Lake Illawarra district got hit with the fires???.... I still have relatives living in that area.... Used to be my old stomping grounds during the '60s.... :(

11. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Some of these are heading that way but I don’t know anything more

Attached Files:

OLSKOOL57, AHotRod, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  12. Deuces

Deuces

Thanks mate.....:(

13. Hopeyer safe where you are Noel. Prayers from Okieland US of A

OLSKOOL57, pprather, Lil32 and 4 others like this.
  14. Ten years ago 170 people were killed in the big Victorian fires. Very emotional scenes on TV and Utube. Lots more devastation to come according to the reports. Thoughts and prayers for all those that have lost everything and those trapped on the beaches. Lots of city folks on summer school vacation who probably have,nt a clue now. As an old Aussie who has seen his fair share of bushfires i can,t understand the building laws in the attached photo. I wonder if modern city folk actually know what to do when fire hits. Very annoying to see a dumb city TV reporter describing how the paint had melted from the burnt out cars when it was actually melted aluminium engine blocks and aluminium wheels that were seeping out from under the wrecks like lava streams from a volcano.
    2020-01-02-at-3.21.25-pm.png

15. The images tend to rip at your heart.:(

OLSKOOL57, AHotRod, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  16. Dago 88

Dago 88
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Safe where I am ( about an hour west of Sydney) but very bad on the outskirts, not far from me. A lot of friends & relatives are awaiting evacuation orders today, Thanks HAMB brothers for your concern & your prayers.

OLSKOOL57, AHotRod, Stogy and 4 others like this.
  17. ken bogren

ken bogren

Looking at some of the pictures I wonder how you guys can breath the air?

Hoping for the best for all of you!

OLSKOOL57, Stogy, j hansen and 5 others like this.
  18. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

On the news last night the air quality in Canberra is now the worst in the world. I wonder if the right people will get a message! Glad I am not at the Summer Nats as it is on in Canberra at present.

On another note just a thank you to those Fireys from Canada and the USA ( That should include NZ as well) that have given up Christmas and New Year to be in Australia. I know some have come just to support the incident control crews. I was once on call to go to the USA to help so I know the commitment they have given to be here.

19. ...........If ever there was a time to come together and support each other this would be it.

OLSKOOL57, Saxman, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  20. Thats for sure, I think I heard on the news this morning more help is being deployed. Also just heard that massive evacuations are going on. God be with all of you.

OLSKOOL57, dan31, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  21. The images I just saw on the news are beyond scary. :(

OLSKOOL57, Deuces, HOTFR8 and 2 others like this.
  22. e1956v

e1956v
    Alliance Vendor

We went through this in 2012 and 2013 here in Colorado Springs. Thoughts and prayers to all of you down under. Waldo_Canyon_Fire_Nate_Zeman_900_WM.jpg WC2.jpg WALDO CANYON FIRE.png

OLSKOOL57, Stogy, Deuces and 6 others like this.
  23. mopacltd

mopacltd

This hits home after going through the Yarnell Hill fire in 2013. The people in charge have no idea how to control this.

24. clem

clem

Once the fires start, (usually lightning strikes), unless put out immediately, you are at the mercy of the weather, wind being the worst.
    The control needs to be done before the fire season comes, with fire breaks, controlled burn offs etc

OLSKOOL57, bchctybob, dan31 and 6 others like this.
  25. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

Sadly in many cases here the control burns have not been done here due to such dry conditions.

OLSKOOL57, AHotRod, Lil32 and 6 others like this.
  26. Deuces

Deuces

Wish I could get my ass back down there and help out.....:(

OLSKOOL57, mad mikey, Lil32 and 5 others like this.
  27. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've lived in SoCal for over 50 years and have seen some pretty bad wild fires but nothing like what is going on down under right now. My heart goes out to everyone affected by these fires.

OLSKOOL57, mad mikey, Lil32 and 3 others like this.
  28. neilswheels

neilswheels
    from England

I, like many, have seen the news coverage, super scary. My thoughts are with you all.

OLSKOOL57, mad mikey, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  29. HOTFR8

HOTFR8

TV news showed many fire fighters from the USA flying into Melbourne last night.
    Where I am today is again thick with smoke and it has been like that since early this morning.

OLSKOOL57, mad mikey, Lil32 and 2 others like this.
  30. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

We,have friends outside of Geelong where they taught for many years. Info is sketchy but they were up in a touristy lake area and were impacted but I believe theyre safe now. We need more info. We were invited down this year but put it off thank god. Don't know how you could breathe with or like that. A few summers ago we had smog coming up from the south east out of WA state and could see some haze and even that wasn't much fun to breathe. Good luck to all of you down there and may God and nature come to your aid in a hurry!

OLSKOOL57, Deuces, Hamtown Al and 4 others like this.