Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical New Stromberg 81’s now available!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fiftee3, Dec 27, 2019.

1. Happy pre New Year all,
    Not sure how many will be available but I got on a list and received my two new 81’s today! Love the black base with aluminum tops. Gathering parts to make my Banger.
    Here’s the original post on the Stromberg site...

2489B56D-83A1-4B93-92E7-8A99FD249190.jpeg
    Here’s one of the last emails to me from Stromberg...

Hi Phil,
    I hope this finds you well.
    We have new Stromberg 81-size carburetors ready to ship now. So if you are interested, please let me know your quantity and shipping address and we can get things moving for you.
    One last thing. I want to make sure everyone is aware that they still say 97 on the side. The launch price is $475.00.

We sent the first two to Charlie Yapp at Secrets of Speed which he installed on his speedster. This was his unsolicited report which we share with his permission:

Clive:
    To say these Stromberg 81's are nice is an understatement of a highest magnitude. With a pair of nice old rebuilt 97's pushing my Roof 101 OHV speedster around, I have been under the impression that the camshaft I'm running was the primary problem with my lumpy idle and twitchy tachometer . . . Wrong! It was the old carbs and their crocky idle circuits.
    When I swapped out the old for the new 81s, the entire experience of getting her to run and driving was refreshed and smooth as a baby's butt. She idles gently down to under 600 rpm (instead of an uneven 1200 rpm) and doesn't stall when I step on it. I do not need to pump the pedal to fuel her up . . just turn the key and there she goes with stock jetting.
    I have one of the "Rattler" flywheels and now the lack of vibration is even more impressive. The top end was exciting as I hit 65 mph so quickly shooting out the freeway ramp I thought I must have misread the speedo. Wow! The speed, pickup and smooth acceleration has made it imperative that I own a pair of these. . . . Donna (who does not understand the details) was equally impressed by its ease of starting and smooth acceleration and going up hills without slowing down. Gas mileage was coming in at 18.5 mpg. Very impressive Sir!

All the best

Clive
    www.stromberg-97.com www.stromberg-bulletin.com
    www.facebook/stromberg97 @Stromberg97

And here is one of my new arrivals today!

9CE5016D-3281-44C7-923C-32577AE059E8.jpeg

wicarnut and town sedan like this.
  2. town sedan

town sedan

Thanks for the information. I've been thinking of about a couple 81's on a 255 Mercury in a fenderless '32. I know others will disagree with my thinking, but with a bump in compression and a modified Chevy distributor it might make for a nice street car.
    -Dave

3. Dave, I agree. Further, they need to run at a regulated 2.5 PSI. My build won’t be completed for a while but I anticipate these will work wonderfully.

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5 of them would look great on my Howard but not the 2500 bill. EF6B1E63-5ED2-4FBF-BDD9-813012AEBB32.jpeg

winduptoy likes this.

5. Wow! With an engine like that what’s 2500.00! That looks awesome.

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, All spare parts from racing GMC’s since 1975 and stuff I bought cheap. The valve cover and side cover were gifts from Tony Baron. I’ve enough to build 5-6 more including 2 injected 12 ports. They would only need pistons. Last time I counted I had 8 302 cranks. I would probably run out of tin parts first.