Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical tire opinions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Brown, Dec 19, 2019.

1. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

On your 56 Ford, the bias ply tires look good. That being said, 56 Fords did not suffer from an overabundance of Torque/HP even in 56, and the auto trans made performance even worse. A bias ply tire is probably sufficient if you haven't upgraded your engine and transmission to something more powerful. I say that with 56 Ford Hardtops being one of my all time favorite cars.
    The Ops original question was about whether a skinny tire looks better than a wide tire, not whether a radial looks better than a bias ply. There are wide bias ply tires, and there are skinny radial tires that mimic the 50s bias plys.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so what does "better" mean? Some here like the fifties skinny tire as" better." Others among us like a wider tire ......and most don't really care whether its a bias ply or a radial (as far as looks go) as long as its big and wide.
    Everyone knows that the choice of wheels and tires put on a vehicle makes a statement about the car and the owner. When someone pulls alongside a vehicle that has not upgraded its tires to a wider rubber patch, It doesn't matter what type of engine it has in it............it is probably all looks (all show no go). Take your 56 Ford as an example. Its a very nice looking car but I certainly wouldn't think twice about running you . Thats not intended as a slight, but simply saying that the overall perception I have is that performance is not your goal.
    Take a look at the car below. Certainly not something period perfect, but it does offer a completely different perception to me if I pull up next to it at a red light. Depending on which vehicle I'm driving that day I might give him a try, but I don't think its going to be an easy thing to do.

Roadster rear 1 001.jpg
    I believe those are bias ply tires but if they aren't, then here are some that are.

Mickey Thompson tire 1 001.jpg
    As I mentioned, "better" means different things to different people. I find the installation of a large engine into a vehicle incapable of harnessing that power to be technically contradictory. So to me it is "Not Better" Thats my opinion and thats the explanation of why I feel that way. It doesn't mean my opinion is any more important than those who feel it doesn't matter and "skinny bias tires" are the only acceptable tires.

What I don't like though is the assertion that anyone who likes wider tires is opining in deference to the Hambs guidelines. First, radial tires did become available in the US in the sixties, not the 70s as you stated. Also, while selectively attacking which tires someone uses, all the other non-period perfect items used in many (if not the majority) of cars is ignored. I don't see anyone having a problem with these period cars running newer braking systems, electronic ignitions, modern wiring , 4 speed overdrive trnsmissions, and even 350 Chevy engines and Turbo 350 transmissions.. These items certainly weren't commonplace or even available in the fifties. They pretty much came in the sixties just like radial tires.
    While I understand the idea that we don't want to get into the late model computer controlled engines and transmissions on the Hamb, I don't think that the idea of using big wide tires on a hot rod is taking the Hamb into another universe.

Hot Rod May 001.jpg

[/QUOTE]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    swade41 likes this.
  2. touring20

touring20

Love the "radial look "bias ! Had bias white walls on my tub , almost got drug into the side of a semi at sixty , chasing ruts , never again.

3. I like the new tires but think the rears could be a bit wider, but I'm a performance kinda guy, I don't know what you got under the hood so maybe the skinny rears are more than capable for what you need. I have L78-15's on the rear of my bucket and although they look much wider than the previous 6.50-16's they still look a little thin at certain angles, it's all about personal preference nobody here is paying for parts on your car, so make yourself happy.

guthriesmith and ekimneirbo like this.
  4. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well...the engine is a plenty healthy 4 bolt main 350, roller cammed...that being said it EASILY breaks these tires loose, from a standstill or rolling and would surely benefit from wider tires, but, it also did the same with the wider TAs.....and, since I normally dont waste much time spinning the wheels or blasting down the road 20+ over the speed limit ( I grew out of that stage bout the time I graduated from high school), its mostly about aesthetics for me. I can appreciate both looks and have had both over the years. One thing I learned years ago was...no matter how fast your car is, there's always someone a little faster and no matter how tuff you think you are, there's always someone a little tougher. Blowin' your tires off at a signal now days will get you a ridiculously large ticket and possibly car confiscation anymore as well as a giant jump in insurance premiums....so I guess it all comes down to what you like and how you drive the car.......by the way Swade41, luv your replies just to check out your avatar, the best on this site.

5. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

I may be getting older, but I refuse to grow up....

Around here, 20 over the limit is the norm, get used to it, or stick to the slow lane and have cars riding your tail.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Which brand are they? I like them...

guthriesmith likes this.
  7. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Coker American Classics

8. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20 over the limit here is 90...90 gets a car confiscated here....45 in town is the regular speed limit with radar cops everywhere, 65 in a 45 here will get your license revoked. Guess its different in SoCal, but here, I prefer to keep my driving privileges.

9. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

If they were confiscating cars at 90 around here, there would be a line of tow trucks headed to impound yards all over the southland.

10. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Well at least you skinny tire guys admit your opinion is "biased" .........:D

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
  11. I would like to see that profile photo over on the photoshop thread to just see what it would look like with black rims, for my own curiosity, but I'm not going to ask over there for a car that's not mine, kinda weird ya know.

ekimneirbo likes this.
  12. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

I would like to see a profile view of the Doyle Gammel 32 Ford and see if it could be scaled........

13. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

For that matter, bias look radials don't belong on the Traditional forum either. The whole thread should be moved.

D-Russ likes this.
  14. clem

clem

Ron,
    I think you have just ‘finished’ the car by putting on the skinnier tyres.
    Taken it from a street rod to a hot rod. Nice car, - Well done ?

Stogy and guthriesmith like this.
  15. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

thx Clem

Stogy likes this.
  16. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Boy that must have taken a long time to type. Point is that radial tires and discussions about them, do not belong on the "Traditional Hot Rods" board. Heck, at one time, it wouldn't even be allowed on the HAMB. And to your point, I have several "non traditional" parts on my car, but I don't start threads about them, and I never post anything about my car on the "Traditional" forum, because it simply doesn't belong there. BTW, Radial TAs came out in the late 70s, and 1968 is outside the HAMB's window of focus. Where are the mods these days?![/QUOTE]

Point is that radial tires and discussions about them, do not belong on the "Traditional Hot Rods" board.
    I haven't ever seen anything that says that. Is that your opinion or is there something somewhere that states that?
    Also, this isn't my thread. Are you saying that Ron Browns beautiful semi-classic roadster shouldn't be allowed on the thread because of his tire choice ? I think a lot of builders learned a few things from Rons pics and info.

BTW, Radial TAs came out in the late 70s, and 1968 is outside the HAMB's window of focus.
    Again, I have never seen anything that says technology from the sixties is not allowed on this site. If what you say is true, then every car with a 350Chevy/350Turbo would be omitted from posting because they weren't produced until 68 just like the radial tires. Following your line of thought, that means no cars with Ford 302/351 Windsor engines, No 428/455 Pontiacs, No 390/429 Cadillacs, No Muncie 4 speeds, No Chevy Big Blocks, No aluminum Buick 215s,no Stereo Radios, no disc brakes, no aluminum wheels, and if that doesn't disqualify virtually everyone .....what about the aftermarket 4 barrel carburetors and distributors that everyone runs? I think there are a lot of things besides tires that are being used in peoples project cars that came from the sixties.

I have to wonder why you decided to make a statement about tires when you created a thread (a very nice thread) https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...rhead-pictures-of-your-hot-rod-thread.978946/
    It shows a lot of really nice Hot Rods and there are several that obviously have Radial T/A tires on them. There are even a few complete cars pictured that weren't manufactured until the 60s. Not only did you not have a problem with those cars, but you clicked the "like" button for them. Now on this thread you are complaining . Why don't we all try to be a little more tolerant of minor discrepancies and appreciate the overall essence of the vehicles when obviously they are nice Hot Rods with a nostalgic flavor. Its not like somebody posted an Edsel or something. ;)
    Radial TA on coupe.jpg
    This is just one of the pictures from the site you created that you said you "liked".
    Personally I think you should post more about your car. From what I saw on your profile page, I though it was pretty interesting.:)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Ron Brown likes this.
  17. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If I post under Hokey Ass Message Board, which category do you use if you have a technical question...tech questions are on Traditional only?

swade41 and Stogy like this.
  18. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't think they, are you can post in any forum you deem your question relates too...

Hopped Up Falcons are not Traditional Hotrods...I would say Falcon Tech is Hokey Ass Forum for Tech for example...

As eluded your tire tech regardless belongs on Hokey Ass...This is something we all should consider when posting a thread...

It's no big deal to change it either just let a mod know and they can port it over...

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  19. sunbeam

sunbeam

Michelin built a lot on radial tires in the 50s

20. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Point is that radial tires and discussions about them, do not belong on the "Traditional Hot Rods" board.
    I haven't ever seen anything that says that. Is that your opinion or is there something somewhere that states that?
    Also, this isn't my thread. Are you saying that Ron Browns beautiful semi-classic roadster shouldn't be allowed on the thread because of his tire choice ? I think a lot of builders learned a few things from Rons pics and info.

BTW, Radial TAs came out in the late 70s, and 1968 is outside the HAMB's window of focus.
    Again, I have never seen anything that says technology from the sixties is not allowed on this site. If what you say is true, then every car with a 350Chevy/350Turbo would be omitted from posting because they weren't produced until 68 just like the radial tires. Following your line of thought, that means no cars with Ford 302/351 Windsor engines, No 428/455 Pontiacs, No 390/429 Cadillacs, No Muncie 4 speeds, No Chevy Big Blocks, No aluminum Buick 215s,no Stereo Radios, no disc brakes, no aluminum wheels, and if that doesn't disqualify virtually everyone .....what about the aftermarket 4 barrel carburetors and distributors that everyone runs? I think there are a lot of things besides tires that are being used in peoples project cars that came from the sixties.

I have to wonder why you decided to make a statement about tires when you created a thread (a very nice thread) https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...rhead-pictures-of-your-hot-rod-thread.978946/
    It shows a lot of really nice Hot Rods and there are several that obviously have Radial T/A tires on them. There are even a few complete cars pictured that weren't manufactured until the 60s. Not only did you not have a problem with those cars, but you clicked the "like" button for them. Now on this thread you are complaining . Why don't we all try to be a little more tolerant of minor discrepancies and appreciate the overall essence of the vehicles when obviously they are nice Hot Rods with a nostalgic flavor. Its not like somebody posted an Edsel or something. ;)
    View attachment 4524848
    This is just one of the pictures from the site you created that you said you "liked".
    Personally I think you should post more about your car. From what I saw on your profile page, I though it was pretty interesting.:)[/QUOTE]
    You've been around here for almost 3 years and you didn't know the HAMB technically has a cutoff date of 1965? Post 65 equipment sometimes gets a pass when the mods are being lenient, but never on the Traditional forums.

D-Russ and Stogy like this.
  21. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

You've been around here for almost 3 years and you didn't know the HAMB technically has a cutoff date of 1965? Post 65 equipment sometimes gets a pass when the mods are being lenient, but never on the Traditional forums.[/QUOTE]

First, Radial Tires were produced and sold in the US by BF Goodrich in 1965 which technically makes them eligible for use on vintage Hot Rods. There has been a previous HAMB thread on this subject. Here is a quote.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/history-of-radial-tires.612393/
    "With the notable exception of B.F. Goodrich, the American tire companies decided that the American public wasn’t ready to pay a lot more for the harder ride that radials produced, and they stuck to making bias ply tires. Goodrich bucked this trend by investing heavily in radial tire technology, only to have their tire—the Silvertown Radial 900, introduced in 1965" Radial tires were used in Europe since 48 and therefore since these cars were imported into America replacement radial tires were available .

The second question is one I previously asked. Where does the "Traditional Hot Rods" state that there is a cut off date of 1965? I'll gladly adhere to what Ryan wants, but his examples are simply pictures with nothing specific about about what can be used, only about how it should look overall. I think Ron Browns car fits well within the definition of how Ryan wants cars to look. The fact is that radial tires that look very much like older bias ply tires should be a good thing, not something to harangue him or any any other builder about. If you scan over the thread, you find there are only about 3 of you who have a problem with his tires. Most others seemed to be OK with them and some wanted more info.
    As for my comments, I merely said that I think wide tires look better than narrow tires and showed examples of wide bias ply tires. You guys started the radial tire issue.....not me. Secondly, I arrived at this thread by clicking on the HAMB, not by clicking "Traditional" and I didn't even notice the heading. Then for some reason you jump up and down about radial tires not being available in 1965, .....and you were wrong about that. Now many of you may hate radial tires but you should at least get your facts straight . If you look at the pictures below, you will see wider rear tires being used. The pictures are straight out of the examples that Ryan posted for the Traditional section.
    thumb.jpg

thumb (32).jpg

thumb (x2).jpg

Also, I looked over the "Traditional " section and found many examples of threads which were not the least bit traditional. Things like adapting an S10 shifter to a T5 transmission, rebuilding a 455 Pontiac,one wire alternators, and rebuilding a 350 Chevy. No pre-65 stuff there. One of the more recent ones is called "BlaspHemi". Its about a 55 Chevy gasser with large rear tires, an all aluminum Hemi 528 engine and electronically controlled fuel injection.
    https://www.holley.com/blog/post/ho...redible_blasphemi_55_chevy_to_900_horsepower/
    "but never on the Traditional forums"
    Yep, all of that in the "Traditional" section and not one of you guys has a problem with those threads. You want to make a big issue out of someone running a tire that looks traditional......looks just like the cars in Ryans examples, and then spread incorrect information.
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/blasphemi.1178265/

Now I'm perfectly willing to adhere to a "pre 65" regimen if thats what Ryan wants, again all I ask is to point out where this requirement comes from and I will be fine with it.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  22. Moriarity

Moriarity
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I moved the thread to the main board. the traditional hot rod forum is no place for a discussion on radial tires...... and I pm'd ekimneirbo the link to where the written rules are because he I guess has never seen them

Blues4U, Kiwi 4d and D-Russ like this.
  23. ekimneirbo

ekimneirbo

Thanks Moriarity. For anyone else that hasn't seen the written version of the rules, go to the "Introductions" section of the HAMB. The wording is pretty simplistic and the basic statement is :
    Rule 4: We cover traditional '65 and older American cars only. All other threads will be deleted. We don't cover rat rods, muscle cars, mustangs, or VWs."

Does leave some room for interpretation about tires but the rules also state that the site gets to decide what that means......and they say it means radial tires.

Now that I have seen the rules, I'm OK with them and the interpretation the Mod provided. I have suggested that they attach the rules to the individual sites and modify them slightly to make them more relevant. The basic rule as written and available in the "Introduction section" seems to apply to all of the HAMB. If that assertion is correct on my part, radial tires and many other components used on semi-traditional Rods are unacceptable everywhere on the HAMB. I suggested that something be written along the lines of:

In the Traditional Cars section cars and components used and discussed should be original or reproductions of original components made in 65 or prior years.

In the General HAMB section cars must be original or reproductions of 65 and earlier years but the components used in their construction can be made after 65 with the following exceptions:

I think that would go a long way in making it easy to know what things are acceptable on all the sites .

Again, thanks for the help Moriarity !

Moriarity and Blues4U like this.