Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bolting on 1000 period correct horsepower

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Apr 14, 2007.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I don't know that I'd have the balls to run this thing either but I'd sure like to at least hear it. I gotta find it a home with somebody with a large wallet and even bigger gonads that will fire this thing up!

DemonTweaks and classiccarjack like this.
  2. metalshapes

metalshapes

Did anybody ever run one at Bonneville?

Its Wheel Driven so you could put one in a Streamliner, right?

Or a Belly Tank?

Or would the All or Nothing power make it useless for the salt?

3. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

yeah, i think the max run is like two minutes on one of these due to extreme temperatures. plus it will deafen people in neighboring countries I'm told. that's why I want to hear one run! I am not too familiar with the bonneville rules so I don't know how long each run lasts or how much time you have before the return run. it would definitely fit a streamliner though. It's dimensions are perfect for that.

4. sawzall

sawzall

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

Another thought...

With a V8 burning gas in the front and this one running on Thermolene you've got yourself a Hybrid Vehicle...:)

kidcampbell71 and unclescooby like this.
  6. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

yeah, is there a hybrid class at bonneville yet? I'm pretty sure this would trounce the shit out of Prius.

7. pbkiel

pbkiel
    from California

NIce thread... very informative and also fun to read :D
    I can use this info on dealing with some truck accesories. tnx anyway!

8. McGrath

McGrath

9. borntoolate

borntoolate

Nothing of any substance to add here, only to say that unclescooby is a fine writer and I'm glad to now know about the Turbonique. The smarter I get, the more I realize I don't know. Thanks.

10. T McG

T McG
    from Phoenix

There used to be a guy in western New York that was well known for twin engined cars. He had a 36 Ford with two Pontiacs, a 55 Chevy with two 409's, but he had a twin engined Valiant with 413s and was experimenting with one of these things when it blew up and burned down a whole block of buildings. He rebuilt the Valiant minus the roof because of fire damage, and minus the drag axle. Apparently they didn't hold up too well to explosions and fire.

11. 97

Turbonique used to take out full page ads in all the auto magazines , the ads looked like the old , "make millions from home with mail order" scams , I think they probably put more people off than attracted sales .
    In saying that ,the ads were around for quite a while so a fair number must have been sold...there must be some out there , most likely never used, like a lot of "projects"
    There is a guy , here in New Zealand , making similar type of thing from old Turbochargers.....lpg . He sells a CD on how to make them.

He makes pulse jets too from small to huge and once built a twin engined pulse jet dragster and a go kart.

http://aardvark.co.nz/pjet
    http://www.interestingprojects.com/

http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/masterindex.shtml

12. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I'm betting there aren't really a lot of these out there used or unused. They were about $3000 in 1964. That's kind of like buying a new Impala and not using it. The smaller units are out there. I've had five of them and three were unused but the drag axle was huge money for it's day. I think it was more of publicity thing for them although it obviously did work. It's a seriously evil monkey.

13. Ranchero

Ranchero

I think the idea of Turbo-superchargers driven by rocket exhaust was experimented with during WW2 for aircraft. I've read some accounts of its use but off-hand I can't think of any aircraft that actually employed it. The gear driven superchargers had reached there limit even with dual stages and dual speeds so the engineers were willing to try anything. <O:p</O:p
    <O:p
    In a similar vein, the fuel pumps on big rocket engines are driven by the rocket exhaust. <O:p
    The Luftwaffe used T-Stoff and C-Stoff to fuel their rocket planes in WW2. One of the compounds was Hydrogen Peroxide and when the 2 compounds were mixed they instantly ignited. As Rooman stated, it was highly volatile and toxic and would burn flesh and spontaneously combust. The Me-163 could climb at over 14,000’/min. (450 mph at a 45 degree climb angle), but it only had 3 minutes worth of fuel.<O:p</O:p
    <O:p</O:p
    The idea of directly gearing the supercharger to the drivetrain (in this case the crankshaft) was also used by aircraft engines -the Wright Turbo Compound Engine of the 1940's - 50's. This was probably the most sophisticated production, reciprocating, aircraft engine of all time. I 'm pretty sure there are posts about it on the HAMB already. It was problem prone however.
    The jet engine came along and made all of these technologies obsolete.<O:p</O:p

14. AstroMonkey

AstroMonkey

I remember seeing something about this on TV one time. For the life of me I can't remember what I was watching though.

15. rooman

rooman

Ranchero,
    I remember reading somewhere (eons ago) that the big problem with the ME 163 Komet came when the pilot tried to land on the skid. If all of the fuel had not been used the impact of landing quite often was enough to cause an explosion.

Roo

16. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I finally really have this thing. If anyone can resize the pix, I'll post them up. There aren't many good pics on the web so it's a good thing to have in your files.

classiccarjack likes this.
  17. elwood blues

elwood blues

I have been reading up on these things for about a year or so gathering all the info that I can and I for one think that the supercharger desine could be "recreated" with the use of a big strong turbo that is hooked directly up to a combustion chamber and would burn no2 and toluene. I have been gathering up parts half assed for over 6 months and am rather close to testing the setup. I realy dont know if it will hold or go straight to hell but i'm maybe 2 months away from final assembly and "testing". I would love to provide any help i can on a drag axle monster!

18. Justwhistle

Justwhistle
    from Michigan

There is currently one of these Drag Axles on Ebay. This is the first one that I have seen since I started monitoring for Turbonique products for the last 3 years. I have seen many C2 Superchargers and one C4 Supercharger system that was NOS (which I purchased for one of my projects) The current auction link (May 2 2007) is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280110873451

If anyone has a C2, C4, C6 Supercharger please email me and we can chat. Thanks,:)

19. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

yeah, that's me. I can't afford to keep it with the Lincoln stuff I found and the couple of HAMBers that still owe me money. I just had to see it and the thrill of the hunt has been fun for the last few years.

20. classiccarjack

classiccarjack

21. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I did not keep it. Obviously I should have. But as I recall I did make enough profit to piss away on some other bad decision and ultimately have nothing to show for it all. It’s a gift I have, passed down through generations of family on my mothers side.
    One of Guffey’s friends bought it and I believe had another one too.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

22. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I do still have a jar of Thermolene that I’ve been saving for a particularly rowdy New Years Eve drinking contest that has not yet transpired. It is stored incorrectly in my garage so it’s probably lost its potency or should have exploded, taking most of Indiana with it, by now

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Isopropyl Nitrate. How old is that can?

24. big john d

big john d
    from ma

if i remember correctly the company had issues with selling incomplete kits and selling rocket fuel through the mail

25. big john d

big john d
    from ma

second post by the way captain jack mcclure found and restored his rocket gokart and made some short test hits a couple years ago at i think 85 0r 86 years old

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

If he wants to make it to 87 he better stay off that little F####r. LOL Lippy

Baumi and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. DemonTweaks

DemonTweaks
    from T-Town, WA

28. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Scooby, just found this thread, sounds like you don't need the fuel anymore, but if it's Hydrogen Peroxide you need/want/crave, 35% medical grade isn't that hard to find, or get. Isn't all that expensive, either. Don't get it on your skin/etc, = trouble right now. Is the Thermolene gelled? & did you ever post its' contents n %'s ? Always liked these things. WTF could possibly go wrong anways? :D . Just never any $$$. ;( .
    Marcus...

Hnstray likes this.
  29. Relic Stew

Relic Stew
    from Wisconsin

Thermolene is isopropyl nitrate, not H2O2. Extremely flammable, low order explosive, monopropellant. Made by reacting isopropyl alcohol and nitric acid, but that reaction is exothermic and will ignite the result as it is being produced. I didn't dig into how to moderate the reaction to keep the product intact.

The Rolls-Royce Avon tubojet used an isopropyl nitrate turbine as a starter.

One of the issues with the Turbonique was turning it off and back on in rapid sequence (as one might do in an attempt to control the power) could cause an explosion as un-ignited fuel was dumped into a hot chamber. This was not mentioned in the literature.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2019
    kidcampbell71 and Hnstray like this.