Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects New to H.A.M.B model A v8 Build

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Oiled_Shea, Nov 3, 2019.

1. catdad49

catdad49

See if you can find Ryan's Side Project Coupe thread. Lots of great pictures!

Oiled_Shea likes this.
  2. kkarlsrud

kkarlsrud
    from MN

3. Axel de Groot

Axel de Groot
    from Sweden

Looks good man! Im currently building an av8 coupe, i have a build thread aswell, feel free to check it out!
    I will Follow this build. Keep it up

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Oiled_Shea likes this.
  4. we should start a 30 pickup building club....LOL..... got my K-member and wishbones at Hershey as well. Had to carry them all the way from the red field to the parking lot........
    garage 1.jpg

Ron Funkhouser and Oiled_Shea like this.
  5. Oiled_Shea

Oiled_Shea

Thank you guys, this has been helpful! @kkarlsrud That link is amazing, what a build! @jim1932 haha that is awesome! too funny I found my k member in the lower chocolate field. luckily I got there early so I was parked close by. Looking forward to seeing your build!

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  6. Oiled_Shea

Oiled_Shea

So I have been busy working on the model A. Among many things I, Trimmed the k member to fit and channelled the firewall 3 3/4" over the frame. I decided to channel the firewall at the point were it flattens out instead of just cutting the bottom off.. the flathead fit so nicely with the smallest amount of room with the original firewall indentations, that I did not want to interrupt that. I like the way it came out and with a little more sanding and polishing it should almost look natural... haha.. IMG_9367.jpg IMG_9527.jpg IMG_9528.jpg

7. Welcome! Looking good.

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Oiled_Shea likes this.
  8. are those after market 32 K member? I don't know if I would cut those up for a model A build. Nothing wrong with it just an expensive way to go.

9. edcodesign

edcodesign
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nice start, welcome !

Oiled_Shea and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. greaser

greaser

Welcome, and good luck with the build.

chryslerfan55 and Oiled_Shea like this.
  11. 55styleliner

55styleliner

I have a ‘40 rear axle, lengthened my frame, c-notched it and used a reverse eye rear spring to get the stance dialed in.

3970F8FE-21AE-44E6-A824-94BE19CC277A.jpeg DD86A361-3C4A-4492-82A8-3EE0EF3AE443.jpeg

12. WC Durant

WC Durant

Do you have a shot of the rest of the cab and the box?

Oiled_Shea likes this.
  13. Tall t 26

Tall t 26

Awesome build. Looking good.

Oiled_Shea likes this.
  14. Halfdozen

Halfdozen
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Let me see if I understand this right:
    It looks like you channeled the cowl, dropping it down over the frame 3 3/4", then you sectioned the firewall the same amount, thus keeping the feet and toeboard area uncut. Is this correct? If so, great idea, it looks original from a distance, could you post a closer pic of the firewall?

chryslerfan55 and Oiled_Shea like this.
  15. v8flat44

v8flat44

It is gonna be really neat....i'm watch'n....

Oiled_Shea likes this.
  16. Oiled_Shea

Oiled_Shea

That is an original 32k member that I cut up to fit the model a frame, per the Tardel book. It happened to be a 4 cylinder k-member that I picked up at Hershey for a good price, a lot less then the aftermarket ones.

17. Oiled_Shea

Oiled_Shea

That looks great, would you happen to have a photo of the axle and the frame all set up? without the bed on. I am thinking of doing pretty much the same thing you have going on here. But then I also thought of reversing the banjo axle housings to put the spring in front of the axle. This is only a thought at the moment, I have not mocked it up to see if that will put the axle to far back messing with the overall look and rearend placement to the bed..

18. Oiled_Shea

Oiled_Shea

Not yet, I need to channel the floor pan structure then I will bolt and weld the rest of the body together to place on the chassis. At that point I can figure out how much I am going to chop out of the top.

19. Oiled_Shea

Oiled_Shea

Yep that is what I did, I will take a few more photos of the cowl once I have it all cleaned up nicely!

chryslerfan55 and Halfdozen like this.
  20. Joe Warren

Joe Warren

Cut off the spring mounts on axle housings from your stock A and weld/bolt them, then use the spring from your A. Hack off the 40 perches.

21. Joe Warren

Joe Warren

Too late...never mind.

22. Oiled_Shea

Oiled_Shea

I have seen that done, but I want to lower the rear end as much as possible with the smallest amount of kick/Z in the frame.

23. 55styleliner

55styleliner