Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical spark plug suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Ardinger, Dec 22, 2019.

1. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Happy Holidays to all,
    Looking for some suggestion on spark plugs for a 350 SBC .060 over 9:1, .500 lift Lunati solid cam and three rochesters. Mallory Unilite dist. No coil as of yet either. Looking for a plug and coil combo to start with.
    Thank you

2. I run nothing but NGK in my 36 3 window with a 283. My newer Silverado gets those
    also.. It's the only plug were the quality has not suffered from out sourcing..

3. squirrel

squirrel

does it have the early pre 1970 heads that use a gasket plug, or 70 or later heads that use the little taper seat plug? or does it have aftermarket heads?

If it's a later engine, I'd start with a R44TS

and some other distributor.

4. See "what squirrel said" acdelco

427 sleeper likes this.

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

I'm also running NGK plugs in my SBC powered 31"A" roadster with good success with MSD dist, box, coil, and spiral wound wires.
    The heads are Trick Flow and they had a recommended NGK number that was a resistor plug, which I used for the first set, but felt all along resistor plugs weren't needed with the spiral wound wires and decided to try for an interchange non resistor replacement after the new engine had seated in the rings and fuel and ignition properly set up.
    Parts store couldn't figure out the same plug in non resistor, so I called NGK. They were very courteous and gave me the number I needed. When I asked if they had an online listing of applications, sizes, heat ranges and etc. they said no, but got my address and mailed me a complete manual with all the info about spark plugs you could ever want! That book is magazine page size and about an inch thick:):cool:
    NGK is now my choice for plugs:D

6. 54vicky

54vicky

any brand but champion that is unless you do not mind plugs that do not fire.as squirrel stated AC or as oldman said ngk.after reading the highlanders mention of autolite I forgot to mention them as we also raced them never a miss when running 7200 lap after lap.I must confess had delusions of running champions in our floor jack but the wheelbarrow had first dibs

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
    427 sleeper likes this.
  7. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

8. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

It has late open chamber type heads. Thanks

9. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

You don't like my Unilite? I remember having one as a kid that seemed to work ok. Thanks for the plug number, that's what I was looking for.

10. squirrel

squirrel

I wouldn't use a Unilite. But if you like it, go for it. I'd suggest making sure the ground connection is real good, and keep spare parts with you if you travel far from home.

11. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

NGK in all vehicles, outboard, and lawnmower also.

12. I run NGK platinum plugs and love them. They are more expensive, but I have found that they last longer and are less prone to fouling.
    Bob

13. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nobody said it yet, Autolite. Every plug I ran in my racer would either foul or short out in 3 differnt cylinders. I tried Champs, NGK, AC, even the Accel stuff. I switched to Autolites and never EVER had a foul or short. I had a nice clean tune up on it so I didn't understand what was happening but the simple fact is they'd last hundreds of rounds of racing without fail. This was a BBC with 14:1 compression on VP 110 fuel. All my N2O pals ran em too, that's where I got the push to use em. To this day they're still my go-to plug and nothing's changed for me. I put em in 6 and 7 figure American Classics, hot rods, my daily gas burners couldn't be more confident. The only thing I ever ran NGKs in was my Doo 800 triple but every once in a while I'd get failure there too, but the heat range was right so I just put up with it and carried spares. I think plugs are like oil loyalties and folks get decent results and stick with it. Your results may vary, tax n title extra, void where prohibited, blah, blah, blah...

14. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, plug brands are indeed like oil brands.

Most of us aren't running 14:1 on 110 fuel, and we can get buy with a wide variety of plugs. I use AC plugs because I can remember the numbers.

alanp561 and 427 sleeper like this.
  15. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You tube has a show on fake NGK’s. I run them in my race car a wife’s Honda. I only buy from Sparkplugs.com in Menefee Ca. Delivered by the big brown truck. When I rode, I’d fire up the HD have nice ride out before Bonneville.

16. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

^^^^^^^^^^^^?????????????

17. squirrel

squirrel

yup, counterfeit spark plugs are a thing. A friend had to get his heads remachined after using "fake" plugs, they pulled the threads out of the heads, because the threads in the plug were not formed properly.

My guess is they only counterfeit expensive plugs, so us guys that use cheap name brand plugs are probably OK :)

18. 54BOMB

54BOMB

With the unilite you need a matching Mallory coil and probably that little box that cancels voltage spikes . 20+ Years ago I was at a gas station and there was a pretty girl who needed a jump start , I of course offered a jump from my muscle car , she drove off and I called a friend to take me to super shops to buy another unilite module .

19. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Pretty girls - laying a swath of misery and destruction wherever they go! God love 'em.

54BOMB and dirty old man like this.
  20. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

thanks guys, I have a box of R44TS here so I'll try them.

21. ACs with manifolds
    NGKs with headers.