Register now to get rid of these ads!
Auctions

1958 Watson inspired Fairlane

Discussion in 'Cars For Sale' started by cabong, Sep 30, 2019.

1. cabong

cabong

City: Boise

State: Idaho
    Price: 12,500.00
    I bought this '58 Fairlane about 10 years ago, with the intention of completing it as a 60's custom. It already had a '57 front clip installed, which I like much better than the '58. However, I like the '58 quad lights better than the '57 bugeyes. So I installed quads in the '57 fenders (no small task), rounded the hood corners, and molded in the upper grille surround. I have a '59 Galaxie grille which has been reshaped to fit the '57 opening. The hood scoop is a Ford Super Duty (Big Job) from the fifties. The side trim has been polished, and fitted to the '57 fenders. The rear incorporates a '57 "300" bumper and '59 Bonneville lenses in the stock bezels, which have been rechromed. The paint is yellow pearl and candy green, and is patterned after the Watson painted '59 El Camino, which I saw in 1960, and swore that I'd do that one day. I got delayed in finishing the critter when I realized that the mill, a 429 "Thunderjet" had been professionally built, to go fast. It has very few miles, albeit 1/4 mile at a time. It runs 13.20 104mph at altitude (Boise). It would probably do 12.75's at sea level. Not bad for a big 'ol critter. I plan to de-tune and change the rear for street use. It need lots of finishing, including interior, chrome, some wiring, etc. It is currently registered for the street. ferral black kitten 002.JPG giddy up go 012.JPG ferral black kitten 002.JPG

exterminator likes this.
  2. cabong

cabong

Okay, the time has come. I'm currently pulling the rear end, and will replace with a stock 9". After that, I am going to pull the engine/tranny, and replace with a stock 429/460 with a C6. I am going to lower another couple inches, install the old original upholstery, and advertise, probably on Ebay. The price will be $10K. If anyone is interested, I will sell before swapping the engine. The current is engine is very low miles, like under 5K, new carb, new air gap, new radiator, new MSD complete, new headers, new 2.5" exhaust, new C4 tranny and adaptor, new quicksilver shifter, new wheels, new tires. Chrome bumpers ('57) will be on and the grille ('59) wil;l; be installed. The new engine/tranny is used.........

exterminator likes this.