Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lumps in Epoxy Primer?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mister Bill, Dec 16, 2019.

1. mister Bill

mister Bill

I have lumps in the epoxy primer. The paint looks perfect until I start sanding it, then lumps start showing up under the surface. Some of them will sand out, some I can push them off with my fingernail, some of them I have to sand back down with 120 grit.
    I painted the cab of my truck three weeks ago and it has been sitting in a cold building. I have a binks #7 siphon feed which I had opened all of the way up, I usually do not do that, I dumped a lot of paint on the cab. I strained the epoxy after I mixed it. Cannot think of anything else I might have done wrong.

Lumps.jpg

Gummed Up Sandpaper.jpg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  2. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

First your using two conflicting terms, you don't paint primer you spray primer or you prime a part.
    Epoxy primer if not shook properly especially when the primer is old will not mix. The solids stay clumped and are not Catalyzed so you must remove all the clumps....
    You can not work over this!
    If you just bought the primer take it back and have them replace it with new product. And use a strainer with all products when mixing.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

One more thing, all material that is catalyzed must stay at 70゚or higher for curing. I would not put it out in the cold for 48 hours or longer.

4. sounds like some kind of contamination
    also check the dates on the products
    how long has the hardener been open?
    any moisture filters or traps used?

5. Rich B.

Rich B.
    Member Emeritus
    from Portage,IN

SPI’s web sites spokesman said you should never
    Let paint be stored below 42 degrees.

Rich

da34guy likes this.
  6. What Rich B said.

7. Pats55

Pats55
    from NJ

Any chance that that paint froze in your building? If so there is your lumps. If you strained it is the only thing I can think of. You said you laid it on real good, I think that you might be better off with thin multiple coats and of course watching that your above 70°.

8. 500caddy

500caddy

Why would saying painted primer or spraying primer cause this and if you read it he said he stained it

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. Even though you strained it after mixing, the 2 parts may not have been totally blended. Well blended epoxy paint will be hard when cured and dust when sanded. Any unblended globules will be softer nuggets in the finished surface which will gum up your sandpaper.

10. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I've sprayed thousands of gallons of epoxy in a industrial setting and product age is the biggest problem, two years from day of production is all PPG would give there epoxy ten years ago. What they do now?

11. Another tip/ Epoxy must be induced for a mininum of 20 minutes before straining, after it's mixed real well with the catalyst

56premiere likes this.
  12. KenC

KenC

True for most. I use Kirker and it requires no induction time. That, along with the 1:1 mix ratio, convinced me to try that brand..I like it. Works well and cheaper than most.

OP, the lumps could be tiny water droplets from the air supply. Be sure that your air setup isn't causing that.

13. SPI is also a 1:1 ratio and an induction time is required. Don't know about Kiker as I never use bottom end products

14. mister Bill

mister Bill

Oh good! I thought my problem might be that I do not have a ‘cement’ floor!
    UGH! Think this project will be on hold for a while 9° tomorrow night!
    I keep it in the basement, so there is a least one thing that I did right.
    forever
    Do I use one, or do I use one that actually works? (not really I have a cheap water separator)

15. oldolds

oldolds

Not that I really know anything, but. When you get lumps like that either in the gun or on the sprayed surface it is usually the wrong activator or it was too old. At least that was what I was told at the Martin Senour factory when I was there for a little bit of training back in the late 80's

16. I would speculate the hardener is bad then.

da34guy and tb33anda3rd like this.
  17. That's definately the problem

anthony myrick likes this.
  18. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Is the primer mixed 3 to1 or 1 to 1?

19. mister Bill

mister Bill

The hardener was left over from a 2017 purchase, mixed it with hardener from Sept 2018. I used the old hardener a couple of months ago, maybe it was mixing the two together that was the problem.

20. mister Bill

mister Bill

1 to 1.

21. There is yer problem.

22. I told my teacher she has a lumpy butt

23. 48 Indian Rag

48 Indian Rag
    from conn

There are at least three things that shouldn't have lumps Beer, Paint, and Farts.

24. mister Bill

mister Bill

Any suggestions? 80 grit on the da is taking some of it off, going to be pretty hard go get it completely cleaned off. The paint is still pretty soft.

25. Will it strip off with a razor blade? If not your best bet will be paint stripper.

The37Kid likes this.
  26. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Looks to me like it's not dry. The OP only did a FEW things wrong.:)