Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration TRADITIONAL Hot Rod & Custom CHRISTMAS Greeting Cards, Ads, & other Artwork

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HEMI32, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

2. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Love this thread every year. But Jeff, if we're all very good in 2020, can we see Santa again on next years cover please? Love your artwork!

EDIT: I've been corrected by PoTaToTruck... Santa is on the roof. But he's not prominent. He needs to be the main character!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2019
    HEMI32, Bowtie Coupe and DBruce like this.
  3. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

4. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

In 1965, I was getting antsy to get home for Christmas from a long year in college. I had gone to Fremont Drag Strip to see if I could get something going again, after a long layoff from drag racing activities. So, one late night, instead of studying for winter finals, I started to draw hot rods and motors. Just to see if there was any interest. Since we always liked our first purchase of a Model A Coupe, I decided to draw a Model A Truck for “our” next project. Street gas coupe/sedan/truck was appropriate in fender-less mode, so that cut the weight down somewhat.
    upload_2019-12-14_3-27-18.png
    The truck would have to be extended somewhat as the 10% set back rule would certainly be in this build. Both my brother and I sat inside our original Model A Coupe and needed about 6-8 inches to be comfortable driving and racing. Seats would be modified first. If fenders were required, those would be added, too.

Jnaki

As adults, we have been making these pop up cards for all occasions for 30+ years, if we cannot find a commercial card that fit the needs. It is fun to make, takes a few extra minutes and creates a surprise for the little toddlers and pre-teen girls/boys. Even the older teens always like pop up cards. (memories of those ever present pop up books from countless hours of reading…) Add in your own printing and photographs, color them or used colored card stock. Card stock is always better than construction paper,too.

It takes a few minutes if planned out, but the results are worth the smiles on their faces… “You made this?” always goes over big at family functions.

If you have a long Christmas card list, get started as it does take sometime to properly finish each card. An orderly assembly line like those old factory car assembly line photos makes everything go a lot smoother without any problems. Set out each step, the photos, the printing/writing area and final assembly area. If your design is finished, a custom envelope is necessary as you can make the size as large or as small as you want. The envelope can also be large or small depending on your actual card.
    upload_2019-12-14_3-28-20.png upload_2019-12-14_3-28-32.png
    To leave a hint as to what comes next for Christmas 2019, a chopped version is on the Christmas List.
    upload_2019-12-14_3-29-20.png upload_2019-12-14_3-29-38.png
    As the card is opened, the new 2019 version is popped up showing what you want on your Christmas list. Then, color or use colored card stock for the whole finished project.
    upload_2019-12-14_3-29-58.png upload_2019-12-14_3-30-40.png
    In the extra space, you can add in your own information or comments. (Merry Christmas) If your family is into those long "family" information letters, they can be folded and placed here loose or with a tab of tape.
    upload_2019-12-14_3-30-54.png
    A custom folding envelope for your special, handmade Christmas Card. You can enlarge or decrease the size of the envelope to fit the size and type of your custom card.

5. Love the card, thanks for sharing it!
    Merry Christmas!

6. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,
    Sorry, I was in a hurry to get the card out to everyone, so I accidentally left off three steps before the photos or drawings begin.
    upload_2019-12-14_16-58-3.png The cut lines are done with an X-acto knife on the dotted lines. The fold lines are done, so the card will fold flat, moving the pop out photo and brace down inside of the finished flattened card.
    upload_2019-12-14_16-58-21.png
    upload_2019-12-14_16-58-47.png
    upload_2019-12-14_17-2-4.png Then this step comes into play. Add in your photos, drawings and notes/lettering, etc. The rest of the steps are the details from your ideas and stash. (Including your custom-made envelope.)

Jnaki

Have fun...

7. Some of @Rikster's Christmas artwork that has yet to be posted:

2019 - Rik Hoving Christmas Art (1).jpg
    2019 - Rik Hoving Christmas Art (2).jpg
    2019 - Rik Hoving Christmas Art (3).jpg
    2019 - Rik Hoving Christmas Art (4).jpg
    2019 - Rik Hoving Christmas Art (5).jpg
    2019 - Rik Hoving Christmas Art (6).jpg
    2019 - Rik Hoving Christmas Art (7).jpg
    2019 - Rik Hoving Christmas Art (8).jpg
    2019 - Rik Hoving Christmas Art (9).jpg
    2019 - Rik Hoving Christmas Art (Don Carroll).jpg
    2019 - Rik Hoving Christmas Art (Walt Leeman).jpg

Last edited: Dec 22, 2019
    Dave Mc, Deuces, Bowtie Coupe and 4 others like this.
  8. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. ^^^^^^Love it^^^:)

Deuces, Bowtie Coupe and Stogy like this.
  10. alfin32

alfin32
    Member Emeritus
    from Essex, Ma.

image.jpeg image.jpeg Putting up the ornaments, some hand made dough ones that are over 30 years old.

Dave Mc, Jigger, HJmaniac and 3 others like this.
  11. ...I drew up this New Year's card, sending it out to all HAMBers...
    woodart 2019 663.jpg

Torkwrench, Dave Mc, Jigger and 6 others like this.

12. 2 0 2 0

Time again for the annual bump of this thread! ... Here's the cover artwork (photo) for this years @TRJ Holiday Catalog:

TRJ 2020 Holiday Catalog Cover Photo.jpg

mario711, Dave Mc, LAROKE and 9 others like this.
  13. Yeah ... I know that I typically bump this thread each year with @Jeff Norwell's artwork for the cover of the DEC 2020 / JAN 2021 issue of CANADIAN HOT RODS magazine ... but this years cover features a slammed 1970 Dodge Pickup (i.e., the CHR shop truck) ... and I would hate for one of the "moderators" to shut this thread down for yet another O/T post :rolleyes: :D

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021
    wackdaddy, Stogy, BrerHair and 2 others like this.
  14. 1db6d85d-9ef0-4275-b0e3-6ec3032e1a26.jpg funny-christmas-card-santa-gets-a-flat.jpg Rambler_Xmas_Card_2a4web_zpsta9h3fgh.jpg

Stolen from the HAMB through the years.:D

Dave Mc, chryslerfan55, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  15. Most likely "stolen" from this thread ...
    ... but no worries, there's nothing wrong with a couple of reposts!

16. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

17. I wonder if it was this one? ...

Von Franco Christmas Card.jpg
    "Santa Fink Christmas List" by @Von Franco

chryslerfan55, Deuces, Jigger and 3 others like this.
  18. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

19. ...I guess this year did blow up just like my sketch!
    upload_2020-11-29_11-16-47.jpeg

chryslerfan55, Deuces, DBruce and 5 others like this.
  20. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

21. been a couple years since I've posted anything new and I'll try to get a new one up this year, before Christmas... In the mean time, you know Santa has a little help keeping an 'eye' on the kiddies...
    "He Sees You!"
    He_Sees_You-Web.jpg

chryslerfan55, Deuces, D type and 2 others like this.
  22. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2020-11-30_4-10-14.png
    upload_2020-11-30_4-10-29.png
    Last year, I suggested this project for a custom greeting card for the holidays. But, this year with more time on our locked in place, work from home pandemic hands, it is time to get started making them for family and friends.

Hello,

Great thread… Christmas is almost 4 weeks away. So, time to get creative and start making your own cards. It is a perfect way to avoid the pandemic and get a cool project done inside of your own office or workplace. While there is still time and no need to fight anyone inside of a gift store, make your own project and you will have completed something that everyone appreciates. Opening up the standard Christmas card is becoming a little boring. If it weren’t for the stack of cards from our friends and extended family on a card tree, they would have seen the dark depths of the trash can. “One card looks like the other and no one is doing their own thing…” to paraphrase Sesame Street.

The project is rather simple and works every time. Where the red 29 Model A pickup truck is glued on, place any photo on thicker card stock for the best results. When the card folds, the glued on photo or print folds flat. The best results will come from a card thickness print paper. Get the thickest printing photo paper possible or any thick card stock.
    upload_2020-11-30_4-13-57.png It would be a natural to send a custom card to a friend that works at Hobie Surfboards, with a little touch of personalizing. If you have saved your Friday Art drawings, the digital copy is ready to print directly onto a thick card stock for the image. There would be approximately 44 drawings to choose from for this year's card.
    upload_2020-11-30_4-18-18.png For those that don’t draw, an in focus color photo will be just as nice. For all photo prints on the card stock paper, print various copies and sizes to see which one is the best version. I try to make the image just a little short of the side edges, so when the card is closed, the photo stays inside of the edge. Personal photographs are much better than copied internet photos. (but, some are good for sample projects) Our family loves old photos that get discovered throughout the year from old garage/attic boxes, etc.
    upload_2020-11-30_4-20-49.png

This 1933 Chevy Sedan and wagon is a wide print, but re-size the print and it can still fit on a normal 8x10 card stock position.
    upload_2020-11-30_4-21-30.png
    I made this card for our granddaughter’s Valentine Day surprise. Her favorite Ford, hand drawn, convertible was printed on the card stock. Because it was red, it fit right into the theme of Valentine’s Day. The colorful heart in the top fold, pops out when the card is opened, for a little added customization. (Angled, folded paper with some strength will fit neatly inside of the closed card. Check out the size for the pop out effect...) YRMV

For the Christmas holidays, it could be a green tree that pops out or a photo of the granddaughter/grandson. Personalize to your tastes.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2020
    Bowtie Coupe, Stogy, Dave Mc and 3 others like this.
  23. Here's one by Jim Wright:

Merry Christmas - Decker the Bulldog in Model A Pickup (by Jim Wright).jpg

Stogy, Dave Mc, Jigger and 4 others like this.
  24. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

25. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

26. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland

27. moparboy440

moparboy440
    from Finland