Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 216-235 swap

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jason Cannata, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Jason Cannata

Jason Cannata

I have a 1950 Chevy convertible all original with stock 216, 3spd, 6 volt, and 3.55 rear closed torque tube. I have a line on a 53 Chevy 235 with powerglide and 12 volt. I’m wondering if this swap is going to be worth my time and energy. At the end of the day if I do the swap it would still be a closed driveline. Would be nice to have a automatic trans Though.
    Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. I have a 1950 3100 Chevy and my opinion (you know what those are like!) would be if you’re going to swap, use a 235 with full pressure lubrication. I’m not sure what year this started. If I ever did my truck, this is what I would do.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

@Jason Cannata .....you have two threads running on the same topic......confusing and unnecessary.
    You can delete one and simplify the process. Use the 'delete' button on the bottom of the original post if you wish to do that.

Ray

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

53 Powerglide engine "should" be a pressure oiler engine. Side cover will only cover the side of the block and not up on the side of the head like the 216 side cover does.
    As far as the automatic goes that all depends on your wants and needs out of the car. If you are doing low and slow it might be easier than battling a clutch but expect to loose some performance and gas mileage. I rode a lot of miles in my grand parents 54 Chevy with 235 glide and a lot of miles in my cousin's 53 with 235 glide.

5. southcross2631

southcross2631

I would put the 235 in , but keep the 3 speed stick. The p/g cars were real turds from a dead stop.
    Did my 51 hardtop with a 54 235 after my brother rolled my mom's 54. Before I scored a GMC to replace the 235.

6. We put a 235 in @Austin kays ' '49 sedan. easy swap. Was it worth it? Well the 235 doesn't run well but that is probably because I didn't tune it right. LOL

The deal is if the 235 is a good motor it is little more than changing motors and yes worth it. if the 235 isn't a good motor it is a total waste of time.

7. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

For 1953 models I believe both stick and automatic got 235 engines. The difference being, as I recall, the stick shift were dipper system/low pressure lubrication. Basically, it was the ‘50/‘52 Powerglide engine with manual trans. The Powerglide version got the full pressure system with insert bearings.

I, too, had a ‘51 Bel Air hardtop with 235/PG. it was in the ‘60/‘61 era when I was in High School.

1950/‘51 Powerglides were doggy in Drive because they started in high gear. If the driver wanted Low, the trans had to be shifted to Lo, then manually upshifted to Drive (Hi).

For 1952 and subsequent models, the the PG was setup to start in Lo and self shift to Hi.
    Though still not a ball of fire by modern standards, they were noticeably peppier in that configuration.

Ray

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
  8. Hellfish

Hellfish

What little performance gains you earn will be more than made up for in losses from adding an automatic

9. donsz

donsz

Why not install a 261 instead, same footprint as a 235. I was very happy with the one I had,.All
    the 235 parts fit, the 848 head is almost a replacement (need to drill coolant holes), and 2 carbs
    with a dual exhaust made it a strong runner, easy to work on & get parts and "in my mind" a
    better investment. Also, it is a bit unique. However, a 235 is still a great engine and an excellent choice.
    don

Truckdoctor Andy likes this.