Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods How much weight will wire wheels support??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 28ModelA, Dec 9, 2019.

1. 28ModelA

28ModelA

I have a 28 Model A, that has a blown big block with steelies and bias tires up front. I want to switch to Model A wire rims and tires. I'll have to run a support plate and spacer to change bolt pattern to fit. Has anyone done this or do you think the wire rims will support the weight of the big block????

2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Apparently quite a lot of weight
    upload_2019-12-9_14-34-8.png

Texas Webb likes this.
  3. alchemy

alchemy

A blown big block, with stock Model A wires. Can I ask what style you are going for?

4. 28ModelA

28ModelA

I love the look of the tall skinny tires, seen a few cars with them and have always wanted some.

5. Jokester

Jokester

A better question might be how much torque can wire wheels withstand.

.bjb

SR100, G-son, Never2low and 3 others like this.
  6. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

Its not so much the static weight, but the bending, cornering, and braking loads, and how long you expect to keep it up between wheel rebuilds.

Not trying to be a smart ass, but is to just to look at (as in a show car) or are you planning to really use that blown big block in anger ?

Hnstray and Just Gary like this.
  7. 28ModelA

28ModelA

Just want them on the front, the tears I want to keep the steelies.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

You might consider a modern wire wheel / repop with more and heavier spokes. Remember too, that wires went away in favor of solid wheels because they just aren't that strong especially road racing on high speed roads. Ifn just a drag car, you might get away with them. Safety first, as they say.

Hnstray and nunattax like this.
  9. 28ModelA

28ModelA

I just want them on the front, but I never thought about the cornering and breaking. I drive the car a lot, its definitely not a show car. Appreciate the feedback, definitely dont want one to break during an "angry" burnout. ;)

10. Warpspeed

Warpspeed

You might be surprised that braking torque can be as high or even higher than torque at the back. If you don't believe that, check acceleration time to 100Mph, against braking time 100Mph to zero. Almost anything can brake harder than it accelerates.

Slingshot dragsters get away with it because there is very little weight at the front, and usually no front brakes anyway.

But if its a typical street rod, there is going to be a lot of weight at the front, which gets even heavier as you dive under brakes. And then there is braking torque on top of that. You really do need really strong wheels at the front, even if they are skinny.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    G-son, Hnstray and nunattax like this.
  11. Well, they never collapsed in my old Model A when my wife rode in it.....

wraymen, redo32, Bandit Billy and 3 others like this.
  12. 28ModelA

28ModelA

Thanks for all the feedback really appreciate it!

13. nunattax

nunattax
    from IRELAND

HA HA !

14. Tickety Boo

Tickety Boo
    from Wisconsin

Is a Flathead V8 heavier than a big block :rolleyes:

15. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

I'd be afraid that when and if a quick evasive turn had to be made the wheel would collapse causing the car to do a perowet on whats left..I suppose you could put them on and make some tests?

16. rusty valley

rusty valley

19's are stronger than the earlier 21's , but i think you are loosing proportion, it will look like those chinese women who had they're feet bound up

irishsteve likes this.
  17. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Bound up Chinese women you say? Hmmm

18. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Ex-Lax fix 'em.

19. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Well you went off in an even odder direction:)

20. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

This stock looking 34 3W has a 900hp BBC under the hood and wires however I think he swapped the rears out for this!;)
    upload_2019-12-10_14-18-36.png

alfin32 and Texas Webb like this.
  21. Hes running orange crush on that side.

22. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

You better hope your wife doesn't see your reply!!! LOL

23. gene-koning

gene-koning

Years ago I had a friend that had a modern set of wire wheels on his T bucket. One day he and his wife took a trip through a ditch when one of the wheels failed while driving down the highway. Luckily no one was hurt.

The wires might be OK with a trailer queen, but not on something used on the highways, as far as I'm concerned. Gene

24. Desmodromic

Desmodromic

Acceleration typically results from the torque applied to two wheels. Braking has the benefit of the participation of two additional wheels, so comparison of acceleration vs. deceleration times is not indicative of much.

Most of our cars can spin the rear tires under acceleration, or lock them up in braking, which limits the wheel torque to more or less the same value either way; actually a bit higher in acceleration, due to weight transfer. Front wheels of course, see only braking torque.

Virtually all pre-war racing cars used wire wheels, some very heavy behemoths (Duesenbergs, Bentleys, Mercedes and Auto Union grand prix cars). Same old story, if designed right, it will work.

I suppose there are suppliers of new Model A style wire wheels. Ask them what their recommended loads are (vertical, transverse and torque), vs. their solid steel wheels. (This may be a futile exercise!)

nunattax likes this.
  25. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

Related, are tires available to fit Model A rims that are made for modern highway speeds? I mean like 75 mph?
    I know way back guys drove their hop ups and gow jobs that fast on the tires of the day.

nunattax likes this.