Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Goodbye Magazines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vonn Ditch, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

2. fuzzface

fuzzface

By year end. Boy, glad I didn't renew when I got a letter last month. I would have but I still had like another year coming. Pretty sad trying to trick people into giving them money for a subscription they won't get.

chryslerfan55 and maneri like this.
  3. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I just subscribed to Street Rodder about 6 months ago. I subscribed for years but stopped because it had turned to a POS saw a copy and liked how it had changed to my liking. I got a letter a couple of weeks ago wanting me to renew which I didn’t. Boy I’m glad that I didn’t now. It’s too bad to see so many names leaving

Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
    chryslerfan55 and my2nd40 like this.
  4. jeepster

jeepster
    from wisconsin

It just blows my mind as to how many lives this effects.
    No need for printing company employees, paper suppliers, ink suppliers, truck drivers, printing press mfg.....The list is endless. We have all been pushed to become slaves to the electronic media. A media that is not always dependable.
    There was something about print media that was like a pleasant surprise when it arrived...….will be missed.

5. I quit buying magazines years ago. over half was advertising or some crap only gold chainers could afford. The last magazine I subscribed to was Cars & Parts way back in 2000.

stillrunners and arkiehotrods like this.
  6. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

7. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Kind of a shame. Even in this digital age where information is available at the push of your computers button always enjoyed holding the actual magazine. I grew up in the age where you actually looked forward to the postman bringing the latest addition and always kept old editions for reference. Also miss newspapers and sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of coffee before going to work and finding out what was happening in the world. Unfortunately papers quit reporting the news and became nothing but opinions most times not to my liking. In my area the daily paper became three times a week and the price kept going up for two day old news. I guess magazines have become dinosaurs in the age of instance gratification for people who no longer enjoy reading or for that matter have the ability to read.

bedwards and chryslerfan55 like this.
  8. Yes they are out of work. However what did tangible thing they produce that adds to the GDP? The hard fact is they where doing parasite work. We have far too many Parasite Takers and far too few Producing Makers. That is never long term sustainable. Like it or not if whatever you do for money does not use the natural resources of the Planet to make ,build & grow some tangible thing that adds to the GDP &GNP if your not a vital link in that chain of production your work is Parasitic. Too many parasites will weaken and many times kill the host.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  9. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

Deuces and chryslerfan55 like this.
  10. fuzzface

fuzzface

Just heard we lost another freight trucking co. Celadon is filing for bankruptcy. 3200 drives might be affected and some are left on their own to get home. fuel cards are turned off, etc.

The world is changing. everybody keeps cutting each other then working together and before you know it they are all upside down because no one is making a dime anymore, just robbing peter to pay paul until they run out of tricks.

the internet is really changing the world but I am not sure if it is for the better though.

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Lots of them are printed overseas ever since you send the material thru the computer. Mags also carry a 3 month lag time, and that's a problem with people who want it now. I grew up reading mags for all my drag race info, sad part by the time I bought the issue the car either had crashed, changed, sold,obsoleted by a new one

Old wolf likes this.
  12. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks for link - most of this covered in another current thread here - be sure to read Ryan's latest thread on this - also, be sure to support THE RODDER'S JOURNAL, that is having a 25% off everything Sale

catdad49 likes this.
  13. Mr T body

Mr T body
    Alliance Vendor
    from BHC AZ

And the new norm is part-time workers at Amazon packing over-priced items to ship to other part-time Amazon packers. Full time, full benefit employment is long gone as experience is ridiculed by the "woke".
    Said it before and I'll say it again..... I'm not going to come out and fight a war millenials and Gen-Xers create because their not as bright as they thought they were.

egads and Deuces like this.
  14. fuzzface

fuzzface

Perfect timing here. I just got my Street Rodder in the mail today, Feb. 2020 issue but the bad part is I thought I was paid up for a year but I looked at the label and I am paid up until Apr. of 2021.

15. ClarkH

ClarkH
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Frankly, I’m impressed by any print publication that still has a working business model. I was a magazine editor for many years; two decades ago, I saw the handwriting on the wall and switched to electronic media.

Yes, there are those who still appreciate the tangible aspect of a book or magazine. But most users prefer searchable content that does not need to be physically stored.

In the end, however, print is dying for the same reason so many car parts are manufactured offshore: The vast majority of consumers gravitate to the cheapest product.

williebill likes this.
  16. hudson48

hudson48

I was still buying Street Rodder off the stand here and the new format was good. Hot Rod Deluxe was one of my favourites also off the stand here. What a shame they are gone.

Surfcityrocker likes this.
  17. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I guess I will not have much to read when my wife drops me off at Barnes and Noble while she shops at Target.

tractorguy likes this.
  18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pretty damned easy to see why they quit printing them when on every thread about it there are as many posts saying (Must be one of those cool guys do this things) that as many haven't bought an issue for years as those who actually will miss the magazines.
    Still for most of us here Street Rodder just didn't cover the style of cars we like for the most part. The concept of show feature cars that have the hot lick parts that the advertisers are selling be it wheels, tires or engine accessories misses our interests when rather than billet valve covers or coil covers we are hunting for 60 year old cast aluminum valve covers that we can clean up and use. We often pay as much or more for an item but it is not the new hot lick item that we buy.

19. manyolcars

manyolcars

Way over half.I stopped subscribing the day I counted 187 pages of ads and 84 pages of cars.I say good riddance. They should have been paying us to look at their magazines

20. 31 Chopped Coupe

31 Chopped Coupe

This really pisses me off. About 3-4 months ago I re-upped my subscription to Street Rodder and the only reason that I was subscribed to it was that is what they switched my Rod and Custom sub to when they shut it down. To make matters worse just last week they sent me an offer to extend my sub for two more years, thankfully I didn't bite on that. So now I will no longer get Street Rodder, no more Hot Rod Deluxe, and no JP. Didn't really like Street Rodder all that much, it was geared more towards the More Money Than Brains crowd. Sure do miss Rod and Custom. Now they will probably switch me to Hot Rod whether I like it or not, Oh Boy!!! I just liked to have a printed magazine to read and fall asleep to and once in awhile there might be some useful info. Just Venting.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  21. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Three threads on this topic? I say amalgamate and toss the two weakest. After that merge the thread with something totally unrelated!

egads likes this.
  22. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

shopping last night , went to the newsstand and pulled a CarCraft $6.99+tx for 66 total pages and mostly advertisement.

DIYGUY likes this.
  23. DIYGUY

DIYGUY
    from West, TX

^^^^^ That’s why I quit !

24. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

We are headed down a slippery slope. We are putting so many people out of work with all these automated systems and the Harvard Business School Model of eliminating actual people performing work. This thinking and action is way out of hand. We need to reverse this trend before we have no meaningful work for our people to do. There is too much greed and short term profit taking instead of putting equity back into these companies. And these driverless cars, have you every ask who wants these things? Who's pushing this technology

25. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Whatever they are, they sure as hell aren't "driverless", somebody is driving them, or programming the software etc.

Print media as we knew it is dead, stick a fork in it. It died a long time ago. It sucks, but things change.

26. On Wall Street and at the Harvard Business School, enhanced investor valve is the only thing that matters. Everything and everyone else is irrelevant.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
    lothiandon1940 likes this.
  27. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I only recently started reading Hot Rod Deluxe and really enjoyed it. I was an advertiser in R&C and Street Rodder for many years until they priced themselves out of my world. We need to support Rodder's Journal to keep them going although they seem to be having some problems shipping items ordered several months ago. (Calendars and T shirts)

pprather and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. seb fontana likes this.