Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical pan gasket rear main seal

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Ron Brown, Nov 30, 2019.

1. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

for you SBC guys....who has the best oil pan gasket and rear main seals....need to replace on one of my engines and dont want to do it twice, lol. thx guys

2. Always had good luck with felpro products.

make sure your pan is clean and straight and have at her

I like using a little bit of anerobic sealer on the outside of the rear main so it seals against the block surface.

oil pan gaskets sometimes I’ll use rtv sometimes no, depends on how I feel.

3. squirrel

squirrel

I've been using the one piece Fel Pro pan gaskets for a while now, they work pretty well. Only a dab of sealer in the corners, where the block meets the cover/cap.

For the rear seal, two piece, I like to offset the parting line about 1/4" from the block/cap parting line, and use no sealer on the seal itself. But I do use Permatex Aviation sealer between the block and cap.

It usually works. If the crank has a groove, there is an offset seal available.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  4. wayne-o

wayne-o

^^X2 on the one piece Felpro pan gaskets. Expensive but reusable.

lothiandon1940 likes this.

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Especially when changing in the frame, the Fel Pro one piece is a real help in doing the job right.
    But before you go buy it and get sealer all over it, making it unreturnable, be sure you get the one that matches your timing chain cover, as there are 2 different thicknesses of front seals to match the 2 different timing chain covers.

HemiDeuce and X-cpe like this.