Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration A cool roadside attraction!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Funkhouser, Jan 1, 2018.

1. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-11-30_15-37-29.png Today, 113019 from the coast
    upload_2019-11-30_15-38-26.png 2018 from Santa Margarita

Hello,

We have mentioned and read about the hot rod cruises and drives in So Cal organized by @Blues4U . This cool attraction (the Great Park in Irvine) is a two fold destination. So far, it has the best view of the local Santiago Peak (official name) snowy areas and also, has the best 360 degree view of the mountains to the ocean and beyond. The clarity of the surrounding So Cal area is shown in a 360 view, including the Saddleback Peak (local name). Today, the view would show the snow all the way past downtown LA to the San Fernando Valley to the Northwest and the San Diego mountain ranges to the Southeast.

We don’t get much snow in So Cal, so when it does snow locally, it is a cool attraction. The larger San Bernardino Mountain Range (Big Bear ) closer the the deserts, is now packed full of 4 feet of snow from this last cold rain/snow storm.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...pen-topless-cars.1124974/page-5#post-13344542

So, the view from this advantage photo spot would look similar to the one I took many years ago.

Jnaki
    upload_2019-11-30_15-39-30.png the dirt road looking from Trabuco Canyon Road…

For the drive, it is accessible from any major highway or freeway. In the old days, the drive on the dirt road to the start of the hiking trails was the last “off the paved roads” for the public. But, the hike to the top is not for the out of shape or casual walker. So be forewarned, if you can one day get up there.

If there is one last place in Orange County to see the snow on the local 35 minute drive from the coast is the Orange County Great Park, the former El Toro Marine Base. This huge park will one day be like a big green open space in the middle of suburbia. Currently, it is still being planned and developed slowly.

So, for now, one of the best 360 degree views of snow from the local mountains is from the Orange County Great Park Balloon Ride. No, it will not fly away to New Mexico…it is tethered to the ground. For So Cal hot rod road trips, finish at the Orange County Great Park for one final rest and relaxation before heading to the coast or back home.
    upload_2019-11-30_15-40-34.png

2. { JNAKI }The Orange county Balloon looks just like a big orange. I'm sure it has some great views. A trip in a hot air balloon is the best way to see Virginia's Shenandoah valley too. My brother gives hot air balloon rides here in the valley. I'll chase, and crew for him. Ron..... 20170523_071326.jpg {FLATRED53} I like the picture of the big Octapussy. We have one on the east coast also. 20171013_124148.jpg I'm suprised there's even one, much less two of them. lol Ron....

3. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-12-2_8-4-40.png

Ron,

As nice as snow is in So Cal, it is one of those things that you see and become impressed. If you blink, it is melting and soon will be history. Despite the awe when it was snowing or shows mountain peaks with snow, it does go away fast. The local Saddleback Mountain Peak (Santiago Peak) gets snow at 5,000 ft level. Some places got snow down to 3000 ft. But, those areas and Saddleback Peak started disappearing the very next day with the sun shining everywhere and the temps up to the high 60s.
    upload_2019-12-2_8-5-45.png 113019 from the coast at 6:00 am
    upload_2019-12-2_8-6-19.png 120119 from the coast at 6:00 am

(Today, 120219, the snow is virtually non-existant)

So, the timing to go visit the Great Park in Irvine for those outstanding views needs to be scheduled for those quick glimpses and hope that it stays cold enough to be a “cool attraction” in So Cal.

“The Great Park Balloon is one of the largest tethered helium (not hot air) balloons and the first of its kind in the United States. Flying at an altitude up to 400 feet, it is always tethered to the ground by a steel cable with the strength of 99,000 pounds, making it a safe and fun experience for everyone.”

Next to the tethered "Big Orange" is the long standing, ornate carousel that used to be in the front courtyard of the Macy's South West end of the outdoor mall. It is another So Cal icon that has found a nice home for the future and some OC history for a cool attraction.
    upload_2019-12-2_8-8-20.png Bought, shipped, and installed at the Great Park from the Coast Highway location of Newport Beach Fashion Island Shopping Center.

“A visit to the Orange County Great Park wouldn’t be complete without a ride on the Great Park Carousel, which features hand-painted artwork inspired by vintage orange crate labels as well as Orange County scenes.”

Jnaki

Help is on the way with a couple of more storms and fast dropping temperatures. At the local big mountains of San Gabriel/San Bernardino Mountain range, the snow is so thick and high that roads were closed for access to the ski areas. They were cleared, but the next storm coming may do the same. We on the coast, 2 hours away, are waiting the pelting of rain that always hits the coast and then blasts the inland areas.

Snow has always been an awesome event in So Cal as long as we have been around. It is a rare sight where we grew up, but inland in the mountain areas, their experiences are quite different in that part of So Cal. We can just see it covering the wide horizon and feel the cold air as our experiences allow. Most of the time, it is sunny and mild weather during the year. Kudos to you guys/girls enduring the snow for months at a time. That is something rare for us, but would be a big event if it did.

Stogy, Lil32, Jalopy Joker and 3 others like this.
  4. A local one, Mount Utsayantha (Un-See-Antha) in Stamford NY 3,214 ft

Named for an Indian Princess.
    The legend goes her warrior boyfriend was killed in battle, his death so saddened princess Utsayantha she climbed to the top and jumped into Utsayantha Lake and drown.
    The yellow arrow is Mount Utsayantha the red arrow is Utsayantha Lake.
    upload_2019-12-5_16-19-42.png
    upload_2019-12-5_12-9-29.png upload_2019-12-5_12-9-52.png upload_2019-12-5_12-10-35.png

Somewhere between 1962 to 1964 the S.C.C.A. held two hill climbs on Utsayantha.
    The Chrysler/Plymouth (now the Stamford Gym) dealer's parking lot was used as the pits.
    My grandfather took my father and his two younger cousins.
    He remembers M.G.s, Triumphs, and some Porsches.
    However, as a 12 or 13-year-old the that stuck out was Rumble Guts the 3rd.
    A car with a homemade body and a 324 Olds engine.

upload_2019-12-5_12-17-51.png

Dodge/Plymouth Builder today

upload_2019-12-5_16-44-15.png

Utsayantha Mountain road
    upload_2019-12-5_16-45-50.png upload_2019-12-5_16-49-15.png

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    Stogy, Lil32, TFoch and 4 others like this.
  5. Last edited: Dec 9, 2019
  6. I guess I should have added a photo. So here's one that I spotted, and thought of you Sam.( rusty1) 20191114_190721.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G920P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Stogy, TFoch, Jalopy Joker and 6 others like this.
  7. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-12-31_4-29-9.png upload_2019-12-31_4-29-18.png
    Hello,

Julian is an old town located in the Cuyumaca Mountains of inland San Diego County. It is a small country town with historic buildings and plenty of local farms and ranches along the route to and from the entrances.
    upload_2019-12-31_4-30-19.png
    It is famous for its surrounding areas that offer YOU PICK APPLES at various ranches and farms. The first time was an eye opener. It was a cruise in the 40 Ford Sedan Delivery. It was a winding road (78) to get there and the 79, plus Sunrise Highway to get near the top of the mountain range and then back to the coastline.

By the time our son was around 3-4, he was an apple juice fanatic. We squeezed fresh apples at home, ate them fresh and my wife sometimes made delicious apple pie. So, we packed up the family and took my wife’s car on the same winding road to and from the town of Julian. Our goal was to get to a You Pick ranch and load up the trunk with flats of fresh apples. The problem with visiting Julian is that there are so many cool restaurants and pie shops. We had a nice tour, saw a real apple press, bought some fresh squeezed apple juice and had a delicious lunch, INCLUDING APPLE PIE !
    upload_2019-12-31_4-30-56.png
    By the time we were heading for the You Pick ranches, our son had fallen asleep for his afternoon nap.

It was a long, but quiet drive home. But, we did get a trunk full of fresh apples for our home stash. The road is winding and the scenery is typical mountain style. It is almost 70 miles inland from the coast. It takes about an hour and 30 minutes with no traffic. On the weekends, there is the normal Westcoast tourist traffic, so be prepared for longer drive times. The scenery makes up for being stuck behind a big RV or camper.

Jnaki

In the winter months, since Julian is at the 4000 foot elevation, it does get snow. So timing the drive and months of the year may bring on a different outlook on the drive and destination… but no apple picking as the season is over in October.

Over the years of So Cal hot rodding, there have been many hot rod road events ending up in Julian or through Julian. It is the mountain scenery and COOL ATTRACTION, that makes the road trip fun and exciting. Next time, it will be the bed and breakfast stay over for something different.

But, definitely the road trip back home to the OC, will go through the Cuyumaca State Park and lake area to the coast. (and La Jolla) We have been on that coastal road many times from La Jolla homeward. It is a great bypass for the traffic jam on the I-5 freeway and the views are so much nicer. The small beach towns just have that laid back feeling that exemplifies So Cal living. The coastal cruise in San Diego County is definitely worth it. The whole area is a COOL ATTRACTION, but the drive to old town, Julian is worth the road trip and destination.

8. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Porter sculpture park, Montrose South Dakota, worlds largest bulls head made out of rail road plate. I-90, definitely worth your time to go see all of the cool pieces of artwork ( sculpture ) in the large field.

47210008.jpg

Stogy, Lil32, TFoch and 5 others like this.
  9. Ron Bouchard museum Fithcburg Mass. Ron was a great NASCAR modified racer, his wife was the daughter the the great Steady Eddie Flamike

Ron has one win in NASCAR Wnston cup at Talladega the winning is on display
    Funny story Ron's father was watching the race on T.V. something happened the video and sound went dead on the whole east coast just before Ron made the pass. Ron's father was so mad he kicked the screen out of the family T.V.!

He then called C.B.S. and raised holy hell with them over it, C.B.S. sent he a new T.V. with a plaque.
    My father and I went to museum we talked to Paula Bouchard (Ron's Widow) for several hours.
    We asked about the T.V. she said it was in the showroom of Ron Bouchard Chevrolet of the longest time, but once it failed they threw it out. She said they wished they had it now.

upload_2019-12-31_8-3-12.png upload_2019-12-31_8-3-32.png upload_2019-12-31_8-4-34.png upload_2019-12-31_8-4-59.png

Last edited: Jan 1, 2020
  10. connielu

connielu
    1. A-D Truckers

My best road trip memories involve Route 99 in the Central Valley of Ca. Back in the late 60s a lot of it stiil went through towns and there were still lots of neon and roadside oddities. We would make the trip from Modesto down to San Berdo and LA to visit family every couple of years, Dad knew all the good places to eat and such as he was a truck driver. Milts in Bakersfield stands out, I believe it is still there. Mammoth Orange stands were a treat too, ice cold juice and a burger as big as a Pontiac hubcap. One of my best memories is my mom waking me up very late at night to see the red taillight "parade" headed up five mile ( Grapevine, first pull out of the valley).

Sent from my SM-G965U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

11. This one is for you Ron...

triangle.jpg

A/GAS, Bowtie Coupe, 40two and 7 others like this.
  12. ...............and what it looked like in the 50's. Obviously before my time.:D;) 293940_10150364256853401_1259257555_n.jpg

A/GAS, Bowtie Coupe, 40two and 9 others like this.
  14. Mike

Mike

15. Ryans65

Ryans65
    from Yulee FL

As a former Winchester resident this made me laugh. A lot of excitement around the triangle diner reopening only to have it sit there for another decade. Oh well, at least it still looks good and papermill place's breakfast was better anyways!

16. Ron,

Did you ever frequent the S&S Speed Shop in Winchester?

17. Ryan..

Triangle Diner is s running joke in Winchester. Maybe next Apple Blossom? Next time you're up this way, have breakfast at Bonnie Blue. Across the street from the Amherst Diner.. They serve BBQ with eggs.

18. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

This is a American made 90 mm aircraft gun at Fort Rod Hill National Historic Park just about a mile from where I live.
    9F248224-D36E-4029-A1AE-682D84308E7E.jpeg
    C4FB49B3-881A-46C6-B8F4-7D9BC5B807EE.jpeg

19. Ryans65

Ryans65
    from Yulee FL

Oh yeah I remember maybe 15 years ago having breakfast there probably shortly before it closed. I lived in winchester nearly my whole life and have seen the city really transform....that damn diner just confuses me though! (well that and the house they tore down HALF of at the corner of S Braddock and W Leicester that somehow remains occupied!!)

Bonnie blue is fantastic also! Need another hole in my belt after that place though.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  20. Yes I did. Also the H&H Speed shop {Hover& Hamond}, and Ron's Speed Shop in Springfield too.

21. alphabet soup

alphabet soup
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Was just past Dinosaur Land a few months ago. Still seems to be open. My ex sister in law worked at the Catoctin Zoo in the '80's. When my brother was stationed at Fort Detrick in Frederick. I think it is still open also.

22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20190222_182531.jpg

:rolleyes:...Smiths Falls Water Tower...100 years old approximately and in decommissioning status a pretty notable thing in many an old town but this ones near me...

Smiths Falls Ontario Canada had a US connection with Hershey in Penna but that was dissolved through business decisions...My Gramps Worked there for many years and when we were up he used to bring home bags of broken Bars that didn't make the wrap...

For Years the Plant Sat empty and now the Chocolate is flowing again but it ain't your average Candy Bar by any means...:D

Anyhow...:rolleyes:...man that Stogy just goes on and on and on...:D

Happy New Year Traveling Hoodlums

Or is that Traveling Willbury's...;)

23. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_20180621_193624.jpg

:rolleyes:...The Former Hershey Plant in Smiths Falls were a New Flavor of Chocolate is now Flowing among other spiritual things...;)

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
  24. Brook's House of Bar-B-Q Oneonta NY about 35 miles west of me.

In 1958, the Brooks family began operation of a concession stand at the miniature golf and driving range connected with the Del-Se-Go Drive-In. (Del for Delaware county Se-Go for Otsego county)
    They leased land on Route 7, near the present location and built the first Brooks' House of Bar-B-Q Restaurant. This restaurant opened on June 10, 1961 with a seating capacity of 80 and approximately 15 staff.

In 1965, the Brooks family built the present restaurant, which has a seating capacity of 300 and the largest indoor charcoal barbecue pit (38 feet in length) in the East. During the peak of the summer season, 100+ people are employed at the restaurant as well as the catering business.

In 1975, Griffin and Frances sold the restaurant to their son John and his wife Joan. John graduated from Delhi Tech with a degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management and also served four years in the United States Air Force. The restaurant and catering business grew along with the growth of the colleges in the area.

In 2005 John and Joan sold the restaurant to their son Ryan and his wife Beth. Ryan grew up in the business and is a 1996 Restaurant Management graduate of RIT and Beth is a graduate of SUNY Oneonta. Ryan and Beth are proud to be the third generation to carry on the family business.

Unique to this part of the country a chicken half is soaked in a vinegar based marinade and slow roasted on charcoal grill.
    upload_2020-1-3_19-5-54.png upload_2020-1-3_19-6-49.png

upload_2020-1-3_18-48-8.png upload_2020-1-3_18-50-50.png upload_2020-1-3_18-52-16.png upload_2020-1-3_18-52-37.png
    upload_2020-1-3_19-1-24.png

In the late 50's early 60's Brook's sponsored Jimmy Mott at Mid-State speedway
    upload_2020-1-3_19-3-21.png upload_2020-1-3_19-4-7.png
    A clone of the Jimmy Mott car.
    upload_2020-1-3_19-4-42.png

Brook's is in the top left (Yellow box) you can often smell the chicken in the Wal-mart parking lot (Yellow Arrow)
    upload_2020-1-3_19-25-5.png

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Thanks Stogy - Traveling Hoodlums love listening to the Traveling Wilburys: Tom Petty, George Harrison, Roy Orbison, Bob Dylan, Jeff Lynne, Jim Keltner, Dhani Harrison - one group would have loved to have seen in person

26. 6sally6

6sally6

We usta be able to buy THE REAL M-80's and Silver Salutes! They were powerful enough to blow your fingers off...if you didn't get rid of them soon enough!! Awwwww Yeahhhhh........fun in the 50's!
    Letting 8 year olds throw fireworks equal to 1/4 stick of dynamite.....it was great.
    Would I let my children play with it?(IF it was still available??)
    HECK NO!!!!! "You'll-put-your-eye-out!":eek:
    6sally6

27. { CAD 61 } do you remember the old Comet Diner in Front Royal Va. ? I took this photo of my grandson, and less than a year later it was gone. Now there's a Popeyes restaurant where it once was. I really enjoy everyone's post. I wish that I could visit all of them. Robert that BBQ Chicken made me soo hungry. lol I also enjoyed the Ron Bouchard museum, and videos. I know where this 38 Ford sedan is sitting in a cow pasture. It would a make for a cool track car. I don't have the time or $ to do it. Also thanks Stogy, everyone else, for all your cool post too. Hope to see more in 2020. Ron.... 1256.jpg 2402.jpg

A/GAS, Bowtie Coupe, TFoch and 6 others like this.