Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 1953 Buick trans question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Oldkrow, Nov 29, 2019.

1. Oldkrow

Oldkrow

hey folks! got a question... do the 53 Buick transmission use a filter in the pan? i just bought a 53 special ht. it doesn't move...pulled the pan down, no filter?

2. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Go to Bing or Google search & type in 1953 Dynaflow Trans. it will give you all the info

Oldkrow likes this.
  3. Pretty sure there’s no filter.
    Just a screen.

Oldkrow likes this.
  4. Oldkrow

Oldkrow

Ok, so no extension tube either? Looks like i'm pulling this thing apart.

5. Oldkrow

Oldkrow

Thanks, guys!

6. Careful what you pull apart
    Don’t touch the servo cover or basically anything other then the pan
    Should have a drain on it
    Not for nothing get a service manual for the car.
    Will help in the long run

Hnstray likes this.
  7. leon bee

leon bee

No filter. An early 50s Motor Manual will tell you most all you need to know right now.

8. It should have a filter screen and I have only sold and seen one in the 42 years that I have been selling transmission parts. The P/N I had and sold to a customer in France this year for his 1953 Dynaflow was 1393842. It consisted of 7 pieces, screen, tube, bracket, spring etc. I took a picture of it before shipping it and here it is. IMG_1196.JPG IMG_1197.JPG Also, I don't know if the screen ever had a separate part number . Dave

chopped and Hnstray like this.
  9. According to the 1954 Motors Manual, the screen was never sold separately and 1393842 consisted of only 6 pieces. The other 5 pieces did have their own part number. The o'ring that is shown in my pictures above was not a part of the kit. Dave

10. Oldkrow

Oldkrow

Thanks for all the input, folks! Looking at the fluid, there is a ton of metal in the pan. I think they broke the pump-or who knows what-
    I think at this point Im going to put a 700r4 and 9" in this. Should work great with the fireball!