Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Would you sell your car to a friend?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by AldeanFan, Nov 27, 2019.

1. AldeanFan

AldeanFan

My father has a policy of not selling vehicles to anyone he knows or even to someone in town. Once he sells something he never wants to see it again.

I still have the old Convertible I drove to college. I don’t drive it much anymore. A good friend I hung around with in college remembers us cruising in that car and has offered to buy it. He lives a few provinces away so I agreed that when I was ready to sell it was his on the condition that we roadtrip it to his house together and that I get the option of buying it back if he ever decides to sell.
    Would you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

Sell with 10/10 warranty. 10 feet or 10 seconds from money exchange. I never had a problem with selling to someone I know. Just be honest about car and what it is. Any car could blowup the next day. Stress your selling as is, cut short any topic of issues with car if it comes up later.

Hnstray and WB69 like this.
  3. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In 1990, I sold my house to my best friend. A couple of years after that, he bought my '37 Chevy. We're still great friends.

Not too difficult - just treat him (or anyone else for that matter), like you'd like to be treated.

6inarow, Paul, swade41 and 3 others like this.
  4. Chicster

Chicster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Missouri H.A.M.B.ers

A few years ago I sold my 65 Nova to a good friend. I gave him the taillight warranty and he said that was all he expected. He still has it and still enjoys it.

Hnstray likes this.

5. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I see no problem with selling to a friend or someone that I know. Because, they know how I take car of my stuff! Be honest and up front about anything and everything.

Hnstray likes this.
  6. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

To a Friend, yes. In fact, I have. But to someone I just know.....maybe, maybe not. It would depend on my knowledge/opinion of them and if I thought they understood what they are buying.

7. jim snow

jim snow

I’m conflicted about this. After owning it forever I don’t think I could. Too many memories.jmho. Snowman

8. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

BTDT.
    If it was a good friend that understood vehicles and was a 'car-guy'. Sure.
    If it was just a friend and didn't understand some basics, like maintenance. No(never again).

9. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

NO!!!!!!

Randall likes this.
  10. Sold my '55 Desoto to my best friend about 7 years ago. He loves it, has done lots of work to it and drives it everywhere... 20190517_081407.jpg

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  11. wheeldog57

wheeldog57

Sold an OT el camino to a friend of 35 years after repeated requests. It was running, driving, stopping 68 that needed finishing touches. I sold it for WAY cheap. He is not handy with cars and I offered to help with fixing it up multiple times. He is no longer talking to me.
    That will never happen again

Atwater Mike, Randall and bobss396 like this.
  12. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Yes. A buyer is a buyer.
    Why say "no" to
    someone you "know"?
    Just be honest.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  13. No, he's already asked.

nochop likes this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Being honest is the point. There are people I ‘know’ who are not savvy enough about cars to understand the implications of old cars. They would not be pleased with the maintenance required etc. In some cases, they are ‘whiners’......I don’t need that.

My Friends, on the other hand, are into the same things I am and know what they are doing and may be facing.

I actually think, though, there is more risk in selling an OT later model that is being bought for transportation and if a catastrastroke occurs, they will not be happy.

Ray

15. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I sold a friend my 53 Merc about 20 years ago and we are still friends, my 50 Ford went to a guy I know about 25 miles from here about 10 years ago and I've never seen it since. The friend with the Merc still has the car and drives it quite a bit. The rest of my cars have been sold over the internet, on here and Ebay, I still have some regrets about selling the Merc when I see it but glad to know it's still in good shape and being enjoyed.

Attached Files:

16. Gman0046

Gman0046

Over the years I've sold several cars to friends with no problems or complaints. I don't build junk and my friends know I build decent cars.

bchctybob likes this.
  17. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is a big difference between a "friend" as opposed to someone you know or someone with whom you are acquainted.

I only have four real friends and several hundred with whom I am acquainted. That being said I would sell (or buy) from a friend but avoid selling to someone I know. I did that once and it was a colossal pain in the ass.

18. Nope, I will never sell a car to a friend. That was the policy growing up around my grandfather as the few times he decided to, went south. Sold a O/T Camaro that was perfectly fine as sold, agreed on the tail light warranty. Guy blows the motor up a week later (by revving the pee out of it) and promptly blames my grandfather and myself for a bad engine.

We restored a 65 El Camino, buddy in our group wanted it bad, so gave a price (we thought was high enough to get him to back off) and he bought it. He owned it the next couple of years complaining of everything on that car. Mainly over the style choices we made when restoring it, well then why were you so instant on buying it in the first place?

19. I have bought and sold cars to friends and never experienced any problems, when selling I am honest to a fault, I want them to know everything I think is wrong with the car or truck. HRP

WB69, LOU WELLS, bchctybob and 2 others like this.
  20. Ive bought & sold vehicles,parts ,tractors , horses and even land to friends. You just tell everything that you know is wrong with it when you sell. If something happens you can look them in the eye and honestly state I never knew that. Many people who ive sold stuff to became my friends. Its close relatives that I don't want to sell anything to . buy anything from . Or do any work for. You can pick your friends. Relatives/ family your just stuck with.

21. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I have both sold to and bought from friends, but we always both new everything about the cars.

22. trollst

trollst

Not only would I sell to a friend, I have built three cars and are building another right now for a friend. All four still talk to me, all are cars I was going to do for myself. They walked in to my shop, decided that was the car for them and I finished them just the way I wanted. I won't sell to a whiner, I won't build for a whiner, too many issues, people who don't understand that cars break, things happen, tailgate warranty applies here too.

23. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

Why not sell to someone who understands and appreciates the history of the car. I say go for it.

weps likes this.
  24. I have no friends who are car guys, so yeah, whoever has the money can have the car...:rolleyes:

25. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

x2 - if stays local people will always say that they saw my car, and/or did you see what the buyer did to your car? - not for me

26. bchctybob

bchctybob

I’ve always had pretty good luck selling to friends and even acquaintances. Seems they are happy with my buy high-sell low policy. I’ve never been able to buy one back as cheap as I sold it though.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Hnstray likes this.
  27. pigIRON63

pigIRON63

I don't have a problem selling to a friend. I have sold cars and projects to friends. It made me feel good for someone to want a car that was done my way, my style. Projects are cool too, you get to see another dream finished and on the road without using your own money to fund it!

28. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

Slipperly slope for me. I sold my 56 Chevrolet, Model 150, Utility Sedan to my best friend, as he wanted it really bad. This was a car that had a really good body and perfect floorboards (rare in this part of the country). He went to a wrecking yard to get a 'better" front seat for it, bought one from of all things, a Road Runner. To install it, rather than drill the mounting holes, he took a center punch and a big hammer to the floors. Used the same hammer to roll the rear wheel well lips under to fit bigger tires. Then, he ran the snot out of the 360 HP 396 BBC; it was a street car with 5.38 rear end gears!!! I helped him rebuild the engine, new clutch, traction bars, and some other work, then his Father told me he really wished I'd buy the car back. A couple of weeks latter, his Father died while riding his son's bicycle; the front brake caliper came loose, tangled in the spokes, and flipped the bike forward. His Father landed forehead first into the street. What could I do? I bought the car back, and it became my first dedicated drag strip car. So NO, never sell a car to a friend; at least that was my experience. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

29. When I've sold to anybody I've always pointed to my shoulder and said, "This shoulder isn't here for you to cry on." My one real friend has never heard this statement. He doesn't need to.

INVISIBLEKID and VANDENPLAS like this.
  30. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always say, "I would love to buy a car from me." I can't leave any known flaw unfixed. A good friend bought my 54 Chevy and knows he got a car that was ready to roll wherever he wanted to go. In fact, we caravan together to car shows and in 2 years, he has had zero hiccups. So, I would sell a car to just about anybody I know, with confidence that they will like it. If there happened to be a problem with it, I would for sure tell them.