Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How long do you hold onto parts before you finally decide it's time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Nov 23, 2019.

1. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

I just moved so I got rid of a bunch of stuff, and of course now I know I have something and look and look for it only to realize I threw it away!! I have held on to this stuff and love it when I can give it away to friends for a project of their's. It makes me feel like I was right for holding on to it so long! But most the stuff I can see I was wrong for holding on to it. It's funny when I hear of a friend needing something I have and I offer it to them, they want to pay for it or act like they are really indebted to me... They don't realize it makes me feel validated. It's like therapy!

2. Roothawg

Roothawg

I think it’s the thrill of the hunt for me.

Montana1 likes this.
  3. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Well, not the Whitworth clan. They are kinda weird.

Roothawg likes this.
  4. Crap. I’m still running the first engine I built when I was in high school.
    It’s in ride #3

Roothawg likes this.
  5. I still have a whole shed full of parts(mostly engines) that my dad saved. He's been gone for 20 years...not sure why I keep it. Sentimental I suppose.

mgtstumpy, Roothawg and WB69 like this.
  6. Toqwik

Toqwik

You just have to get rid of it when the mood strikes you. Sold a guy a rear roof section to a model A once and as we were walking out to the shed something came over me. He was only there for the roof, but left with a set of fenders, rims, package shelf, don’t remember what all was there. I even through in a set of 40 Ford spindles with all the steering linkage. Now at least I can mow around my shed.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Roothawg and Sandgroper like this.
  7. When I die.....someone else has a problem...…….

8. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

I just get more buildings.

9. WB69

WB69
    from Kansas

I can relate to this!!! Same here.

Roothawg likes this.
  10. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

After 30 years I got rid of the parts I had for future projects,I am suprised that vehicles that those parts would have worked on did not show up after they were gone. Usually if I get rid of a part I need it the next week.

Roothawg likes this.
  11. wicarnut

wicarnut

The hunt/find is fun and if and when you decide to move/downsize, it's time to sell your "Stuff". A very good friend of mine from way back, high school had the foresight to go around to the boneyards and gather Mopar parts as back then very little repop and he enjoyed the hunt. He sold/bought did well, now old, he's thinking on moving to a better climate but his volume of inventory gets him down and he hung onto some of the stuff too long, the value has diminished due to repop industry, but he enjoyed the hunt, his mind is still sharp as he still knows what's there. I'm guessing he will not move, do what we did, become Snowbirds, eventually go to the Big Show and his son will have to take the time/effort to sell off his car collection, parts inventory. I retired, downsized once and thinking on moving again so I'm in the process of selling off some more "Stuff" and it's not easy to let go of somethings, I go into my shop/mancave, it makes me smile, lifetime/memories, If we do not move again, probably my wife will end up selling my "Stuff" to the Vultures that always show up to help out the grieving widow.

Roothawg likes this.
  12. Dusty roads

Dusty roads
    BANNED

It's an age thing with me. If I know that the family doesn't want it and I can't sell it the trash people get it.

Roothawg and wicarnut like this.
  13. Root, I have a set of 14" x 6" mags that were originally on my 63 1/2 Falcon Sprint, I sold the car in 1969, up until now I did realize how long so I guess after 50 years it might be time to sell them. :D HRP

mags.jpg

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019
  14. lumpy 63

lumpy 63

Once a year I sell stuff at the big 3 swap in San Diego , Usually only stuff I consider to be crap I would never use on my stuff. Although I did sell a crate of 2GC stuff last year and now I am looking for a certain 2GC choke housing.:mad:

Roothawg likes this.
  15. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I should get rid of more but things keep following me home. I have the same problem that seems to the battle cry for almost everybody I talk to in the world of cars is that a week after you get rid of something you find you need it. I'm finding as I get older the dreams of building that last bucket list car I have saved parts for are slowly being placed with thoughts of my kids having to deal with all this stuff when I'm gone. So I guess for now I shall remain "LORD OF THE HOARD".

Roothawg and Old wolf like this.
  16. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

I used to pitch a lot of small parts and a friend said save them and I could put them in his shed. After I tore apart a Model A to restore it I found out that I had tossed several specialty bolts and was out there dumping cans of old bolts trying to find them. I have parts in my garage attic that belong on cars I sold almost 30 years ago. I have been giving parts to friends who need them if they have been around for a while, less for the kid to clean out after I'm gone.

Roothawg, X-cpe and ramblin dan like this.
  17. You mean some people actually get rid of stuff they don't use? Whodathunkit?
    I have some stuff in boxes from when I was a teen with my first car.
    I thought getting rid of stuff was supposed to be for the family to do after I die.

TheSteamDoc likes this.
  18. squirrel

squirrel

I still have some stuff I got in the 1970s, and never got around to using....yet.....

wicarnut and Sandgroper like this.
  19. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

After my youngest son died, I had the job of getting rid of all the bump side F100 parts he had acquired. Decided I didn't want anybody to have to go thru my hoard. When I got rid of my Maverick, I sold a lot of it on eBay, gave some of it away. Still find the occasional light or bracket.

My problem is engines, I can't seem to let go of a good core. Had a Chevy 90* V6 that I had machined for the boys truck and a core engine with good crank and rods, needed to buy a set of .040 pistons to put it all together, sat on it several years, got damp and rusted after the oil ran off, ended up putting in the scrap pile because nobody wanted them. I've got a 289 or 302 on my engine stand that needs building taking up space, as well as the 350/350 turbo I pulled out of the Lincoln sitting in the way, still have dreams of building a cheap fiberglass roadster or coupe, but will probably never happen. Getting harder to find V8 anything anymore, so I hate to get rid of them, but doubt I'll ever get around to using them, just don't want to put them out in the weather but out of room to store them.

I'm not buying anything I can't use on my car anymore, no matter how good a deal it is. If I can just get it back together and in good shape, I want to get rid of the other stuff and have some clean room to walk in.

But I saw a good deal on Marketplace the other night on another HAMB friendly....................

Roothawg likes this.
  20. 2935ford

2935ford

Yup, the purge is coming to my garage starting now! I have built my last car and that's that! :)

Roothawg likes this.
  21. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

I went through all my stuff a couple of years ago and realized I had lots of parts that were not for any of my current projects, or were duplicates. As an example I have three sets of 33 Ford front fenders.
    So I put together a list of the extra stuff with some prices and sent it around to a few friends. Gradually some of the stuff has sold. Better to go to someone who could use the part than have it sitting in my place for the next few years. Don't be a hoarder!

TheSteamDoc likes this.
  22. The37Kid

The37Kid

Some times having enough crap to sell is a good thing. Two years ago a car I wanted was going to come up for sale. Sold off enough "Good Stuff" to cover it. Then the deal was put on hold, money went to cover bills. Deal was on again, sold more stiff, deal went on hold again, more bills got paid. Finally on the third time around I still had enough crap to cover the deal and the car is finally in my garage, one I've wanted for 50 years. Bob

Hnstray likes this.
  23. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm on the other end of the spectrum. Got the idea I needed to sell all my stuff a while back. Even most of my tools and equipment. Should've could've at least kept the roadster body. Stupid. Oh well.

Things are better now.
    Got a project.
    Fixing up the garage.
    New equipment.
    Back to search and hoard...
    ... within reason LOL.
    Give this another shot.

Sent from my VS835 using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

charleyw likes this.
  24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

raven and Roothawg like this.
  25. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have parts I got in 1963

Roothawg likes this.
  26. 19Fordy

19Fordy

As you get older and you realize your own mortality
    is creeping up on you, reality finally sets in and you begin to sell
    as you know it's just a matter of time.

swade41, Hnstray, raven and 4 others like this.
  27. fuzzface

fuzzface

I haven't found out yet myself, I am, still alive. :)

Montana1 and Roothawg like this.
  28. The37Kid

The37Kid

That thought does come up now & then, turning crap into money is job number one now. Bob

wicarnut and Roothawg like this.
  29. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Still have parts from 45 years ago.

Roothawg likes this.
  30. Roothawg

Roothawg

Of course you are......