Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 58 Apache

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ThompsonSpeed, Nov 14, 2019.

1. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

Picked up this old gal this week. Curious to which route I should take, original body/frame. Has a 454 in her, a little too much motor for this truck I think. But it’s different.

Leave the patina and upgrade to a little more modern suspension/brakes to match the motor? Or go all out and do it right, take it back to what it’s suppose to be? Value as is? Value fixed up right?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Somebody better tell squirrel that a big block is too much for those trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

3. BJR

BJR

Fix the body and paint it an original color and leave the motor that's in it alone, except for a tune up. Next, drive the shit out of it and have fun.:D

4. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm Humming that Sanford and Son Jingle right now...:D Congrats on your New Truck and It has honest Wear and could wear either look well...but get it roadworthy and work a good One Color 60s Track Assist Vision down the road but have some fun with it first see how you like it...

chryslerfan55 and ThompsonSpeed like this.

5. If the motor and trans are good.
    I would upgrade the brakes.
    Rebuild the steering n suspension.
    Paint it, ( this is not patina, lol)
    But that’s up to you.
    And drive the tires off it
    Cool truck.

6. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

Na i meant it has too much motor for the brake power. Too much goooo, not enough whoa.

7. squirrel

squirrel

put a blower on it.

They stop fine if you get the stock brakes working properly, and drive carefully. I guess that's beyond a lot of folks today, so you probably ought to put a smaller engine in it, or turn it into a street roddy truck, like most guys do. Oh well.

8. oldolds

oldolds

While some will argue with me on this... when a vehicle has more surface rust than paint it is past "patina". As stated above, get some paint on it and drive it. Those trucks drive nice and stop well in stock form.

9. belair

belair

10. Fix the brakes.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

For sure, boomer

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  12. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

That appears to be one sweet ride...
    You did ask, so my opinion is to repair any body problems, spiff it up with a flat black color, or similar, make it safe to drive, and enjoy...

chryslerfan55 and ThompsonSpeed like this.
  13. DOCTOR SATAN

DOCTOR SATAN
    from okc

What kind of horsepower that fat block putting out...?

14. Jim is spot on as usual. Not too much motor for the brakes as a rule it is too much motor for the driver. LOL
    I dumped a hot 396 (more zot that a stock 454) in a '58 long bed for a guy back in the '90s. rebuilt brakes and steering the rest of the suspension was just fine. he is still driving it in Kansas City traffic.

15. MO54Frank

MO54Frank

Nice. I'm jealous.

Hotdoggin DaddyO likes this.
  16. AHotRod

AHotRod

Nice truck, I love it.
    Drive it the way it is, unless you have $20K burning a hole in your pocket....

MO54Frank likes this.
  17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Short bed fleet side. Paint it

loudbang likes this.
  18. Put a disc brake kit on the front, go over the mechanicals and at least put it in primer, then enjoy it !

19. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep

Congratulations for scoring a big block TF! I’d focus on making it safe and reliable first, then work on the cosmetic stuff as time allows. They are popular project vehicles due to their simplicity and parts availability, plus they look so darn cool...

loudbang likes this.
  20. donsz

donsz

Looks like a great truck! As you probably know, You can buy any part for these trucks, stock or
    performance. Everyone has different ideas for their vehicle and that is what makes the hobby
    so interesting. But I would strongly consider a dual master cylinder with disk brakes (at least up front).
    However, my experience agrees with Squirrel, the stock brakes when working as they should do
    stop just fine. Great find!
    don

21. loudbang

loudbang

Careful there sonny this place is full of boomers and we know more about those "older" truck and cars than any of you "new people".

22. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

No no, boomer, like a sleeper. Not the generation. Meant no offense

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  23. ThompsonSpeed

ThompsonSpeed

Damn phone did it to me twice.... auto correct....

Not “boomer””
    BOMBER

Seriously, meant no disrespect. My dad is a baby boomer. I’ve learned a lot from him and older gents on here and car shows. And I’m closer to boomer age than 20, that’s for sure. You guys lived through the greatest of times, and I would never intentionally bash that era. I own 4 classics now, the newest being 71. I dislike anything new, no style like you guys had.....

Also, squirrel answered the question perfect, as did many others. He mentioned that it very well could be too much motor for someone who couldn’t handle it. The brakes are new, as well as wheel cylinders and springs and retainers. It stops.... just not what someone would be used to nowadays. And that’s my plans really, fix it up for someone else to enjoy. Is a 26 year old gunna jump in it and expect it to stop like a new Silverado? You bet they are. And unless I get lucky enough to sell it to an older gentlemen, they would prob want disc and better suspension/ride.
    Most would rather have it look old, but handle new. I mean, the younger guys. And he also said about a small block, those younger guys would prob also like a little better fuel efficiency. Not a horrible Idea I suppose. Keep the 454 for myself.....

So anyway, again, I apologize for my phone and for myself not catching it before someone called me on it. Nothing but respect for the older gents on here or anywhere.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    loudbang likes this.
  24. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Personally I think you misread what Squirrel said.

I don't care what anybody says. A stockish 1950s pickup truck with a gigantic engine shoehorned into it is a hot rod.

It's raw.
    It will flipping fly.
    It takes responsibility to operate. (As does anything...anything with wheels that rolls from a wheel barrow to a new Volvo.)
    It can be as dangerous as a cocked howitzer.
    It's awesome.

Once we sanitize away fast things, things that go boom and sharp pointy things; Whats left? Nerf.

Corks on forks?

ThompsonSpeed likes this.