Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical No HEAT IN 48 TRUCK

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by johnrfray, Nov 16, 2019.

1. How does the flat head with 2 water pumps get water to the cab heater ? Does it get pushed by one of the pumps or is it just a slow gravity feed, or is there a inline shut off someplace? ya the 2 hoses don't even get warm

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  2. Budget36

Budget36

I have a couple of FH water pumps left over. The pass side pump has a fitting in it, that I assume went to a heater. The engine was out of the car it came from, so no idea where the return went to.

3. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Most 48 and earlier V-8s have two holes, one on each side of the outlet on the heads. One on each head is used for the temp sender and the other is generally plugged with a pipe plug. There is a fitting sold by several of the HAMB vendors that requires a 5/8" hole to be cut into the lower radiator hose, generally on the left side. One heater hose connects from there to the heater and another connects from one of the unused plugged holes on a head, usually on the right side of the engine.

4. I would also to presume that the older cars had these.

A gas heater

s-l16002.jpg

5. I got 2 hoses going to the heater box, they don't even get warm , if there is no shut off for the flow I guess she pluged up

6. studebaker46

studebaker46

there should be a shutoff valve somewhere in the system. I would trace both heater hose back to where they begin Tom

7. southcross2631

southcross2631

Most of the old flathead vehicles I have owned or worked on had a shut off so you wouldn't get roasted in the summer time. Do you have thermostats ? Even if the heater core was plugged one hose should be getting up to engine temp unless the feed side is shut off or plugged.

8. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Found this post from Fortyfordguy on the HAMB:

"One hose line would connect to a fitting in the pass side head....usually to one or other side of the radiator hose outlet in the head. These generally have a manual shut-off valve in the fitting.

The other hose line would go to a fitting in the lower (pass side) radiator hose. Sounds goofy but that's how they did it in the '39-42 flatheads. You can buy the fitting from MAC' ANTIQUE AUTO PARTS. You pull the lower hose, cut an opening about 3" from the engine side, place the inner and outer pieces of the fitting into the hole, and tighten it up. Now you will have a heater hose fitting IN the radiator hose!

Another choice would be if your water pump has the opening and fitting for a heater hose barb. This is more common on the later flatheads."

Mac VanPelt
    VANPELT SALES LLC
    Cincinnati, Ohio USA
    www.vanpeltsales.com
    Fortyfordguy, Oct 14, 2005

9. sunbeam

sunbeam

Look for The temp gauge sender by the upper radiator hose now look at the Passenger head for a port in the same place one heater hose will go there and the other will go to a pipe fitting on the water pump. The shut off valve should be in the hose from the head. This shows the 48 firewall but a later engine stock will be the same except the head location for the hose. http://smclassiccars.com/uploads/po...ad-v8-8ba-engine-hoist-with-good-tires-13.JPG

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  10. leon bee

leon bee

Is this just in the shop, or have you driven it? I just learned this: hooked up my heater in the shop. Engine up to temp, more or less, but just idling. I only got like room temp air blowing from heater. Disappointed and went home. A couple days ago drove the car a few highway miles and it got kinda hot in there. I guess just idling wasn't pushing water thru the heater core.