Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The Hurst Auto Stick I Shifter Thread...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Elcohaulic, Dec 22, 2018.

1. MIHooper

MIHooper
    from Philly

2. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

That's exactly how I got my last two Autosticks.. Also look on e-Bay but use search's like Hurst automatic shifter..

1Nimrod and MIHooper like this.
  3. Poncho60

Poncho60
    from N Illinois

Search Hurst Auto Stick 1...works fairly well on ebay.

1Nimrod and MIHooper like this.
  4. MIHooper likes this.
  5. caminonut

caminonut

Hello all,
    I was doing a search looking for a Hurst auto shift this morning because I have been thinking about changing my 71 El Camino over from a four-speed to an automatic and would like to keep the shifter on the floor in the original boot and still be able to use a muncie shifter handle to look original when I accidentally ran across this site.

There is Some nice pictures Elcohaulic has posted and great info in this link.
    Glad I found this place.

John a.k.a. caminonut

1Nimrod and Elcohaulic like this.
  6. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

It will turn out best if you get a shifter porch on e-Bay and zip screw it to the floor along with some cocking.. I'll post some photos. Its much more easy to install then it might look..

finished from back window.JPG finished.JPG Shifters apart.JPG Shifter kob.jpg floor dash 1.JPG

1Nimrod and loudbang like this.
  7. caminonut

caminonut

Hello,
    Thanks for the input and pictures,
    It has the original 4-speed hump, I'm guessing that I may have to alter the mounting bracket or make one for the shifter and alter a new Muncie shift handle as well to fit in my boot so I would not have to cut my floor.
    I have had my camino sense it was 13 months old and keep it in my heated garage, it has no rust so I do not want to cut anything on the body.
    Hopefully I can accomplish this, but first must find a Hurst auto stick 1 at a reasonable price.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2021
  8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I found that shifter porch on e-Bay they have hundreds of them..

9. OldsPwdRatTrk

OldsPwdRatTrk

My very first shifter was an Autostick I. It was the only one I had ever seen until a few years ago. I got mine for my 17th birthday in 1984. It's been in my first car (71 Cutlass Supreme), my old truck (71 C10 SWB), my old rat rod chassis (Sorry, don't know what else to call it, I know they aren't preferred here. Truthfully, it never got finished) and now its in my wife's 66 Belair Wagon with a new stick that I had water-jetted from stainless. Mine is a TH350 style with the removable stick. I don't know how many times guys looked in the car and thought it was a 4-speed.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod, indyjps and Elcohaulic like this.
  10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

My first Autostick I had the removable lever. It went with the car, the buyer made absolute sure it was coming with the car. It was in a 64 Bonneville with a 462 Th400. I bought a real nice 69 el Camino SS396 and put another one in. I got it from a guy on this board. He gave me a very good deal on it.. I just love going through the gears with this shifter. I am tempted to do a manual valve body on this TH400 but it works just fine..

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. Anybody adapt one of these to a Turbo 700R4?
    Asking for a friend.;):rolleyes:

12. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I've always loved the Hurst Auto Stick shifters, just because they work, and look great. Still amazed that Hurst has never seen fit to reintroduce them and add versions for 4 speed OD trans also?
    I wanted one badly for a couple builds, but never found one for sale. I ended up building my shifter in my '39 Chev coupe using an old Hurst handle, and my own fabricated linkage. It works, but not as nice as the Autostick.

[​IMG]

13. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

FYI
    When searching online for oem/repro shifter surrounds type 4 speed "hump" not "porch".
    Prior to today I had never heard the term but I see that it is used, but you will get better results.
    Besides it's more fun to say "hump"!

slayer and Just Gary like this.
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have several of these Hurst Auto Sticks; I actually have one less due to selling one to a "non-member", who came onto the HAMB only looking to have his needs met; he looked me up, and sent a PM. Gave me a sob story about why he "needed" one, and I relented, sold him one of the four I had (completely refurbished at that!), for a really good price (easily half to 1/3 of what they sell for/looked at E-Bay today, and they are really EXPENSIVE now), and have't seen or heard from the guy since; not even a thank you. So, I won't be selling anything, anymore, to anyone, as it just seems there are too many selfish rectal prolapses out there. I may still give stuff away as I see fit, but no more sales. And if they're a non-member, all they'll get is the universal hand gesture for contempt. I really think the only way anyone should be able to access the classifieds, is to have "X" number of threads/posts; something to show they're actually a "participating member". I did't notice the no-post count until I had committed to the sale, and I still almost backed out, but dealt with something called "my word". There you go. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

15. cfmvw

cfmvw

I had a Hurst dual gate shifter from a '68 GTO that I put in an OT '72 Lemans with a 455 and switch pitch TH400. Switch pitch converter was hooked up to the brake light switch, but I also had a toggle switch mounted to the shifter handle. Had a lot of fun with that setup!

1Nimrod and Algoma56 like this.
  16. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I don't see how you could make it a 7 detent unit. The way the stops are in these I just don't see it happening. Then there's the mounting, these shifters bolt directly to the transmission. Also, if you screw it up your not screwing up some cheap shifter that goes for $100 bucks.. I dont see this happening. You would be better off looking for one of those new shifters that just came out in the last 10 years. I can't remember there name at the moment..

1Nimrod and Just Gary like this.
  17. This just popped up on ebay today. This guys prices are always high, but really ?
    Screenshot_20210402-182903_eBay.jpg

18. Holy shit! I have a NoS. welded stick Auto-stick hanging on the wall I should sell at these prices!

1Nimrod, Elcohaulic and loudbang like this.
  19. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I think the Hurst Autostick I is one of the best automatic shifters ever made..

Best interior shot.JPG Interior Red shifter ball..JPG Interior shifter.jpg interior.JPG

Last edited: Jul 17, 2021
    1Nimrod, MUNCIE, Just Gary and 4 others like this.
  20. hemiuk

hemiuk

Just brought one for my 57, looking for a mounting bracket for a TH400 and the shifter arm if anyones got anything at a reasonable price ? I will have a TH350 mounting bracket for sale once it arrives

Elcohaulic, 1Nimrod and chevy57dude like this.
  21. hemiuk

hemiuk

Just a thought, does anyone have a instruction manual for the TH350-400 that they could send over as a PDF?

1Nimrod likes this.
  22. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

23. @hemiuk - Send me a PM when you get one and a price for yours and I'll probably buy it. Thanks

1Nimrod, loudbang and hemiuk like this.
  24. hemiuk

hemiuk

Just ordered one for a TH400 the price of a bracket was ridiculous then shipping and tax close to $500 but it’s kinda useless without it easy come easy go

25. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Dude you will love the way that shifter feels. Its like having a four speed without all the troubles of a clutch... I shift mine manually most of the time, unless I want it to free wheel in D.. I notice it shifts into second harder when manually shifted from first to second..

1Nimrod, loudbang and hemiuk like this.
  26. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

There have been automatic shifter threads on the HAMB over the past years. If it is the Hurst Shifter specifically you have then building one similar works, with a little time and design. The Hurst Shifter was well beyond the average teenager’s pocket book. It was easier to make one or at least copy one that was from Pep Boys or any chrome accessory shop.

By the time Hurst, in name, Shifters came on the scene, we had already moved on in our lives and the whole scene that pushed developments in drag racing had big factories that made the latest items for racing. But, it was not necessarily for everyone, as most classes at the drags were transforming and being phased out.

Only the big FED racing and eliminator brackets were still racing. The rest of the individual classes were fading and eventually gone. Big money and the factory was now the main element in drag racing.

Jnaki

But, before all of that big changeover in hot rods and drag racing, we sure had fun doing some home grown design and construction. It took a while to draw up a design, have plenty of mistakes and mock ups, while finally getting something that worked.

There were a lot of high school Metal Shop/Auto Shop class days measuring and remeasuring to get it right. An extra Hydramatic Transmission was a good thing to have sitting on a table for mockups and measurements for the shifter and arm.

The design and construction was important as it was going to be showcased every time this old 1951 Pontiac was cruising into the drive-in restaurant parking lot and everyone could see the results of our hard work in those Metal/Autoshop classes. Peer pressure at its finest and a means to push us to doing great work. YRMV

We did a great job, got an "A" for the project and much accolades from our friends. We made one more for another automatic transmission. Then, I thought this might be a good teenage money maker and jumped at the chance to make a 3 speed floor shift mechanism for another friend in a 1955 Chevy two door post, hot rod cruiser. That was a different story... and problems.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/chevy-shifter.1221458/#post-13956150 new Chevy shifter thread

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...or-an-auto-trans.1213389/page-2#post-13842724 Teenage metal shop/auto shop project

27. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Where did you get it from?

28. hemiuk

hemiuk

E-bay it was the cheapest one currently on there the other one was $499 plus shipping and then the tax once it hits England

29. hemiuk

hemiuk

I can’t wait to get it and install it, going to be a little weird not banging the gears but I don’t think the T10 would had held up to the motor, so better to sell it on so it survives to live another day

30. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I have instructions I down loaded from the Hurst site years ago but they are on a flash drive that I don’t have with me now.
    When I get back I will post them. It will be a couple of weeks though.