Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Ford Tudor Frame Off Rebuild

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Canuk40, Jun 7, 2016.

1. jkski

jkski

info very interesting, I will keep coming back for more

2. alchemy

alchemy

Yeah, backing plate to backing plate means nothing. You need to measure WMS's. You would be surprised at how different the 40 brakes can be from the modern brakes.

3. Canuk40

Canuk40

Thanks to all for your comments, and suggestions. I am reading them, but am about to reach overload with the amount of info. i'm getting. Keep it up.

I'll take a few minutes and give you a quick update. Disassembly is ongoing and I sam learning:
    that no two fasteners are the same. I have even found metric nuts and bolts, and Robertson wood screws (square head),
    that the motor is likely a '48, given the distributor,
    that the amount of patching of sheet metal is more extensive than I thought,
    that rust will ALWAYS find a way to your eyes (even with protection),
    that my new best friend is a torch,
    and that the list of parts to buy/find gets longer by the hour. (Many are missing or were fabricated out of foil and chewing gum).
    I am about to become the best customer of either Dennis Carpenter or Bob Drake - likely both.
    Having said that, I have bought a WC Borg Warner/Tremec T5 out of a '84 Mustang GT. Looking for a rebuilder in the area.
    As soon as I can get the steering wheel off, I'll remove the rest of the interior, and get a look at the floors. Very worried about what I will find.,
    I'll start posting pics as soon as I can figure out how get them to my pc.
    Stay tuned.

504640 likes this.
  4. Drake and carpenter sell an entire floor WITH the floor stiffeners for $375. That's a deal. Just do the whole thing if it needs more than a few patches.

Canuk40, joel and 504640 like this.
  5. Canuk40

Canuk40

So, the car is about 90% disassembled, and I think it's time for a few photos and show and tell.
    We pulled the motor and trans last weekend and I need some identity help. Note the photo of the bellhousing - no id, only a few tool marks (looks like filing). Only id are the circe of letters on the right side and the digit "4" on the other. side. , , Then we have the distributor that looks like a later model unit 46 maybe. And lastly, we have the forward fill tube on the intake manifold. Someone in another thread thought it was a truck motor feature.
    So, what do I have? Is it a 1940 motor with a lot of later parts? Or is it a later motor intact?
    Best guesses welcome.

6. Canuk40

Canuk40

So, it’s been a while since I started this thread, and an update is in order. I’ve been busy with a number of projects (not all cars), so it’s slow going sometimes. But, the good news is that I have completed the floor/rockers install. The new cowl side pieces are welded in and the firewall has been repaired and I filled in most holes. The doors fit as before.

I went to Hershey this year and picked up the rest of the stainless trim I was missing. Also upgraded to a chrome set of headlight bezels and got some matching interior pieces and window cranks. I was blown away by the numbers and quantity of people, parts and vendors. It’s a must do.

I’ve started chassis mods and I guess it’s time to source suspension parts, a trannie rebuild and wheels and tires. The motor is at a local shop for teardown and inspection and it looks like I have a good rebuildable block.

That’s it for now. Stay tuned – I hope to have the body on the replacement chassis by spring.

IMG_0573.JPG

Attached Files:

F&J, Dan Hay, RICH B and 1 other person like this.
  7. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

Nice floor and rocker install!

8. That looks like EMS rockers, did you like them? Did you need the rearward extensions? Is that a Drake or United Pacific one piece floor? How did you like that? I ask as I am at that step on my coupe build.

Sent from my SM-J327V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

9. 6sally6

6sally6

Just "throw'in" out there but........why a 9"?!! High dollar and unless you're running a hemi or something a bit of "over-kill" (IMHO) True 57-58 Ford Gal stuff is narrow-est Ford 9".......65-66 Mustang/Falcon 8" is the same width...plenty strong for small/medium V-8s more plentiful and wayyyyy more reasonable$$$-wise.
    'scuse me if I'm butt'en in!!
    6sally6

10. Canuk40

Canuk40

Time for an update. I’ve had to do a lot more rust repair than anticipated. Major repairs to inner wheel wells to replace all attachment points for the rear floor and trunk panels including tail pan. EMS pieces worked great with only minor fitment issues. I’ve repaired rear fenders and grill sides. I found an 8” rear axle and am mocking up rear suspension parts. I have a complete Pete and Jakes front end including disc brakes. I’ve also mocked up the pedal assembly and conversion to GM 525 steering box. I replaced the tail stock of my Mustang GT 5 speed with an S10 piece. Having only 2 hands is a drawback. Means I can only work on one thing at a time, so everything takes a lot longer to complete than you would like. I can see now how projects get stalled. You get overwhelmed by the length of the build list, and eventually give up. Staying focused and motivated is the key. Tackle one job at a time and complete it before starting another major project piece. That’s it for now. I’ll post next when the motor is back and in the chassis. May have a roller by then.

Attached Files:

11. LongT

LongT

Thanks for the update. I know all to well being overwhelmed. I am at that point. I get something partially done then see where I can't finish that until I do something else. Then the same thing happens again. AHHHH! Too many partially finished jobs. I'd I think I'd sell if I wouldn't lose so much money.

12. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

Hard to see one thru to the finish but you have to keep your eye on the goal. Nothing is better than the first drive and you are glad you stuck with it.

i.rant and LongT like this.
  13. joel

joel
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep at it ;You're doing well. The floors look nice. Many times, especially near the end, I wondered if I would get mine finished. Actually, it helped me to post on the build thread... kept me focused on the result.