Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Welding drilled axle ??

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 303racer, Nov 12, 2019.

1. 303racer

303racer

Hey fellas , I have a partial drilled axle , and was wondering if it’s gojng to be a problem with heat to mig ( I don’t own a tig) the holes closed ?
    ( prefer undrilled)
    I shouldn’t need to make a jig should I ?
    I just want to be sure I don’t bugger it up. Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

Welding those wouldn't leave me with a great feeling of security, always wondering if it compromised the integrity of the axle. They're small, so how about filling them in with some epoxy, smooth and paint?

DIYGUY likes this.
  3. I assume that's an original axle? If so it is forged steel and you can weld the holes closed without any problems.

4. 303racer

303racer

It is indeed original

gimpyshotrods likes this.

5. 6sally6

6sally6

I would suggest to pre-heat the axle before welding. When finished welding wrap in fire proof cloth and let cool sloooowly.......just to be safe.
    6sally6

6. Thread the hole with fine thread.Cut a section from a bolt,or all thread of the correct size. ,and run it in.Leave it a bit low, in front and fill with lead ,or loctite,and use bondo to level.

X38 and The37Kid like this.
  7. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

What?

Hnstray and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Plug them.Hide the plug. No weld no heat worries.

9. adam401

adam401

More than the holes in your axle your real problem is that your already getting real measurable snow at your house haha

Tim, raven, 303racer and 1 other person like this.
  10. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Lot of work to smooth that out after welding, so my first choice would be swap or sell and get another, second choice epoxy fill .

X-cpe and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. southcross2631

southcross2631

I cut my F-1 axle in two pieces narrowed it and stick welded it back together . I wouldn't get to concerned about welding up some holes.
    Try and trade someone for an undrilled axle and save a lot of time and effort. A DSCF3572.JPG guy gave me mine and it had a brand new disc brake conversion. He was going to a Mustang 11 front end.
    Should be plenty of them around

kidcampbell71 and gimpyshotrods like this.
  12. raven

raven

I have an Non-drilled axle I would trade you.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  13. 303racer

303racer

Shipping costs are very high
    And I bought this local , I have others that need straighted and could send out. ( again shipping cost )
    But this one is straight, And was the main reason for wanting to use

14. Fordors

Fordors

Those holes are pretty small I don’t see any problems with welding. Weld it, grind the welds with some finesse so you don’t make things too ugly and finish any lows or pin holes with your favorite filler.

15. Budget36

Budget36

I'd drill slugs, insert, weld, grind flush. But I live on the edge...;)

X38 likes this.
  16. jaw22w

jaw22w
    from Indiana

I would check it for straight after welding. Weld equally on both sides.

17. If you can’t mix those small holes closed and leave an almost flush weld pool behind(bugger all cleanup needed) then get someone who can. Shouldn’t be a drama.

fiftyv8 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  18. 303racer

303racer

Ok judging from the responses it’s half mixed emotions
    Thanks for weighing in fellas

19. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I've welded holes that small in forged axles before. I preheat the area and tig weld with mild steel wire to minimize any porosity. I back the hole with a piece of brass when welding. Let it cool naturally, don't rush it.

20. error404

error404
    from CA

I'd use locktite on the threads, and then just leave the cutoff bolt as flush as I can, and don't try to fill them in. Instead of holes, you'd now have "beauty accents" :D

If you used stainless bolts, they would probably stay shiny. Might actually look good. Kinda like wood work with inlays of different colors/types of wood. Could even use brass, bronze, or copper if you wanted to add a bit of color.

21. oldolds

oldolds

Thread them, short button head Allen bolts from both sides. Nice accent that would drive most people nuts as to why they were there

22. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Having done this several times in much more extreme cases (1” holes all the way across) in your case, I’d just hold a block of brass or copper behind the holes, crank your mig up, and weld them closed. Should only take a few minutes to carefully dress them to invisibility with a die grinder or small flap disc.

303racer, -Brent- and Maicobreako like this.
  23. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well the guy who actually does it for a living gave you the right answer from my viewpoint and that is pre heat it, weld it up and let it cool. I'd be finding some bolts that were the correct diameter to fill the holes and cut some plugs to fill the hole and do a lot less welding.
    I don't know where some of these other guys get their half baked ideas but I don't want them around my car with any tools.

6-bangertim likes this.
  24. birdman1

birdman1

We welded on over the road truck frames for many years, no problems. I used to weld 3/4 ton pickup hubs on car spindles to get a full floating hub on the right front. When is the last time you saw a straight axle break???