Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 62 caddy front disk conversion

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bodydropped72, Nov 11, 2019.

1. bodydropped72

bodydropped72
    from bako,ca

Hey all haven’t been on here in quite some time. Gettin back on my 62 sedan project and I’m gonna do a disk swap in the front. I know 69 and up stuff will work but trying to find it is the problem. Does anyone maybe have a link to someone that has pieced something. For example.... bearings, rotors, calipers year make and model thanks in advance

2. greybeard360

greybeard360

I had a 64 several years ago. Those cars have great brakes... Disc brakes are not an upgrade in my opinion. I pulled a 17 ft travel trailer all over the Texas hill country. Never once did I ever think the car needed disc brakes.

Jack E/NJ and Elcohaulic like this.
  3. bodydropped72

bodydropped72
    from bako,ca

im doing a different rear diff that already has disk brakes so I want to go ahead and do the front as well...

Elcohaulic likes this.
  4. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Have you checked Scarebirds catalog?

Shame you have to change, those massive Caddy drums are some real nice brakes...

Jack E/NJ likes this.

5. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

I did the disc brake swap on my 63 coupe de ville over 15 years ago . I bought a 69 4 door sedan parts car. I simply swapped the whole set up from the 69 to the 63 . By that I mean
    1. Left and right spindles from the 69 with new upper and lower 69 ball joints.
    2. Master and booster from the 69 remembering to use the 69 proportioning valve
    3. Made all new hard brake lines up front copied the size of the lines - disc brake and drum brake lines have different sizes.
    4 . More or less copied the mounting angles and locations of the front flexible brake lines to make sure there was no binding
    Even though I had the parts car I basically got all new parts and used the majority of parts for core returns . I’m not about reusing brake pads, master cylinders,rotors, etc. Even with the parts car the only thing I reused was the spindles.
    It has worked flawlessly for 15 years and was a major improvement over the drums.
    The hardest part is gonna be finding a donor car.
    Everything from what I remember was a bolt on .Any questions and I will help if I can.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  6. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

And another thing is the 63 drum brake rims won’t fit the 69 disc brake font set-up. The bolt pattern is the same but their is different offset between the 2 rims.

7. southerncad

southerncad

8. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ
    from NJ

Gotta agree with this. A more practical upgrade would be a dual MC. Jack E/NJ

9. Tri-power37

Tri-power37

The drum brakes in my 63 where barely ok - they faded quickly with the more use they got . The 69 to 72 upgrade was far superior many have done it and none of them wanted the front drums back.
    I can’t remember exactly how much it cost but it wasn’t very expensive and it didn’t take that long. I sold the big inch Cadillac motor for about what the swap cost me.
    I did a quick H.A.M.B. search and there is quite a bit from past threads about the swap.