Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 56 Corvette frame number access

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barn Hunter, Nov 10, 2019.

1. Barn Hunter

Barn Hunter

I've been all over google and they say the vin number is where your wallet would be while sitting in the drivers seat, stamped on top of the frame. Several have said they could see it with a dentists mirror without lifting the body. There's only about 1/4" (if that much) between the bottom of the body and top of the frame. I can barely get the mirror up in there. Any suggestions other than lift then body? I heard one guy cut a panel out of the floor and found it. If all else fails, how many bolts hold the body to the frame? Thanks.

2. jimdillon

jimdillon

It can be hard to read but there should be more than a 1/4"-should be closer to 1/2"or 3/8" minimum. A really flat mirror can he held up against the body and use a light shining will help sometimes. Even at that it can be very difficult. I have found that cleaning it and using a little liquid may help as liquid sometimes sits in the stamped numbers.

Lifting the body can be a tough deal but if you go that route try loosening the left side bolts in that neck of the woods and then pry the body up a bit-if you loosen all the bolts then the body may move and you will play hell getting it back into the proper location-affecting door gaps etc.. You can of course cut a hole but then you have to seal it back up again. Good luck.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Why do you need to see the frame stamping? The serial number should be on a plate on the driver's door frame.

4. 1934coupe

1934coupe

Fritz I believe the C1 Corvettes tag is on the column under hood. Barn hunter I would cut a patch out of floor, done carefully you can glass/glue the piece back in easily. I removed body from my 62 and cutting a hole is much, much easier.

Pat

loudbang likes this.

5. AngleDrive

AngleDrive
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

First few years they were on hinge pillar, later moved to column.

loudbang and scotty t like this.
  6. ^^^what he said^^^

loudbang likes this.