Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Quick question for the paint pros...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fordor Ron, Nov 9, 2019.

1. So... I’m wanting to repaint the glass fenders on the red 32 car to get rid of some minor defects. They’re already painted in single stage enamel and I’ll be using the exact same paint again.

Do I need to prime them again or can I get away with just cleaning them real good and scuffing them down and blowing a couple coats of color over the existing finish?

Got a couple minor rock chips that will sand out on the left fender and the right fender has a spot on it that when it’s in the full sun you can see the primer showing through a bit. No one else notices it but of course since I know it’s there I can’t quit looking at it. Just want to do a quick clean up on them.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

-Ron

dana barlow and loudbang like this.
  2. BJR

BJR

That should work just fine.

dana barlow, loudbang and Fordor Ron like this.
  3. flatford39

flatford39

Do it...you will be fine.

dana barlow, loudbang and Fordor Ron like this.
  4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Before you do any sanding , wash the panels with a wax remover , you can drive contaminants into the surface with sanding a waxed panel , many of the was products contain silicone and other stuff paint won't stick to .

5. ^^^ This is an excellent reminder. When I get them pulled off I’m going to wash them real good with full strength simple green and then wipe them down with degreaser or lacquer thinner before I start sanding.

Hopefully that should be enough.

Thanks for the help.

6. Slopok

Slopok

Use caution, lacquer thinner has been known to lift some enamels, stick with wax & greaser remover only.

7. X2 on the Lacquer thinner, Noooooooooooooo don't use it. Wash real good with Dawn dishwashing soap first, the sand and wipe with degreaser and tack and paint.

Fordor Ron likes this.
  8. I’ll pass on the lacquer thinner then. I’ve used it before but only after letting most of it evaporate off and using the rag as a kind of tack cloth.

Probably best not to risk it and stick with the wax and grease remover only though.

9. chopolds

chopolds
    from howell, nj
    1. Kustom Painters

The only primer you might need is to spot in the rock chips, when you sand them out. Probably hit bare 'glass when you get them done/

Fordor Ron likes this.
  10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Excellent thread.

Fordor Ron likes this.