Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Perils of the Classifieds

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fred A, Nov 6, 2019.

1. Ziggster

Ziggster

If there is something to be gained or money to be made, people will lie. We learn and practice this from a very young age, but God gave us the power of discernment, and hopefully we all learn from our mistakes. We often have no one to blame but ourselves when we fall for such scams.

Thor1 and alchemy like this.
  2. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

A young buyer steps up to the table looking at a cast iron tri-power setup (this is before multi carb set up were the fad). The young buyer can tell that it is a Chevy intake, but not real sure. So he asks the seller, what does it go to. The seller reply's, what do you got?? The buyers replies a 396 Chevy, The seller reports back, "well there you go, a 396 tri-power set up, right from the factory, not many around. The young buyers forks over his hard earn money from pumping gas all month and walks away with a cast iron tri-power set up for a 348 Chevy. That tri-power set up sat in my father's garage for many years until I gave it away to a friend for helping me out.

Thor1, wraymen, joel and 2 others like this.
  3. stuart in mn

stuart in mn

I've heard many variations of that story at swap meets over the years...there have always been dishonest sellers.

4. X-cpe

X-cpe

The unknowing will be thankful for the new knowledge, the dishonest will be pissed because you are cutting down the size of his customer base.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  5. pitman

pitman

Hollander?
    As in Dutch...or Von Dutch? :rolleyes:

6. alchemy

alchemy

I am glad that you have posted to educate the young about "bad" sellers. But I don't know what you really think will come out of this. A buyer needs to be educated about the parts he searches because sometimes there are unscrupulous sellers. And sometimes there are just sellers who don't know any better.

Don't be pissed at the wise buyer who has earned his way to the mount. Caveat emptor, c'est la vie, and all that.

Thor1, X-cpe and pitman like this.
  7. Fred A

Fred A
    from Encino, CA
    1. Upholstery

I'm lookin Rocky, but sure don't see that report button. Must be my old operating system. Good Luck finding it. Fred A

8. Hint: It's red

9. belair

belair

I know which pile most of us will be in.

Rickybop likes this.
  10. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

11. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Is the seller dishonest (the assumption made by OP) or just ignorant? How hard is it to "start a conversation" with the seller in order to educate the seller? Not at all hard. Very easy, in fact. Who decides who the "expert" is? I know nothing about Winfield carbs, but how do I know OP knows anything about them? I don't know. Instead of starting a thread complaining, I think contacting seller would be a more prudent first step.

12. alchemy

alchemy

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  13. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Well? It's been 8 minutes. :(:D

14. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I do that occasionally when I see that the seller has made a glaring mistake. Most of the time, I get a thank you for setting him straight. I don't know it all and I'm very glad to be corrected by those on here who know much more than I.