Register now to get rid of these ads!

K&N RC-0650 makes decent Inline 6 air filter

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by TraditionalToolworks, Nov 6, 2019.

1. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

I just replaced my air filter on my '46 pickup, it has a late model 235 in it. It had the original oil bath canister. I know others will chime in that like and use the old oil bath filters, but I cleaned it by sloshing around some diesel in it and was going to put oil in the canister, and thought to myself, "self, this is pretty messy, just get a replacement that is most likely cleaner.

This K&N can be cleaned and renewed with oil and will go for about 50,000 miles as many of you know.

kn-rc-0650-on-carter-964s.jpg

1946-air-cleaner-good-riddance.jpg

NOTE: before you get your panties in a wad, I'm just kidding, I'm gonna put it on Ebay and sell it for $500...:p

Also, I admire a company that can still make product in the U.S.A., and they have free shipping. The imported version sells for $30-$35 (Mike's Carbs and The Filling Station), but since the K&N includes free shipping...it's a wash and you get a US product! I ordered Monday around 2:00pm, it arrived on Wed. at 10:30am. MAGA! ;)

These will fit on any 2.25" 1 barrel carb.

kn-thats-what-i-like.jpg

Last edited: Nov 6, 2019
  2. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

But oil mesh filters-don’t do a good job of filtering.

Bones

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019
    Truckdoctor Andy likes this.
  3. TraditionalToolworks

TraditionalToolworks
    from NorCal

Well, you could be right bones, but everything I've seen and read about it, and have used one on a Range Rover, they seem better. What is particularly interesting is that in 1946 Chevy was using oil to trap particles in the air filter, and K&N is nothing more than oil capturing particles in a reusable cloth gauze and that can be cleaned and re-oiled. The original oil canister is yet another dirty oily mess, and I figure we can spare ourselves of some of those solutions.

Why do you say they don't do as good of a job? They've long been used on Land Rovers in the worst of environments, talking Camel Trophy, not freeway driving. And used fairly frequently on Porsches which rely heavily on air for cooling (at least the normally aspirated versions).

Are you saying they breath better but don't trap as well so that in the end the engine gets more wear? Maybe you could expound on your comments.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
  4. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Sent you a PM.

Bones