Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects convertibles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sunbeam, Nov 1, 2019.

1. sunbeam

sunbeam

I've never big on convertibles but 20-30 years ago they brought big money more than any other body style. Today when I look at cars from the early 60s they are bring less than the hard tops.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. Gman0046

Gman0046

Convertibles are fine until you need to replce the top. Aside from my 46 Ford convertible which I loved I'll stick to hardtops.

3. A65B12E0-C08D-428E-B15F-0D7F56B66BDB.jpeg Loved my 61 Sunliner....should have never sold it...Wife misses it as much as I do

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  4. I’ve had 6-7 convertibles. They are fun but can be a pain in the ass too. I don’t study the market, but it seems to me that convertibles still bring more than the same model with a steel roof.

5. I always loved the look of convertibles over hardtops. I always wanted one.....until I bought a 64 Galaxie XL. I found out that a bald head and a convertible in the deep south can lead to problems. Your hat blows off and your head burns. I sold it.

6. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

I've only owned one, but that was enough. It needed a new top, was drafty, noisy, leaked, couldn't find anybody to replace the top, so I sold it. Great with the top down on nice days, sucked on cold, wet days. Most of them when the top went bad got parked then the interiors and floors rotted out, that's why they bring premium prices now, not as many good ones left.

chryslerfan55 and scotty t like this.
  7. upspirate

upspirate

Love convertibles (and roadsters). Nothing like a nice day or night, topless

1959Nomad, raven, Yeti Man and 3 others like this.
  8. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You didn't sell it to guy from Jasper did you Don?

47ragtop and chryslerfan55 like this.
  9. upspirate

upspirate

Had two convertibles, and two roadsters

10. No, it went to Houston Texas.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Convertibles bring about 30% more up here then a hardtop.

1959Nomad and Bandit Billy like this.
  12. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Had an OT FE powered 66 YOM convertible, best of both worlds; closed or open car. Convertibles generally have lower production runs with good ones hard to find for reasonable money when compared to hardtops, coupes etc. They can suffer however from exposure to the weather when neglected, a rotten soft top and deteriorated floorpans.
    My current 35 Chebby phaeton lacks wind up windows but has a roof with side curtains and NO heater or demister. Not too bad however I've have a closed car and am building another closed car.
    A friend is building a 47 Olds vert, and again, he has the best of both worlds, open top and wind up windows so he can chose similar to having a cabriolet.

13. Love their looks but I bought a 56 Olds rag top in high school....hated it. The top ballooned up at speed and the high desert of central Oregon was just too cold for a convertible. And that thing had bad cowl shake....no rust and a 1/2" plate at the frame's X. I yanked the 240 HP motor to go in a cherry 50 ford and dragged the Olds carcass out into the sage brush...came along 3 years later to find someone had finished stripping the car and shot it full of holes. Good riddance.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  14. I've never been a "convertible kind of guy". Whenever I rode in one as a youngster, I always felt "exposed" and like I was riding in a fishbowl. That, and the fact that there were some truly beautiful hardtop rooflines, especially in the 60's that were lost in a convertible. All of the '60's era GM Bubbletops, Ford's '60 and '61 Starliners, the Box-top Galaxies and T-Birds and especially the '63 and '64 Ford Galaxie fastbacks. All of these lovely features go away with their convertible versions. So then, 16 years ago I go out and acquire a '32 Highboy Roadster with no top. Go figure!:rolleyes:

Attached Files:

15. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

At present I have three convertibles... yet they are each very different. A convertible for every occasion. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

16. I'm a big fan of convertibles, I've had several.
    I relate the experience similar to the "in the wind" I had with my Harley, and Indian..a bit safer though with todays cell phone drivers.
    I never drove any of my convertibles with the top up (defeats the purpose of a convertible).
    If I only had one collector type car, it wouldn't be a convertible.. practical side prevailing
    IMG_3386.JPG

17. vintage6t

vintage6t
    from CT

Except for my 54 F100, everything else I own is a convertible. I guess I just like driving topless and my wife does too!

1941 Plymouth
    1950 Desoto
    1962 Rambler American
    1964 Corvette 20180226_135041.jpeg 20151226_104020.jpeg 20191102_073155.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    Dave Mc, 1959Nomad, jim snow and 11 others like this.
  18. 2935ford

2935ford

My first drop top was a '55 that I built pretty much stock. My next was my '29 roadster. And finally my '19 Dort. Now I have none! :(
    55 Chev Convert 10.jpg
    roadster fall 001a.jpg
    ac 004a.jpg

19. OLDSMAN

OLDSMAN
    BANNED

I owned a 61 Pontiac bonneville convertible then a 68 GTO Convertible then built my 48 Olds convertible. They are a pain in the ass to build but I love driving it

20. I’ve had two converts with no top, one I never even installed the frame, the other had the bare frame in place. I always felt the top should only be used on rare occasions anyway. other that the several late models I’ve had.

Yeti Man likes this.
  21. BJR

BJR

I have had 7 different converts. Love them.

22. I have a 72 Cutlass Convertible. I seldom put the top down. I think it looks better with the top up. I bought it because it was cheap ($1,000) but that was 1999.

jeepsterhemi likes this.
  23. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

My first and only convert. IM002453.JPG

mkebaird, Dave Mc, joel and 5 others like this.
  24. I always wanted a convertible. Bought a OT one because price was right for a cheap driver, Had it for about 3 months and HATED it. Same here wind noise,drafty when it rained it leaked. Took forever to get rid of it.. Took a loss on it but GOOD RIDDANCE! Never again

25. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Was just wondering, I know a guy in Jasper that has a baby blue 64, thought it might have been the one you had.

26. sunbeam

sunbeam

The only convertible I ever had was a 56 bird one trip on the highway with the top off was enough. The only time it came off after that was to detail in inside of the car.

27. My first convertible was a '62 Vette I got in 1964. At the time my daily driver and gasser towing car was a power pack 283, 3 speed overdrive Impala 2drht. I traded the Vette off in 1979 for my second convertible, which I still have.

Convertibles are the tits!

40ragtopdown likes this.
  28. joeycarpunk

joeycarpunk
    from MN,USA

When the weather is right nothing is better. Minnesota kind of sucks for open top vehicles. I run mine topless so like a motorcycle your going to get wet sometimes.

29. jimgoetz

jimgoetz

I've owned convertibles all my life and both of my daily drivers are now. Plus my roadster. They've come a long way since my first 57 Ford. With the top up on them today you don't even know your in one. When people used to bad mouth them for being loud, leaking, cold etc. I always told them that those summer nights when it was still 80 deg. at midnight made it all worth it.

30. 40ragtopdown

40ragtopdown

20170528_161027.jpg Have owned mine for 48 years. Guess you might say I like it.