Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Do you have or plan to install a roll bar in your hot rod?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HOTRODPRIMER, Nov 1, 2019.

1. I know they are pretty much mandatory in race cars but I guess it's subjective in a hot rod, that may do double duty. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  2. Jeff Norwell

Jeff Norwell
    Staff Member

I have been thinking of this for one of my 57's... but.. the more I think of it.. the idea gets cheesy.... I have one that would work perfectly.... but.... its still cheesy.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
  3. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Somehow I just can't picture one that would look good in my RPU.
    03700F41-B4F3-417B-9D03-C63DB9788F3A.jpeg

4. dartracer

dartracer

5. tiger1930

tiger1930

I've been up in the air on putting one in. Getting hit in a model A by some jerk not paying attention really makes me think a roll/door bars are a good idea. Required on the dragstrip for anything running 11.49 or quicker. One word of caution though... make sure you've got plenty of clearance for the melon. Something happens and you get smacked with 120 wall tubing without a helmet and you wish it was never there.

Sent from my SM-G950U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Blues4U

Blues4U
    from So Cal

Hard to put an effective roll bar in a hot rod. I'm not a chassis/roll bar expert, but from what I've gathered on the subject, the support beams need to run to the top rail of the bar, or in a roll over the bar can fold over, causing even more damage to the occupants than if there was no bar at all. Plus there is the issue of injury that can occur from hitting one's head on the bar in an accident. If wearing a helmet while racing that may or may not be such a big deal. When without a helmet on the street it can result in major head injuries/brain damage. Plus crawling over a side support can make getting into/out of a small rod difficult to impossible. Bottom line is, it's not an easy task and really should be done by someone who knows what the hell they're doing.

Oh, and no, no roll bar in my A, and no plans to add one. Though being a pickup, it would be easier to run side support beams out the back of the cab. But that's not very aesthetically pleasing.

7. evintho

evintho

More form than function but I like it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

You did say hot rod, right.
    20170903_112224.jpg

20170903_111808.jpg

9. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

My 64 will run faster than 11.50s but it's easy to slow it down, I would like a 6 point bar for nothing more than the place to mount a harness. But the restriction to the rear seat holds me back. My eight year old grandson still needs access for a few years.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  10. Heck with a roll bar Larry, I want to see yur roadster pickup with doors. :D HRP

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  11. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I have a bolt-in 3-point roll bar that I use in my roadster. I've made an 11-second 1/4 mile pass in the car, so it does need a more substantial roll bar if I do more drag racing.

05142016Drags.jpg

ThunderValley_.jpg

Hotrodmyk, swade41, Driver50x and 8 others like this.
  12. that roll bar is illegal. its doing no good being lower than your head. read the rule book on how high above your helmet it needs to be. the rules were written in blood.

swade41, wicarnut, 19Eddy30 and 3 others like this.
  13. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

There are a couple rules of thought for having roll bars in street cars. One is that roll bars are dangerous in street cars if you are not wearing a helmet because of contact of your head or other body parts with a roll bar. The other point of view is “why not” they are probably more useful then not having one.

I guess I fall into the “why not” camp. Even a minimal well constructed roll bar adds structural stability and stiffness to the chassis that not only provides roll over protection but protection from intrusion into the passenger area. A single hoop probably is useless however add a diagonal cross bar and two rear angled supports all attached to the chassis and you are adding strength and protection. Prewar cars especially those with sheet metal over wood frames have absolutely no protection for any kind of collision no matter whose fault. Should also be noted that roll bars in street cars is illegal in some states.

Don’t want to get in the argument about is it traditional or pleasing to the eye. I have a roadster with a minimal roll bar (hoop, diagonal brace and petty bar), racing seats and five point harness but feel better when one of the grandkids is in the car. Also will say driving any old car from the sixties back is a lot more dangerous then any kind of newer car. It’s a risk I’m willing to accept.

14. RmK57

RmK57

The roll bar is fine if you do not go quicker than 11.49. Looks like his dial-in is 11.97.

dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  15. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

When first building my hot rod in the late 50s,it seemed like a roll bar was cool for safety an racey look,but after putting one in,an running around with it; I'd bang my head on it some times popping the clutch. After a time it dawned me as the swelling went down,it was not that cool an I removed it. One of a few oldest photos of my rod, dose show that head banger. The last one being just before I took roll bar out an redid seats,rebuilt V8 Y,added more room an no more lumps in my Bouffant Doo. LOL
    HRZ2.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2019
    jimgoetz, swade41, Driver50x and 2 others like this.
  16. Dana, what is that sitting beside your T? HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  17. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I know it's not NHRA legal or would it do much at all to protect me. That is why I mentioned needing a more substantial roll bar if I do any more racing. The second photo was at Thunder Valley Dragway near Marion, South Dakota. The checked it over and told me to keep it slower than a 13.50. 1197 just happened to be my car number that day.

dana barlow and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  18. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

Image-14.JPG
    My rod is a bob tailed 28A,but anyway,,,,,My Dad's SCCA H- MOD,home made sports car. It dose have a roll bar in the headrest. Crosley powered= I used my paper rout $ an pinstriping $, got a used up Crosley Hot Shot,I got it running/didn't get to drive,when Dad desided too make his sports car out of it, in 1957. He did give me my $ back kind of ,but that's another story.
    I helped him build it anyway an learned a lot doing that before I did my rod,but Dad was not a help on rod,other then he let me use the back yard weeds to build in,if I'd cover it up when not in work.. OK for him to take up the 2 car port,it was his house after all. Here is "H-Mod"at a car show,my skinny butt next to it in 1957/8?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
  19. His dial may be 11s. It also looks like a decapitation waiting to happen. There is zero protection there. Remember when it comes to rules you can be dead right.

swade41, wicarnut and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  20. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Was just thinking about that . Not going to do a lick of good being above the head, with helmet on the track , driving on the street bare head against steel and if you flip track/street your probably dead. Belted in is not a plus IF flipped/rolled.

21. For all the guys complaining about hitting their head there is this neat invention called roll bar padding.
    If you think it hurts bumping your head on a bar try a real crash. Those old cars with no crumple zone or air bags and bodies and frames that offered no protection to the occupants are flat out dangerous. A real roll bar adds much needed safety. Look up the thread on crashes. The cars just cave in.

22. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

I know you said you needed to up grade the roll bar but for whatever reason you installed it was not a good thought out idea going ahead with that particular roll bar.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  23. I could be wrong, but would think that Nick’s rollbar would still be better than nothing in the event the rubber side ended up. Without it, the car would be pretty much flat against the ground. Not trying to say that it is correct or that it couldn’t be safer, but it is still better than nothing which is what most Model A roadsters have even if they are fast ones.

24. Legal 8 point cage in the '57. We wear 5 point safety harnesses also.
    *edit* -[​IMG]
    It looks like this, only no floor plates, as it is welded to the frame.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2019
    swade41 and HOTRODPRIMER like this.
  25. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4 point in the '40 coupe. Tied into the frame.

[​IMG]

-Abone

26. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  27. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

They’re coming Danny :D
    I’m going to get it running and make sure everything is good and then the doors will go on :cool:

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.
  28. Potentially more dangerous than motor cycle wreck. Over powered sardine cans

wicarnut, Blue One, racer-x and 2 others like this.
  29. If we worried about the height of roll bar or the lack of one I doubt anyone in a roadster could ever enjoy drive their car in the future. HRP

jimgoetz, Driver50x, Blue One and 5 others like this.
  30. 34Larry

34Larry

Yes I do have one, chromed to,(or is too)? Just like new and never been used.:rolleyes: Sorry no pic's, computer won't bring up files for posting.

HOTRODPRIMER likes this.