Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods What did you do before the H.A.M.B.???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boden, Oct 29, 2019.

1. 62rebel

62rebel

I smacked rocks together.

2. I did just fine, thank you very much. The HAMB is an interesting place but not the center of the hot rod universe. No offense intended.

3. trollst

trollst

What Gene said, I learned by doing, asking, reading stuff by Baskerville, Bill Burnam, I read and copied on a copier the stuff I needed, street rod builder, what ever I could to learn something specific. To this day I have a library of magazine articles stapled together on shelves for reference. Plus, I have all the books ever printed in the "how to" years of rod builders, engine swaps, bodywork, chassis books, etc.

dana barlow and enigma57 like this.
  4. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

I Relied On Patient Pioneers To Steer Me (Mostly)... THE 4 AMIGOS 2015 019.JPG

5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

Had cars and girlfriends.

6. Before I was old enough to drive at fourteen I bought a 39 Plymouth coach to make a hot rod. Studied the Hot Rod mags. till I memorized them and went to work . Dechromed hood and trunk lid lowered the rear end 6 inches primed it gray with my Mom's vacuum cleaner sprayer . Painted the wheels red and added white porta walls to tires . Split the exhaust manifold in shop class and made dual pipes with glass pacs . Sent to Almquist Speed Shop for cast iron risers to make a dual carb. intake . Had the head milled . The old Mayflower really moved after that . After I got my license I was constantly being pulled over for loud pipes , had three sets the glass pacs , straight pipes and stock mufflers .
    My first drag race I beat a 49 Ford with a 6 cyl. second race was a 49 Ford with a flathead V8 . I liked to hang around garages and watch mechanics do there thing ! I picked up a lot of speed tricks from them. That takes care of my life until 16 years old. Then got a 41 Merc. cp. and blew the flathead , got a 50 Merc. mill and installed it myself and installed Offy heads and headers and that's another story !

dana barlow and enigma57 like this.
  7. My mechanic buddy, 72 years young last month, was my mentor, my go-to guy, my drinking buddy and the source of all kinds of inspiration. He hasn't slowed down one bit other than being on the wagon now about 10 years, and is still my go to!

dana barlow likes this.
  8. Akeyboar.jpg

Just played on the computer!:p

hrm2k, 41 GMC K-18 and dana barlow like this.
  9. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

The short of it !
    First off,in the 1950s,got mags,Car Craft,Hot Rod, and others,joined local hot rod club an then two more clubs. When WWW got kicking,there were a few hot rod sites that came an went,one I liked as long as it lasted,Ruffroders,but the HAMB been cool,ya I do Fordbarn an some other little places off an on,FB has a few pages that are OK.

alanp561 likes this.
  10. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

The same, I'm only on this box for a few minutes a day, why look at pictures when I got the real thing down in my garage..

11. stubbsrodandcustom

stubbsrodandcustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Spring tx

Read a some magazines when they didn't suck... went to more shows for sure... picked old timers brains... had a good time all in all... Not much has changed... We all don't really like technology but the love of keeping things of the past alive keeps us coming back.

Elcohaulic likes this.
  12. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nobody knows it all. Having a cpl decades of restoration under my belt was an influence in and of itself. Exposure to older gents with their own tastes and perspectives was always interesting. Dear ol Dad raced and hot rodded well before the days of '1 800 STREETROD' and for a lifetime before the 'net. The HAMB made the information easier to quantify now and then and also opened a multitude of previosly unknown product or practice from the glory days. So I guess before it was books and practice, now it's right in your hip pocket.

dana barlow likes this.
  13. I read everything I could get my hands on the pertained to history & the automobile, piles of hot rod magazines and worked my tail off raising and educating our girls & if there was any spare money working on my hot rod or someone else's. HRP

dana barlow and Boden like this.
  14. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I'd just quit medical school to become a clam digger, and I hate clams. Then I found the HAMB. I'm much better now.
    But seriously, I'd been called out for a CAT Scan on an ER patient, in the middle of the night, but they were't actually ready when I arrived; it took roughly an hour while I waited. While I waited, I searched online, and found JalopyJournal.Com/the HAMB. What is this????? That was 2003 or so, and the HAMB was a whole lot different then; profanity, hostility, and anger, but there was also a "message" there. It was't until about 2006, when I quit lurking,. that I took the plunge and joined up. A lot of things I like, some things I don't, and some I hate. But, I really don't know what I'd do without the HAMB in my life now. Sounds a bit corny, but it's true. I am butch/56sedandelivery.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  15. John Starr

John Starr

Library, and car magazines. I still have a few of the photocopied pages from tech books I found at the library. Then there was my redneck friends who ran the truck shop at my other friend's landscape biz. They were way better than the internet, well, more fun anyway. And they also told great jokes. And some bad ones; "I'm so 'T-U-R-D' tired I could "F-A-R-T" faint." Thanks, Casey. That one's still stuck in my brain.

16. topher5150

topher5150

I never knew a time before the HAMB, but the ancient ones regale me with tales of this ancient form of communications called "magazines", and "talking to people" I guess it's like facetime but without a phone and you're standing next to a person when you do it....I don't understand it, all to confusing to me.

Boden likes this.
  17. adam401

adam401

I built ground scraping Vws, ground scraping 60s American stuff and fast BMWs.

18. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Used to stare at my heap and wonder "HTF am I gonna fix, make, or replace this or that?"

NOW I know where to turn for expert advice. My favorite surf spot.

Thanks, Ryan!

19. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

hrm2k and lonejacklarry like this.
  20. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

Remember how good the magazines were. I still read them and get ideas from them I was just reading a 1960 Hot Rod about gauges.. They had these real cool Eelco gauges in the photos..

21. Read magazines when they had real hot rods and customs. Now try and find one. GoHAMBGo

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

22. sunbeam

sunbeam

Didn't go to Asbury once a year.

23. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I see what you did there.

hrm2k, LOST ANGEL and Flathead Dave like this.
  24. I used to read magazines and have meaningful conversations with my better half- come to think of it If I am not on the H.A.M.B.-I still like reading magazines...

Robert J. Palmer likes this.
  25. Mostly my family, My fathers's side one great uncle was crew men on a Indy Car pre W.W. II, a second great uncle was chief steward for Fonda Speedway, and my father built and crewed for several local short track cars.

My mother's father was a body man

Great Uncle Don Wyel (In Car) crewed for Sam Car on this A.A.A. Big Car (Indy Car)
    upload_2019-11-2_5-39-16.png

My father Willard-
    upload_2019-11-2_5-40-22.png upload_2019-11-2_5-40-50.png upload_2019-11-2_5-41-15.png upload_2019-11-2_5-41-57.png upload_2019-11-2_5-42-42.png

Stock Racer and alanp561 like this.
  26. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Read a lot of car magazines built a 31 A coupe hot rod/street rod It took 3 years and learned as I built it. Lots of mistakes and rework but I got it done.
    Everyone thought I was crazy until it was a driver back in late 80's drove it all the time. After it was on the road everyone said I could not build a car by myself. After I joined the forum I have been distracted and never finished another car. I have plenty of good material traditional and modern (pre-computer) and have given and sold a lot of nice projects. I need to kill the computer and just go out to my shop.
    I enjoy the forum and it was a lot more exciting even when I was getting slammed for my spelling. The Ford Barn has a lot to offer too.

27. Before the HAMB I bothered people in person rather than digitally.
    Chappy

hrm2k likes this.
  28. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Before the HAMB, I was a musician. Some of my on stage antics ( like going as a used tampon on Halloween ) ended my musical career
    [​IMG]

TOXIC SHOCK

alanp561 likes this.
  29. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

Spent a lot less time on the internet.