Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Are these repro

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sawzall, Oct 30, 2019.

1. sawzall

sawzall

Or just super clean originals?[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Last edited: Oct 30, 2019
  3. oldolds

oldolds

Pics of the back, please.

302GMC likes this.
  4. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hard to tell when you are rolling down the road. Either way, slap them on your car and go have fun.

-Abone.

5. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Ha ha ! You have my way of thinkin “ are they real ? “ my answer “ Damn right they are real ! Real fun on my car ! “

BigO, INVISIBLEKID and Jim Bouchard like this.
  6. Cheapstreet duster

Cheapstreet duster
    from georgia

since there appears to only be 3. maybe he needs to know their origin so he can source a 4th...
    just a guess.. but i like them..

quick85 likes this.
  7. I doesn't really matter as those look great, but I thought originals would have been painted. Also a close up of the crest might help.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    dana barlow likes this.
  8. Great to see you posting, Sawzall- how's school going?

9. bonneville bones

bonneville bones

Hey Jeff, they’re fake junk ! Throw them in the trash! I’ll swing by and make sure they get taken out...

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2019-10-31_7-10-36.png
    Hello,
    The ones that were in our neighborhood group's old hot rods was the one that had a beige/white color around the rings. That was in 1957. But, over the years, re-pops could have taken those painted rings out of the equation. At any rate, they still look good painted or not. They were very popular on sedans and hot rod coupes. Most of the time they were on whitewalls, but also looked good on blackwalls, too.

Jnaki

We learned early on that if the hubcap was still on the car and was jacked up off of the ground, an almost perfect circle paint stripe could be painted on the rim, tire, or hubcap by rotating the tire. We were not pro pinstriping guys, but were told to do it at home that way.

If you like those 3 prong flipper hubcaps, add the painted stripes. It is the overall look those three prong flipper hubcaps give the hot rod. Most will not see the detail other than the 3 prong flipper style on your car.

1951 Oldsmobile cruiser/hot rod

If they were so popular, why did my brother end up with those cool Moon Discs instead of the three prong flippers? Those dang flipper hubcaps kept coming off on turns and bumps. So, if I was in the car, it was my job to go get them. Most of the time, they were fine, no scratches and dents. But the two times they did get dents, my brother tried the wire safety hold set up on all hubcaps. The hubcaps did not come off, until they did and made a racket as well as damaging the hubcaps.
    upload_2019-10-31_7-41-11.png SIMILAR STYLE OF HUBCAP LOCK
    So, I was responsible for screwing on the Moon Discs and they would never come off.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/cruising-the-local-strip-stories.1002892/#post-13300583

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    catdad49 likes this.
  11. Paul

Paul
    Editor

Yes the rings came painted from the factory as well as behind the medallion but if those were cleaned and polished during restoration the paint could have been left off, possibly so the buyer (you) could choose the color.

12. maneri

maneri
    from ohio

the real ones have flippers bolted on not twisted tabs { memory maybe not so good }

13. bangngears

bangngears
    from ofallon mo

Those cable hubcap locks are fine until a hubcap comes loose. Ask me how i know

BigO, Gman0046 and lurker mick like this.
  14. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not Painted... let's see the back...

15. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg P image.jpeg Here a set of originals

Attached Files:

BigO, sawzall, kadillackid and 2 others like this.
  16. sawzall

sawzall

Thanks guys..

Mac. School is for squares!!! Haha like me.. still showing up every day..
    This set of 3 were super cheap and this will be the third time I own 3 of these darn things..( if I had 2 I'd just run them on one side!!!)

Anyway, I see this as an omen. I need to find a 4th asap! My olds deserves olds caps!!

Sent from my SM-A102U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

BigO and Boneyard51 like this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

To me they look like originals that had the paint buffed off during some kind of restoration work. I've got a set of originals from the BobK estate and I can't point out anything that's different on mine based on that pic other than the lack of paint. Most of the old repops I've had were chrome plated steel although stainless ones could exist. Pics of the back sides and outer grip ring would help. Great looking caps either way.

18. fullhouse296

fullhouse296
    from Australia

Had lots of em in New Zealand .We called them ,Starfire hubcaps .

19. sawzall

sawzall

Found #4. These are originals Fit like a glove!![​IMG]

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

20. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Lookin good !

21. Not gonna ask, i already know..? BigO