Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical A Moving experience

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Artworx, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Artworx

Artworx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Here is a pretty good picture of my front end. Nothing strange. P@J tube axle and four bars. Here's the thing; Every time I ride a ways the shock mount swivels around 90 degrees. I bought a big open-end and turn it back all the time. So why does it move? Should there be some locking washer or something to keep it tight to the bat-wing? Its chrome to chrome (or stainless, I don't know) so any burr would cut through the plating.
    If you'll remember my car was kinda in storage for many years. Not lost but not driven much. I try to take it out at least once a month so I'm finding out all kinds of interesting facts about the car.
    Anyhow, what's the answer to less maintenance? Thanks, Jer in California, (who is all out of clever phrases)

Attached Files:

2. Artworx

Artworx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Perhaps I am not as clear as I intend: The lower shock mount rotates during use. Both sides.

3. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Might they be upside down, swapped side for side?

Just an idiot taking a guess. Never used them.

dana barlow likes this.
  4. Cut a keyway to keep them in position?

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

So is the picture of what they should look like or how they have turned 90*?

6. Tighten it up, use a socket and a cheater bar, I had that problem when I had a tube axle and 4 bar. HRP

dana barlow likes this.
  7. the flatlander

the flatlander

Do like the hotrodprimer guy says, big ass pry bar & some lock tight too.(and obviously a elastic stop nut, even a half one). Speedway (or Chinese Sam's) we call it, sells a pair with a slot, but in both the perch & the lwr. sk. mount. stupid ! They told one of my customers to just put a piece of metal to line up both. More Chinese shit for sure ! I don't let that cheep crap n my shop, but many newbies shop money. Sorry. that's all.

8. I did this on my truck. I cut a small slit in it and put a keyway there. Some manufacturers make them with a keyway already in it but I forgot who it is.

cactus1 likes this.
  9. raven

raven

The key is not in the key way.
    r

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

10. sdroadster

sdroadster

Cut a keyway in the perch, and lower mount.

11. LM14

LM14
    Member Emeritus
    from Iowa

I have a Pete and Jake chassis under my '32 and it uses the exact same setup. Was surprised there was no keyway as Speedway uses a 1/4" keyway on theirs. I just tightened it with a big wrench and hasn't moved in the first 100 miles I've driven it in the last 3 days. Keeping an eye on it. Tomorrow I plan to check all the bolts in the suspension and see if anything is moving. Hoping keeping it tight is the trick until it takes a set.
    SPark

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Ha! The keyway is small, and strips out in a few miles. Tightening it will over torque the Chinese metal, it will not fix the problem.
    I had the related problem of wishbone perches moving inward when 'bones were chopped off, (running spring behind axle, turned around backward to use '37 perches)
    Welded perches to '37 tube axle, just 1/2" of weld. Excellent. (Norm Grabowski told me he had to do that on the 'Lightnin' Bug' in '57, when he turned the axle around. (Neil Emory did it to his for him)
    Ergo, when a customer came in with these @#&^&%$# P&J shock mounts, I simply heli-arced them 3/8" around back perimeters, (the 'Trick Keyways' had torn out)
    If needed, the tiny welds could be removed with a 1/16" disc.

Jim Bouchard likes this.
  13. Never2old

Never2old
    from so cal

Are all of those details stainless?
    I welded my lower mounts to the “bat wings” so they won’t rotate. Mine are painted but you might just repolish.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

You could try to dutch pin the mount..Bolt in position and drill a 1/8th " at the mating surface in line with taper as close as possible just up to the perch bolt..Insert a 1/8th" dia split pin of the same length as the hole is deep..You will be creating a keyway of sorts..Could do in couple places; 90° or so apart..

pitman, loudbang and LWEL9226 like this.
  15. Artworx

Artworx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Good comments so far but no real solution. Fontana's idea is better then the keyway. Speedway has the slotted mounts but I would have to cut another matching on the bolt I guess. I like the drill thru idea so far.
    Thanx. Jer

16. lothiandon1940 likes this.
  17. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Are the shock mounts P&J's also? If so, call them and ask for a solution.

18. 31Apickup

31Apickup

I’d guess there is a slight misalignment between the upper and lower mounts. Something has to give. I’ve heard of a number of people have this same issue, along with quite a few who never have had this issue at all. Mine don’t have key ways and have never rotated in 30 some years.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

saltflats likes this.
  19. I have the P&J Superbell setup. Lower shock mount has not moved 50k miles.

Phil

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  20. rocknwrench

rocknwrench

isn it really ok to mention spedway in any post regarding suspension or braking components?....i mean, really?

21. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

Mine are non keyed and yes they did move until they were tightened to the correct torque . German Tight = Goot and Tight or translated to English = Smoke Tight . That is a big diameter fastener ( spring perch ) and I use a swedge lock nut no nylock nuts here.