Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1937 Ford pick up front suspension question

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by vinniedatorch, Jun 3, 2019.

1. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

I agree with Alchemy, the four links don't work well with spring in front suspension, plus you lose steering radius. The split wishbones are stronger and provide better brake response.

vinniedatorch and olscrounger like this.
  2. Tajer

Tajer

Here is a pick of my 36 , stance I think is just nice. 4 inch drop axle disc set up and stock wish bone, steers nice. I did take a leaf out of front stock spring to make it softer.

Attached Files:

3. @alchemy is spot on. I have installed 2 of these speedway 4 bar setups on local guys cars in the last 10 years, They had already bought them so I was unable to warn them, the steering radius is drastically reduced and it is not as smooth a ride compared to the stock set up in my opinion. The first one in a 39 coupe, he sold it a year later, and the second a 40 Tudor, he brought it back to me to remove the four, and put a dropped 36 axle and spilt wishbone.

One this to remember, if you go with a split wish bone, when you split the wishbone and spread it apart for trans clearance or whatever the case may be, you have now changed the angle of the spring shackle perch at the end of the wishbone in front of the axle. You will have to heat the shackle perch at the end of the wishbone with a torch and bend it to bring it back to 90 degrees to the front axle. Other wise your front spring will be in a constant bind and it will not ride happy. Also Before you cut the wish bone apart, measure and note down the distance between the spring shackle perches. When you heat and bend the spring shackle perches back to 90 degrees to the axle, you need to make sure that the distance is the same as it was originally. the shackles should be at 45 degrees when properly loaded with the cars weight on the ground. Depending on how it works out, you may end up having to have a different width spring, or at least different width main leaf made to get the appropriate length spring. But not always. Try not to mix and match years of axle and wish bones. If you use a 33 to 36 axle, use a 35 36 wishbone. if you use a 37 to 40 axle, use a 37 to 40 wish bone. it makes it much easier to get the spring shackle perches bent back to the proper 90 degrees to the axle and maintain the right distance between them.

4. Roothawg

Roothawg

This is a timely thread. I used a 4" CE axle on the 35 Produce Truck. It has a reversed Posies spring and split bones. It rides great on smooth roads, but on an Oklahoma back road it rides like crap.

See the build here: https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/the-legrange-produce-tribute-truck-build.936696/page-2

I am thinking there has to be a better way. This thing sounds like it is hitting metal to metal. I think I may be hitting the bones. I am suspect of the spring. I have talked to Sid and he has a stock spring pack set back for me. I am thinking of using the main leaf from the Ford pack and reversing it.

It shouldn't wear you out after an hour behind the wheel, but it does. My roadster drives 10X better.
    Ideas?

5. alchemy

alchemy

Root, can you poke around underneath and see where the metal hitting metal is happening? With all that shiny paint it should be obvious. I know that the clearance between wishbones and the steering box mount is sometimes too close.

6. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yeah, I’m going to put it in the lift and look for witness marks when I get some time.

It’s just way clunkier than I likely and it is a 37-41 axle on 1940 bones btw.

I used all CE stuff except the spring. It sits right, but man it sure makes a man wanna M2 it. I’m trying, but after 35 years of driving solid axle cars, I am beginning to question it.

I know guys that log a lot of miles on a straight axle and they don’t have the same issues.

I have a dropped 36 axle, Sid did for me, but I was afraid it would be too wide.

7. alchemy

alchemy

I usta have a 39 Chevy with a MII front suspension. While it rode nice, my current 32 Ford with a straight axle and original wishbone rides better. The MII seemed a little harsher, and it even had stock springs in it. The power steering was nice though.

Nailhead Jason likes this.
  8. Roothawg

Roothawg

Mine tracks like it is on a rail, but God forbid you hit a RR track or pothole! It shakes your teeth out. I can’t imagine anything any harsher.

9. Nova Thug

Nova Thug
    from SG Vizzle

You might look at your shocks. They might be bottoming out or not the appropriate length for your setup..

Roothawg likes this.